XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Block Ads on Surface! :D

Tip us?

freeandroid4248
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Lang View Post
Ok, so disclaimer: this isn't the same as Ad Block, some ads will slip through, and there will probably be IE error messages popping up.

However, if you despise adverts and are ready to give feedback, this does block many ads.
So, what we're doing is editing Windows' built-in hosts file to block these addresses at the source.

First, download the hosts file attached here.
Then, browse to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" and rename "hosts" to "hosts.old"
Then copy and paste the file you downloaded into the folder, making sure there is no file extension (go to View>show/hide file extensions)

Next, open CMD as admin (start>cmd>right click>run as admin)
Type "net stop dnscache" and hit enter.
After a couple minutes that'll finish.
Type "sc config dnscache start= disabled"

Reboot your Surface (or other device)

You're now (mostly) ad-free! Let me know what you think, and what effects this has on page load speed. (negligible to me, but I'm on a high-speed, slow connections would most benefit.)
Why not just enable some tracking protection lists under Internet Explorer add-ons? It seems to block most, if not all ads for me, even on torrent sites and to me, this seems much easier than a host file.

I enabled the following lists: EasyList Standard, EasyPrivacy.

http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2473
TPLs only block ads in IE, HOSTS files can block them in everything across the whole system.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

freeandroid4248
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
TPLs only block ads in IE, HOSTS files can block them in everything across the whole system.
ohhhh okay I get it.