Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,848 Members 37,382 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My imei bad T mobile note 3 another craigslist sad story

Tip us?
 
bipoler
Old
#21  
bipoler's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 61
Posts: 308
Join Date: Jan 2009
If I can't afford to lose the money, I don't buy for cheap. Fresh out the box full retail. Have I bought from CL before? Yes have I sold? Yes. Thankfully I've never ran into any problems

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Who am I?

LOL HA !

I Am..

J Be (Here But Gone)

My Thoughts My Way...My Opinion wont sway. I dont listen to opinions I didn't ask for ~Intellectual....Self-Sufficient...Goal Oriented.
 
Product F(RED)
Old
#22  
Product F(RED)'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2570
Posts: 8,816
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techngro View Post
How did that work? I bought my Note 3 on Swappa, and after it was blocked, T-Mobile basically told me to go suck a duck. They wouldn't give me any info, except to tell me what I already knew (that the phone was blocked). They wouldn't tell me how much was owed either.

But please tell us what you said. There are many people who have been scammed and would like to be able to get their device unblocked.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------



I went through something very similar, except Swappa, not Craigslist. Is the phone just blocked for non-payment of EIP, or is it reported stolen and blacklisted? That might affect your options.

You have a couple of choices, none of which are ideal.

1. Sell the phone on Ebay for a loss. If you sell it internationally, you might be better off since non-US buyers wouldn't care about it being blocked on T-Mobile.

2. Do what I did. Unlock the device (use Chainfire or something similar) and go to another carrier. I ended up going to Straight Talk (AT&T). All in all, it cost me about $10 to unlock and buy the SIM card. I lost my favorite T-Mobile plan, and now pay more for less data (I cry silently each night), but at least your phone will be usable again.

Hope that helps.
That's only a temporary solution. The big 4 carriers are supposed to be sharing a central database of stolen/blacklisted devices, so prepare for your phone to randomly stop being able to connect to the network one day.

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889


 
Techngro
Old
#23  
Techngro's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 121
Posts: 587
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Product F(RED) View Post
That's only a temporary solution. The big 4 carriers are supposed to be sharing a central database of stolen/blacklisted devices, so prepare for your phone to randomly stop being able to connect to the network one day.
It's my understanding that there is a difference between 'blocked' and 'blacklisted'. If the phone is not paid off from an EIP, then it will be blocked on T-Mobile's networks (and only T-mobile's networks). While blacklisted means that it was either reported lost or stolen, in which case, it would be added to the nationwide blacklist and not work on any of the GSM carriers who share in the blacklist.

The blacklist is to prevent theft, so it makes sense that only phones that have been reported as stolen would make it onto that list. In addition, I don't think the carriers care about people who don't pay their competitors' bills. There's a lot of confusion about the blacklist, but since AT&T and T-Mobile have already been sharing their blacklisted IMEIs for close to a year now, and my phone works on AT&T's network (via Straight Talk), I think the above distinction is correct.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixk View Post
Right answer = lies

Im not sure if its the right place to say this.

My N3 was paid off

what I told them was I bought this phone off my girlfriend who wanted to stick with an iphone.
And while she changed back to her iphone there must have been a mistake which blocked the phone.

and after about an hour they said they would review this and call me back... but never got a call back.
So I called back a week later and talked to another person and asked about my phone's status and she told it was not blocked anymore.

Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphray View Post
I had an issue like this with my note 3, i purchased it back around October 15 off swappa, then 2 months and about 3 days later my phone stopped working, i looked up the imei and it said it was stolen, conveniently just 3 days too late to file a claim with paypal, I called up tmobile, told them I purchased the phone used, and the date i had started using the phone on their service and said it was now saying it was stolen more than 2 months after this and the person told me they were going to unblock the phone for me, and it would take about 24 hours, it actually took closer to 48 hours but they did unblock it and I've had no problems since.
These reports of people getting their devices unblocked by T-Mobile just by talking to customer service are both encouraging and depressing. I tried explaining my situation to T-Mobile and they were steadfast in their stance that it wasn't their problem. This was despite the fact that the day after I got the phone from Swappa, I called T-Mobile and verified that it was not on a payment plan and that the phone would not be blocked later. I wish I had recorded that conversation. Maybe if I could have played it back for them, they would have taken some pity on me.

But in the end, i'm glad that at least some people were able to get things set straight.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900T
Bought on Swappa, Blocked by T-Mobile
Given life again via Chainfire's RegionLock Away
Stock
Hyperdrive KK RLS3.1
Effortless ROM Rev 6

Kindle Fire
ROM: Back to Stock

2006: Samsung A900
2007: Original iPhone
2010: Nokia N900
2010: Moto Cliq
2011: HTC G2
2012: Galaxy S II
2012: Galaxy Note
The Following User Says Thank You to Techngro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Product F(RED)
Old
#24  
Product F(RED)'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2570
Posts: 8,816
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techngro View Post
It's my understanding that there is a difference between 'blocked' and 'blacklisted'. If the phone is not paid off from an EIP, then it will be blocked on T-Mobile's networks (and only T-mobile's networks). While blacklisted means that it was either reported lost or stolen, in which case, it would be added to the nationwide blacklist and not work on any of the GSM carriers who share in the blacklist.

The blacklist is to prevent theft, so it makes sense that only phones that have been reported as stolen would make it onto that list. In addition, I don't think the carriers care about people who don't pay their competitors' bills. There's a lot of confusion about the blacklist, but since AT&T and T-Mobile have already been sharing their blacklisted IMEIs for close to a year now, and my phone works on AT&T's network (via Straight Talk), I think the above distinction is correct.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------





These reports of people getting their devices unblocked by T-Mobile just by talking to customer service are both encouraging and depressing. I tried explaining my situation to T-Mobile and they were steadfast in their stance that it wasn't their problem. This was despite the fact that the day after I got the phone from Swappa, I called T-Mobile and verified that it was not on a payment plan and that the phone would not be blocked later. I wish I had recorded that conversation. Maybe if I could have played it back for them, they would have taken some pity on me.

But in the end, i'm glad that at least some people were able to get things set straight.
Thanks for the correction. I thought blocking = blacklisting.

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889


 
ciphray
Old
#25  
Member
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 41
Join Date: Apr 2010
Even though I was able to have them unblock mine (I think they were just trying to claim the insurance on the phone to get another) I wont be buying another from swappa, at the time all I saved was what I would have paid in tax, so to save 70 dollars I was gambling 700, Also in my case the person who sold it purchased it from someone else at the tmobile store according to their post, so even though this person had good feedback on swappa, the same didn't apply to the person it was purchased from. which is yet another reason to be weary.

They also block phones that're reported lost instead of stolen, but in that case they don't seem to add it to the shared list so sometimes it's usable on a different carrier than the original.

It's great to see something finally being done about stolen phones, but I wish they would have a time limit from the last time the phone was used to report it stolen, even if it's a week or 2, that's plenty of time to report it, that way you have less people trying to pull insurance scams like the one I almost fell victim to
 
Techngro
Old
(Last edited by Techngro; 31st March 2014 at 05:23 AM.)
#26  
Techngro's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 121
Posts: 587
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphray View Post
Even though I was able to have them unblock mine (I think they were just trying to claim the insurance on the phone to get another) I wont be buying another from swappa, at the time all I saved was what I would have paid in tax, so to save 70 dollars I was gambling 700, Also in my case the person who sold it purchased it from someone else at the tmobile store according to their post, so even though this person had good feedback on swappa, the same didn't apply to the person it was purchased from. which is yet another reason to be weary.

They also block phones that're reported lost instead of stolen, but in that case they don't seem to add it to the shared list so sometimes it's usable on a different carrier than the original.

It's great to see something finally being done about stolen phones, but I wish they would have a time limit from the last time the phone was used to report it stolen, even if it's a week or 2, that's plenty of time to report it, that way you have less people trying to pull insurance scams like the one I almost fell victim to
Yes, i've said the same thing many times over the past few months since my phone was blocked. My previous 5 phones were bought on Craigslist. But recently, it had become so sketchy that I decided it wasn't worth it anymore. Then I heard about Swappa and everyone said how great it was, and how much safer. I bought my Note 3 from Swappa from a seller with perfect feedback. I asked if the phone was on EIP, seller said no. IMEI check showed up as clean (which means zilch by the way). Fast-forward a few months and I found out the hard way that Swappa is no different than Craigslist. There is ZERO responsibility on the part of Swappa if someone sells you a device that is later blocked for EIP non-payment or reported lost or stolen. And the Paypal dispute window is ridiculously small (they don't even try to help you after the 45 day window), so they were of no help either.

In the end, I feel like you do. the $100 savings was not worth it. Not only is my phone blocked on T-Mobile, but I ended up losing my favorite plan ($30 5GB). That was the worst part. Now I pay almost twice as much money for half as much data allowance. And Straight Talk's service via AT&T kinda sucks in my area.

Lesson learned. No more Ebay, Craigslist or Swappa. Next phone will be direct from T-Mobile (It might even be the Oppo Find 7).

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900T
Bought on Swappa, Blocked by T-Mobile
Given life again via Chainfire's RegionLock Away
Stock
Hyperdrive KK RLS3.1
Effortless ROM Rev 6

Kindle Fire
ROM: Back to Stock

2006: Samsung A900
2007: Original iPhone
2010: Nokia N900
2010: Moto Cliq
2011: HTC G2
2012: Galaxy S II
2012: Galaxy Note
 
momotete0964
Old
#27  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default help with bad imei

there is a guy on ebay can swap out your motherboard for $99, he has save me a ton of money. and the phone is factory unlocked.
 
sixk
Old
#28  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 277
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
So you basically called T Mobile up and explained you bought this from your girlfriend and get angry and after splitting up black listed the phone or to that effect?
Pretty much in this type of manner.
But becareful they might think you stole the phone from your GF.
I heard that one.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes