Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

<SOLVED>[Q] TA backup with firmware 14.3.A.0.683 (Sony Xperia Z1 C6903)

OP kentexcitebot

31st March 2014, 01:26 AM   |  #1  
kentexcitebot's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
99 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Hi,

I'm trying to backup the TA on my Xperia Z1 (C6903) running the stock KitKat firmware (14.3.A.0.681). From what I understand though, you need root to backup the partition, but to get root, you need an unlocked boot loader. I've seen a few tools that roots without unlocking the boot loader, but I need to downgrade the firmware to at least Android 4.2.2. Downgrading requires an unlocked boot loader.

Are developers working on a root-and-unlock tool for 14.3.A.0.681? Is there already a tool out there?

Thanks in advanced. Sorry for my arrogance.
Last edited by kentexcitebot; 1st April 2014 at 12:52 AM.
31st March 2014, 01:58 AM   |  #2  
Ahki767's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag CAT
Thanks Meter: 133
 
337 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentexcitebot

Hi,

I'm trying to backup the TA on my Xperia Z1 (C6903) running the stock KitKat firmware (14.3.A.0.681). From what I understand though, you need root to backup the partition, but to get root, you need an unlocked boot loader. I've seen a few tools that roots without unlocking the boot loader, but I need to downgrade the firmware to at least Android 4.2.2. Downgrading requires an unlocked boot loader.

Are developers working on a root-and-unlock tool for 14.3.A.0.681? Is there already a tool out there?

Thanks in advanced. Sorry for my arrogance.

You do not need an unlocked bootloader to get root and or to downgrade. Although yes, you would have to downgrade to 4.2 to get root. Just use flashtool to downgrade and pick a software to root
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahki767 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2014, 04:37 AM   |  #3  
kentexcitebot's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
99 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahki767

You do not need an unlocked bootloader to get root and or to downgrade. Although yes, you would have to downgrade to 4.2 to get root. Just use flashtool to downgrade and pick a software to root

Cool

Just a couple more questions. Any suggested 4.2.2 and 4.4.2 firmwares to flash (if you can, link them here)? To root 4.2.2, do I simply click on the unlock icon shown in link?

i.imgur.com/VUs5Ele.png
Last edited by kentexcitebot; 31st March 2014 at 04:47 AM. Reason: grammar
31st March 2014, 04:58 AM   |  #4  
Ahki767's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag CAT
Thanks Meter: 133
 
337 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentexcitebot

Cool

Just a couple more questions. Any suggested 4.2.2 and 4.4.2 firmwares to flash (if you can, link them here)? To root 4.2.2, do I simply click on the unlock icon shown in link?

i.imgur.com/VUs5Ele.png

Just grab the ftf's for your device here and proceed to follow the guides
31st March 2014, 06:42 AM   |  #5  
kentexcitebot's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
99 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahki767

Just grab the ftf's for your device here and proceed to follow the guides

I've used vroot 1.7.3 english and everything installed fine. However, when I installed the Root Checker app from Google play it reads "Sorry, this device isn't properly rooted."

Here's what I did / planning, in order:

1) Downloaded C6903 14.3.A.0.681 Global 1277-2880_R5C
2) Downloaded 14.1.G.1.534 downgrade FTF [NUT]
3)Pasted the 2 FTFs in the Firmware Folder under Flashtool
4)Flashed 14.1.G.1.534 downgrade FTF [NUT] using Flashtool from Androxyde (latest version)
5)Installed vroot English (1.7.3)
6)Clicked on the Root button. Phones reboots twice
7)After phone first start I was greeted with an error message from "Kingsapp".
8)Installed Root Checker from Google Play
9a)"Not properly rooted" <-- I'm right here
9b)If "root successful", proceed to flash C6903 14.3.A.0.681 Global 1277-2880_R5C

I did some research and people are pointing everywhere, vroot, bin4ry's rooting method, 360 (can't install).
Did I lose my TA partition? My X-Reality goodies?
What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by kentexcitebot; 31st March 2014 at 06:47 AM. Reason: vroot version check
31st March 2014, 06:57 AM   |  #6  
Ahki767's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag CAT
Thanks Meter: 133
 
337 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentexcitebot

I've used vroot 1.7.3 english and everything installed fine. However, when I installed the Root Checker app from Google play it reads "Sorry, this device isn't properly rooted."

I did some research and people are pointing everywhere, vroot, bin4ry's rooting method, 360 (can't install).
Did I lose my TA partition? My X-Reality goodies?
What am I doing wrong?

Okay so now you are still on .534 firmware right? Do you have usb debugging on?
And also try rooting with bin4ry if vroot doesn't work for you.
Don't worry, you won't lose x-reality unless you've unlocked your bootloader
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahki767 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2014, 07:04 AM   |  #7  
kentexcitebot's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
99 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahki767

Okay so now you are still on .534 firmware right? Do you have usb debugging on?
And also try rooting with bin4ry if vroot doesn't work for you.
Don't worry, you won't lose x-reality unless you've unlocked your bootloader

"Su upgrade failed. Missing root permission"
Yes, I'm on the .534 firmware. USB Debug turned on.
I'll try bin4ry's root now.
Once I'm through TA backup, I just need to flash 14.3.A.0.681 Global 1277-2880_R5C?
Last edited by kentexcitebot; 31st March 2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: extra info
31st March 2014, 07:20 AM   |  #8  
Ahki767's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag CAT
Thanks Meter: 133
 
337 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentexcitebot

"Su upgrade failed. Missing root permission"
Yes, I'm on the .534 firmware. USB Debug turned on.
I'll try bin4ry's root now.
Once I'm through TA backup, I just need to flash 14.3.A.0.681 Global 1277-2880_R5C?

If you still can't get root, try using nuts z1-lockdualrecovery installer and after flash nuts .681
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahki767 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st April 2014, 12:41 AM   |  #9  
kentexcitebot's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
99 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahki767

If you still can't get root, try using nuts z1-lockdualrecovery installer and after flash nuts .681

I was able to root and deodex the Kitkat rom. Xreality and other goodies working just fine.

Thanks so much Thread Solved.

+1

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes