Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,856 Members 47,385 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

activating phone from an upgrade not yours

Tip us?

topaz330
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default activating phone from an upgrade not yours

quick question... my scenario is that I used my wifes upgrade to get the m8 and phone just came in today. She is taking my s4. Do I need to first activate it under her account and then do the switch or can I just go online and activate it directly under my account? We have two separate accounts. Just seems tedious to have to first activate it on her account and then do the switch. THanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to topaz330 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fronc
Old
Thanks Meter 104

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330 View Post
quick question... my scenario is that I used my wifes upgrade to get the m8 and phone just came in today. She is taking my s4. Do I need to first activate it under her account and then do the switch or can I just go online and activate it directly under my account? We have two separate accounts. Just seems tedious to have to first activate it on her account and then do the switch. THanks!
You should call Verizon and see if they can activate it to yours, but you're probably going to need to go into a store to get a SIM card that is provisioned for your account. The SIM is what matters and what they sent you is probably set up for her line.

If you have a micro SIM you can just pop yours in and be fine. But I don't know if the s4 uses the same size SIM card.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
HTC One (m8) | Verizon Wireless 4G LTE | HTC Sense 6.0
The Following User Says Thank You to fronc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gator Brah
Old
Thanks Meter 18
i do this all the time with work. You can call them and authorize the device to be switched to your account without activating it on her line. You will have to be an admin on the her account or have someone on the line who is.

spiceditup
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330 View Post
I did the same thing as you, i just called in Verizon and they switched it over without activating the new M8 on my sister's line.
The Following User Says Thank You to spiceditup For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oneandroidnut
Old
Thanks Meter 352
it will work fine!
Currents:
Galaxy Note 3 Developer Edition Hyperdrive RLS 7
LG G3 Rooted/Recovery Awaiting Roms/Kernels
OnePlus One Invite GET YOURS HERE http://swappa.com/boneyard/post/UN2DY8
Sold:
OnePlus One 64 GB, HTC One M8, HTC One Max, HTC One, Nexus 7 Flo 32 GB, Google Chromecast, Galaxy S4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 7.0, HTC DNA, HTC Rezound, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible, Xoom 32 GB, Droid Bionic, Droid 2 Global, Droid X2, Droid X

topaz330
Old
(Last edited by topaz330; 1st April 2014 at 09:12 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceditup View Post
I did the same thing as you, i just called in Verizon and they switched it over without activating the new M8 on my sister's line.
thanks! did your sister need to be there or did they just activate this on your account? I just spole with a rep and they said since it's on two different accounts the phone needs to be active on her account for 24 hours before i switch. is that true?

l7777
Old
(Last edited by l7777; 1st April 2014 at 09:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 77
There's no magic in the SIM. You simply need the SIM number tied to your phone number. You can switch the SIM the same as you could switch the IMEI on older phones. The website walks you through it if you choose activate or switch device.

Assuming you're trying to keep your unlimited data, I would do it in the below order.

Activate the device on her account when you get it.
Take her SIM from the old phone and plug it into the GS4. If her old SIM is not a micro sim, simply go through the switch process again with your S4 and SIM.

You should be able to do all of the above as quickly as you can click through the website.
The Following User Says Thank You to l7777 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

topaz330
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
got it to work... just called back CS and got someone competent on the phone. They did the switch and all is well. THanks for the help fellas!

levilib
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I wouldn't imagine there'd be any need to call CS, just pop your SIM into the new phone (assuming it's a nano SIM (or you can cut it down)) and turn it on. The only thing that needs activating via CS is the new nano SIM that comes inside the M8, if you're using your original SIM then there shouldn't be anything to call CS about.

The above only applies if both phones and lines are using LTE phones with SIM cards, if they're still on 3G phones with no SIM, then you'll need CS to switch lines and phones around.
Verizon HTC One (M8)
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545)

Izeltokatl
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Your must activate it first on the upgrade plan, if you don't you will lose your plan. My wife did our wrong when she got her motox.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk