Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,299 Members 48,576 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unable to select /sdcard when in recovery

Tip us?

metafizik
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Unable to select /sdcard when in recovery

I have rooted many mobile devices and flashed numerous ROMS. However I recently purchased a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition and have not been able to get very far in my attempts to root, etc. I have tried Odin and CF-Auto-Root and although it appears to be successful the device is not rooted. I want to install TWRP and then the knox free stock ROM. I am able to push the necessary files to the sdcard with ADB and I can see that the files are in /sdcard using ES File explorer. However when I boot into recovery mode /sdcard is red and at the top of the list and it will not let me navigate to it to install any zip files. I though at first it might be because of the MobileIron I use for company email but I did a factory reset and still have this problem. I just need to root the device so I can use Titanium BU to remove the Samsung apps I don't want. Any help with this would be most appreciated. What do I need to do?

~metafizik

metafizik
Old
(Last edited by metafizik; 29th March 2014 at 02:55 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ultimately I think the first thing I need to resolve is that even though the Odin rooting process appears to be working according to Odin(PASS). The fact is that regardless which combination of Odin 3.07/3.09 and CF-Auto-Root (tried 2 versions) even though Odin says it was successful it turns out the device is not getting rooted. This should be a no brainer but for for whatever reason this device will not root so far.

metafizik
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Bumping this as I have not received any replies. I am hoping that someone has run across a similar situation and can offer some guidance.

Thank you,

~metafizik

mikep2323
Old
(Last edited by mikep2323; 31st March 2014 at 07:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by metafizik View Post
Ultimately I think the first thing I need to resolve is that even though the Odin rooting process appears to be working according to Odin(PASS). The fact is that regardless which combination of Odin 3.07/3.09 and CF-Auto-Root (tried 2 versions) even though Odin says it was successful it turns out the device is not getting rooted. This should be a no brainer but for for whatever reason this device will not root so far.
Did you install super su?Did you try to flash twrp.If your not rooted twrp will ask to root.Have you tried to install a root app and see if the permissions pop up?

When you say recovery do you mean the stock one?Im pretty sure i had same problem.It was rooted but i thought it wasnt.

metafizik
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep2323 View Post
Did you install super su?Did you try to flash twrp.If your not rooted twrp will ask to root.Have you tried to install a root app and see if the permissions pop up?

When you say recovery do you mean the stock one?Im pretty sure i had same problem.It was rooted but i thought it wasnt.
This is a very strange deal. As previously stated I have tried various combinations of Odin and CF-Auto-Root and the Odin process completes with PASS. However when I boot the OS and run Titanium it is never able to gain root access and Root Checker says it is not rooted. Unfortunately even after doing a factory reset the MobileIron Admin console at work says it is rooted so I can't use it for company email. I have definitely tripped the Knox bit. Also I want to install TWRP and have pushed the file to /sdcard and can see it there using a file explorer app. However when I boot into stock recovery I cannot see any of the zip files I have copied there. I also tried to flash TWRP with Odin and again it completes with PASS but TWRP never gets installed. And yes I installed SuperSU but did so from the Play Store.

I purchased this device just last week. I am wondering if maybe Samsung has changed things in the past few weeks and locked these friggin things down even more? This is the first device of many I have owned that I couldn't root or install a custom recovery or ROM. In any case this will definitely be my last Samsung device. I would however like to do whatever I so desire with it since I paid good money for it.

metafizik
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I have resolved all of the problems I was having. They were all due to Knox and my inexperience with it. I was fortunate to have customized my Note 2 before it received the Knox updates. All is well and there is no new unknown vodoo lurking in the latest iteration of Samsung devices.