FORUMS

New Xposed for Lollipop 5.0 Update Fixes Major Bugs

Senior Recognized Developer rovo89 has patched Xposed for Lollipop 5.0 to … more

Download Sony’s new AOSP-like concept for Xperia Z3

Over in our forums, Recognized Contributor Jozinek has posted a very … more

OnePlus 2 vs Moto X Style: Which is The Better Flagship?

Two big industry names have announced their newest flagship phones within the … more

Making Your Own Xposed Modules Is Easier Than You Think

Close to the heart of XDA is the Xposed Framework by Rovo89. Most of … more

Some noob questions. :eek:

62 posts
Thanks Meter: 2
 
By NiZii., Member on 1st April 2014, 12:33 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hello XDA community,

I've rooted my HTC One X+ like 2 months ago.
I still got the latest stock ROM but I want to put a custom ROM on it.

Which is this one:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1987885

I still got some questions about it since it will be the first time flashing a ROM, because the thread isn't really clear to me so I hope someone can help me out with a little bit more detailed guide than mentioned in the ROM thread.

1. Do I have to wipe all my data?

2. Is a dalvik wipe really needed?
I contacted the developer of the ROM he said I didn't have to but when I asked more things about it he didn't reply.

3. How to flash a boot.img?
I can't find a really good tutorial on that.

4. What's the really right order to perform this flash mentioned in above linked thread?

I hope anyone of you can help me out since most of the threads I've seen around people are bitching about: you shouldn't do it if you don't know what you are doing blablabla.
Since I really want to learn something about it too.


Sent from my HOX+
 
 
1st April 2014, 01:40 PM |#2  
LS.xD's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Lübeck
Thanks Meter: 962
 
Donate to Me
More
Sign
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiZii.

Hello XDA community,

I've rooted my HTC One X+ like 2 months ago.
I still got the latest stock ROM but I want to put a custom ROM on it.

Which is this one:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1987885

I still got some questions about it since it will be the first time flashing a ROM, because the thread isn't really clear to me so I hope someone can help me out with a little bit more detailed guide than mentioned in the ROM thread.

1. Do I have to wipe all my data?

2. Is a dalvik wipe really needed?
I contacted the developer of the ROM he said I didn't have to but when I asked more things about it he didn't reply.

3. How to flash a boot.img?
I can't find a really good tutorial on that.

4. What's the really right order to perform this flash mentioned in above linked thread?

I hope anyone of you can help me out since most of the threads I've seen around people are bitching about: you shouldn't do it if you don't know what you are doing blablabla.
Since I really want to learn something about it too.


Sent from my HOX+

FULL WIPE is clearly recommended when you want to flash another rom. That means (/boot) /system /data /cache /dalvik. You can try it without a FULL WIPE but that will causes errors in most cases.

You need a working HTC USB cable

You need working adb/fastboot, download it from here

You need latest HTC drivers, download it from here

You need a GOOD custom recovery, download it from here

Additionally you need a flashable rom + boot.img

When you got all these we can proceed with flashing a rom
Last edited by LS.xD; 1st April 2014 at 01:43 PM.
1st April 2014, 02:47 PM |#3  
NiZii.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS.xD

FULL WIPE is clearly recommended when you want to flash another rom. That means (/boot) /system /data /cache /dalvik. You can try it without a FULL WIPE but that will causes errors in most cases.

You need a working HTC USB cable

You need working adb/fastboot, download it from here

You need latest HTC drivers, download it from here

You need a GOOD custom recovery, download it from here

Additionally you need a flashable rom + boot.img

When you got all these we can proceed with flashing a rom

Hello LS.xD,

Thanks for your reply.
I am not at home at the moment.
I will be in about 4.5 or 5 hours, so I will download everything then.
I got the recovery flashed already, so I can probably skip that.

My HTC drivers are probably outdated.
Since my HTC desktop programm had to update the last time I opened it.

And I downloaded the files of the ROM too.

Sent from my HOX+
1st April 2014, 03:01 PM |#4  
NiZii.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
By the way LS.xD,

I got 'CWM-based Recovery v6.0.3.2'. (That's what it says in the top when I am in recovery mode)

I got three wipe options:
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- wipe dalvik cache

These are all the wipes I got to perform AFTER installing the zip right? Because if you do it before you will wipe the zip file, is that right?

Sent from my HOX+
1st April 2014, 03:19 PM |#5  
LS.xD's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Lübeck
Thanks Meter: 962
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiZii.

By the way LS.xD,

I got 'CWM-based Recovery v6.0.3.2'. (That's what it says in the top when I am in recovery mode)

I got three wipe options:
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- wipe dalvik cache

These are all the wipes I got to perform AFTER installing the zip right? Because if you do it before you will wipe the zip file, is that right?

Sent from my HOX+

Its for a reason i recommended the recovery in my post. Pls install and THEN we can go on

and NO you first perform the wipe and then install a rom.

and pls uninstall HTC sync before using fastboot to flash boot.img as it will cause errors if you have htc sync installed.
Last edited by LS.xD; 1st April 2014 at 03:31 PM.
1st April 2014, 03:36 PM |#6  
NiZii.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS.xD

Its for a reason i recommended the recovery in my post. Pls install and THEN we can go on

and NO you first perform the wipe and then install a rom.

and pls uninstall HTC sync before using fastboot to flash boot.img as it will cause errors if you have htc sync installed.

Okay I will do that when I am home. Thanks for the patience with me and all the help, nobody was replying in other threads so I really appreciate all your help.

Sent from my HOX+
1st April 2014, 03:40 PM |#7  
NiZii.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
One more question, what is a safe spot to put the ROM zip file on? So it doesn't get wiped? (HOX+ doesn't have a SD slot, just 64GB internal)

Sent from my HOX+
1st April 2014, 03:50 PM |#8  
LS.xD's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Lübeck
Thanks Meter: 962
 
Donate to Me
More
Info 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiZii.

One more question, what is a safe spot to put the ROM zip file on? So it doesn't get wiped? (HOX+ doesn't have a SD slot, just 64GB internal)

Sent from my HOX+


Thats totally safe as long as you dont WIPE or FORMAT /sdcard LOL
1st April 2014, 03:53 PM |#9  
NiZii.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Probably a dumb question, but if you do a factory reset your music and pictures will be deleted, why doesn't the zip file be deleted? I will test it at home though. Factory reset, put the zip file on it, then factory reset again in recovery and look if the zip file still exists on my phone.

Sent from my HOX+
1st April 2014, 03:57 PM |#10  
LS.xD's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Lübeck
Thanks Meter: 962
 
Donate to Me
More
Exclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiZii.

Probably a dumb question, but if you do a factory reset your music and pictures will be deleted, why doesn't the zip file be deleted? I will test it at home though. Factory reset, put the zip file on it, then factory reset again in recovery and look if the zip file still exists on my phone.

Sent from my HOX+


MAN be patient pls. Install the recovery i suggested. Then everything will be clear and safe once you opened it. DONT perform factory reset / clear storage in bootloader mode!!!
1st April 2014, 04:26 PM |#11  
NiZii.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS.xD

MAN be patient pls. Install the recovery i suggested. Then everything will be clear and safe once you opened it. DONT perform factory reset / clear storage in bootloader mode!!!

I am sorry, I will tell you when I did..

Sent from my HOX+

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes