5,593,401 Members 36,166 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Let's get to the bottom of kingo. (Owned)

Tip us?
 
DrPhant0m
Old
(Last edited by DrPhant0m; 18th March 2014 at 02:46 PM.)
#21  
Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 74
Join Date: Oct 2010
bump

I'm still on MI9, and I used the original Root De La Vega technique to do so. However, I'd like to know what's "under the hood" with Kingo before Verizon releases a kitkat update... in hopes that kingo's reputation will be cleared and also that kingo will be able to keep root on my phone when I update to kit kat. (Both tall orders, I know)

If I can throw in my two cents of paranoia... I realize that thousands of users have "used kingo and have not realized any issues" so my concern is not for popups or adware or anything that a user would realize. Besides, wiping the phone and installing a fresh ROM would probably fix that. Root access is a two-way street. Perhaps there's a possibility that part of my bandwidth or CPU power is being sapped (through an app or skimmed info I mention later) for some kind of crowd-computing bot network with nefarious intentions. That's concerning, too. But, data and battery impact would be evident.

<tin foil hat>
But... perhaps, during that initial kingo run, the combination of ESN, IMEI, and SIM card info unique to your specific phone is stored and archived somewhere; enough to "clone" your phone elsewhere, to be used in the future for whatever purpose necessary. Is this possible? I only know what I've seen on TV and the movies. Like...

Imagine if someone at the post office skimmed everyone's credit card as they passed through the mail, and saved the info (as they did in 1992's "Mo' Money" starring Damon Wayans)... so that individual could, at any time, swipe a blank card through a magstrip writer, and "clone" any of the cards that they skimmed for their own use. (I have personally been compromised in this way - being alerted that my debit card was used to purchase high-dollar works of art from a gallery in Canada. I was 16, and attending high school in pennsylvania) Now... swap out the credit cards for cell phone info... and that's one explanation of why kingo does what they do, the way they are doing it... with no noticeable impact to the user. Yet. I don't want to sound dramatic... but, a possibility could exist for an explosive device to be triggered with a burner phone that has been cloned from someone that rooted with kingo. You receive a seemingly random text message from an unknown number... and something explodes somewhere.
</tin foil hat>
 
alsgarage
Old
#22  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 30
Join Date: Jun 2011
Aww dang it. I guess I'm going to wait for another method to be on the safe side. ..... flashing withdrawal though. .....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
warriorpluto
Old
#23  
warriorpluto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 1,160
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: in the streets racing
Yea I downloaded the new kingo and my ip blocker blocked their ftp access.I knew something was up

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app
my feedback
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8-warriorpluto

Originally Posted by xxnitro123
yee ill take screenshots... when i take a pic of the screen it doenst show in the picture because the color interferes with the light
 
warriorpluto
Old
#24  
warriorpluto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 1,160
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: in the streets racing
Any updates?

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app
my feedback
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8-warriorpluto

Originally Posted by xxnitro123
yee ill take screenshots... when i take a pic of the screen it doenst show in the picture because the color interferes with the light
 
mjh68
Old
#25  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 307
Posts: 1,375
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhant0m View Post
bump

I'm still on MI9, and I used the original Root De La Vega technique to do so. However, I'd like to know what's "under the hood" with Kingo before Verizon releases a kitkat update... in hopes that kingo's reputation will be cleared and also that kingo will be able to keep root on my phone when I update to kit kat. (Both tall orders, I know)

If I can throw in my two cents of paranoia... I realize that thousands of users have "used kingo and have not realized any issues" so my concern is not for popups or adware or anything that a user would realize. Besides, wiping the phone and installing a fresh ROM would probably fix that. Root access is a two-way street. Perhaps there's a possibility that part of my bandwidth or CPU power is being sapped (through an app or skimmed info I mention later) for some kind of crowd-computing bot network with nefarious intentions. That's concerning, too. But, data and battery impact would be evident.

<tin foil hat>
But... perhaps, during that initial kingo run, the combination of ESN, IMEI, and SIM card info unique to your specific phone is stored and archived somewhere; enough to "clone" your phone elsewhere, to be used in the future for whatever purpose necessary. Is this possible? I only know what I've seen on TV and the movies. Like...

Imagine if someone at the post office skimmed everyone's credit card as they passed through the mail, and saved the info (as they did in 1992's "Mo' Money" starring Damon Wayans)... so that individual could, at any time, swipe a blank card through a magstrip writer, and "clone" any of the cards that they skimmed for their own use. (I have personally been compromised in this way - being alerted that my debit card was used to purchase high-dollar works of art from a gallery in Canada. I was 16, and attending high school in pennsylvania) Now... swap out the credit cards for cell phone info... and that's one explanation of why kingo does what they do, the way they are doing it... with no noticeable impact to the user. Yet. I don't want to sound dramatic... but, a possibility could exist for an explosive device to be triggered with a burner phone that has been cloned from someone that rooted with kingo. You receive a seemingly random text message from an unknown number... and something explodes somewhere.
</tin foil hat>
Lol..should make a movie

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
alt230
Old
#26  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 81
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default Help rooting my VZW note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRedline View Post
Nice work, I am looking forward to seeing where you get with this. I rooted with kingo a little while back.
How? I tried and tried rooting with Kingo. It kept coming back to the "root" radio button after, "root failed". If there's something I need to do first please tell me. I checked the" allow from unknown sources" tab after unhiding the USB area. As far as I can tell I prepped it as described.
 
warriorpluto
Old
#27  
warriorpluto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 1,160
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: in the streets racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt230 View Post
How? I tried and tried rooting with Kingo. It kept coming back to the "root" radio button after, "root failed". If there's something I need to do first please tell me. I checked the" allow from unknown sources" tab after unhiding the USB area. As far as I can tell I prepped it as described.
Probably your firewall blocking their connection lol and its a good thing its blocking it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using xda app-developers app
my feedback
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8-warriorpluto

Originally Posted by xxnitro123
yee ill take screenshots... when i take a pic of the screen it doenst show in the picture because the color interferes with the light
 
ryanbg
Old
#28  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 362
Posts: 260
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Minnesota
Camera Driver Vulnerability
The Following User Says Thank You to ryanbg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
christianpeso
Old
#29  
christianpeso's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 77
Posts: 373
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbg View Post
Does this explain the mtkcamera.apk being installed during the rooting process?
 
warriorpluto
Old
#30  
warriorpluto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 1,160
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: in the streets racing
Bump

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app
my feedback
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8-warriorpluto

Originally Posted by xxnitro123
yee ill take screenshots... when i take a pic of the screen it doenst show in the picture because the color interferes with the light

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes