Happy with AOKP 4.2.2 on SCH-I500

8th February 2014, 09:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Milford, MI
Thanks Meter: 17

40 posts
Donate to Me
More
A friend retired her Fassy, indicating that it was dog slow, wouldn't hold a charge, and took foreva to take a charge. She asked me if I wanted to play with it for a bit.

I got it, and kept it off to charge it up - seemed to top off in a reasonable amount to time - not too quick, not too slow. Once charged, I hopped on it and, woah, she definitely had something corrupted.

I went into eff it mode, pulled down all of her pics/vids/audio/dls/snaps/etc. and proceeded to root it and install a recovery. Having only owned my GS3, I have only ever been exposed to 4.x versions of android. With this device having a 2.x flavor onboard, I felt the rush of discovering something old and admiring changes for the better and observing trusted old ways of the wise.

I actually struggled a bit finding a good way to root it and get a recovery installed. I ended up following Section 4 herein and got CWM installed. From there, it was gravy getting AOKP 4.2.2 installed.

I ran some testing over the last few days, just to see how the battery survived this current generation version of Android on some older chassis' hardware. Frankly, I am really surprised that it lasted as long as it did. I kept WiFi on and have a reasonable amount of apps installed (the norm social media, gapps, etc.). I think it is safe to say that her battery and hardware are very likely fine.

Of course, real-world use will predicate a much shorter battery life. But, I think it will work fine for her, for now. And, yes, she wants it back... I was hoping she would say 'just keep it' as I was looking forward to having another droid to play with, besides my main phone (GS3) that I can't afford to be playing with too much, as it is my link to work here at the home office.

Anyways, wanted to drop a note confirming a positive experience with the Fassy and Android 4.x. Peace. Out.

-t

Last edited by TodWulff; 8th February 2014 at 09:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TodWulff For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th February 2014, 04:46 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 59

352 posts
i was running 4.22 based Jellybro version 7-17(the last one before they stopped developing for it) for a while. Without the devil Kernel, I got battery life of about a day and 8 hours. With 7-19 Devil Kenel I was getting around 2-3 days total. Granted I ran without mobile data turned on but I did use it with Talk and Text plus wifi so without the 3G radio to sap the battery, my results might be a little biased. Also I use 3500 mah batteries.

I am playing with Paranoid Android(4.4 based ROM) on that Fassy and battery life is even better. It;s got some glitches in it though but I like where it;s heading.
10th February 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Back from the dead
Hi.

I'm trying to resurrect my old samsung fascinate from verizon. It's rooted with EH09 but it won't charge my new battery. Can you post the link for the AOKP 4.2.2 rom you installed?

Thanks,

Devan
12th February 2014, 02:41 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 59

352 posts
this might be what you are looking for.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2185502

stay with the 4.22 versions, the 4.3 and 4.4 versions are more experimental and mobile data might not be working correctly or a littlle flaky.
31st March 2014, 11:52 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
I've been having an extended text issue with Geewiz 4.2.2 so I might give this a look. Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.2.2, aokp, battery, fascinate, goodness
Previous Thread Next Thread