FORUMS

PSA: You Can Optimize Your Note 4’s Recents Menu & RAM

The Note 4 never had the fastest Recents Menu, and despite its 3GB of RAM, … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (July 25 – Aug 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

[Q] Is my phone dead?

64 posts
Thanks Meter: 15
 
By wikitiki, Member on 1st April 2014, 02:54 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Here's what happened. My phone (running Slimbean 4.3) was plugged into my computer and I was going to drag and drop some music into it when the computer froze and then disconnected the phone. Phone also went black and now can't power on. No boot screen, and can't even get into download or recovery mode. Tried to use a different battery, doesn't work. Connecting it to the computer it, the computer makes a quick 3 note sound as if you disconnected something from a USB port. I think this is good bye for my almost 2 and a half year old Hercules?
 
 
1st April 2014, 03:13 AM |#2  
ArtfulDodger's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 1,373
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikitiki

Here's what happened. My phone (running Slimbean 4.3) was plugged into my computer and I was going to drag and drop some music into it when the computer froze and then disconnected the phone. Phone also went black and now can't power on. No boot screen, and can't even get into download or recovery mode. Tried to use a different battery, doesn't work. Connecting it to the computer it, the computer makes a quick 3 note sound as if you disconnected something from a USB port. I think this is good bye for my almost 2 and a half year old Hercules?

Slim was one of the first ROMs I tried when I got this phone, and as with a few others, if it RRs it can take several miuntes to reboot. Even after a battery pull. See if you can get into recovery by holding the power button down, then the power up and power down button all three at the same time. In fact try two or three times until you make it. If the phone is vibrating while you are trying your phone is not dead at all. In that case wait for the phone to boot and give it about 10 minutes tops. If nothing is happening, no vibration, no logo, no nothing, yeah you're done.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtfulDodger For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st April 2014, 04:11 AM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtfulDodger

Slim was one of the first ROMs I tried when I got this phone, and as with a few others, if it RRs it can take several miuntes to reboot. Even after a battery pull. See if you can get into recovery by holding the power button down, then the power up and power down button all three at the same time. In fact try two or three times until you make it. If the phone is vibrating while you are trying your phone is not dead at all. In that case wait for the phone to boot and give it about 10 minutes tops. If nothing is happening, no vibration, no logo, no nothing, yeah you're done.

Yeah I'm used to the reboots with vibrations. But this time there's none of that. The only signs of life are from the sound disconnecting when i plug it into my computer or from the stock charging adapter (high frequency sound when uncharged). Oh well. RIP Hercules, my first Android smartphone.
1st April 2014, 04:21 AM |#4  
ArtfulDodger's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 1,373
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikitiki

Yeah I'm used to the reboots with vibrations. But this time there's none of that. The only signs of life are from the sound disconnecting when i plug it into my computer or from the stock charging adapter (high frequency sound when uncharged). Oh well. RIP Hercules, my first Android smartphone.

Well, the good news is you can move on to something better. Lots of great options out there right now.
1st April 2014, 11:21 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
I've had the situation like that before. ODIN could pick up a port sometimes from feels like a dead phone. Try flush a stock ROM with this open port.It will fail because this is a media port. However it would installed smth which let the phone get in download mode after pulling out/reinserting the battery. No guaranty but might help.
4th April 2014, 01:10 AM |#6  
Darth's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Flag The Old Republic
Thanks Meter: 8,079
 
More
Try Odin as said. If not....new phone.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....
7th April 2014, 03:41 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
I think this is due to power button broken
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
black screen, dead
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes