Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,870 Members 50,755 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Another 4.3 bootloader question...sorry

Tip us?

Djspinister
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75

DONATE TO ME
Default Another 4.3 bootloader question...sorry

I just want to be absolutely sure, so here goes. I am on stock, rooted 4.1.1 at the moment. If I just let AT&T run the 4.3 update, I can still keep/reroot root, I just can't go back to 4.1.1 correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using a failing xda app-developers app
PHONE: SGS 5
ROOT: No, doubt it will happen
ROM: N/A
Quote:
I just wanted to know if there was an ETA on when your going to stop asking about a fk'in ETA?
IF I HELPED YOU IN ANYWAY, PLEASE CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON!

Larry2999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djspinister View Post
I just want to be absolutely sure, so here goes. I am on stock, rooted 4.1.1 at the moment. If I just let AT&T run the 4.3 update, I can still keep/reroot root, I just can't go back to 4.1.1 correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using a failing xda app-developers app
Yeah, that's correct. If you go stock 4.3, via the OTA update, you will lose root initially. You can, however, always re-root. The most effective method to root after 4.3 is to Odin TWRP, boot to recovery and then flash SuperSu and the knox remover tool via recovery. Install SuperSU from the play store and run it to update the binary when prompted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry2999 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Djspinister
Old
(Last edited by Djspinister; 2nd April 2014 at 01:22 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75

DONATE TO ME
Won't let me thank you on the mobile app, so I'll do it when I get home from work, thank you! Wonder what happened to the premium version I paid for. Took my money and ran lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
Quote:
I just wanted to know if there was an ETA on when your going to stop asking about a fk'in ETA?

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 349
Installing the OTA 4.3 update will also install Knox. Rooting will trip the Knox counter which will void your warranty. If you have no warranty left, tripping knox will now be a problem.

You should also know that Knox can sometimes interfere with obtaining root.

Djspinister
Old
(Last edited by Djspinister; 2nd April 2014 at 01:31 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
Installing the OTA 4.3 update will also install Knox. Rooting will trip the Knox counter which will void your warranty. If you have no warranty left, tripping knox will now be a problem.

You should also know that Knox can sometimes interfere with obtaining root.

So one person saying you can root no problem, another one saying you might be able to root, might not? This is why there should be a very clear sticky at the top of the forums for everyone to read about just 4.3 and all there is to know about it. Because maybe's are pretty terrible when it comes to flashing/unlocking/rooting/bricking your device.

I don't care about warranty, I'm getting the S5 shortly, I just want to be able to root after the update, is that possible with lets just say the Auto root program, or is it not possible? By possible, I mean I won't have to go out and trade 7 cows for a horse and plow a 600 acre field with said horse. :P

EDIT: I think I've fingered it out, Thanks for the help fellas.
Quote:

Larry2999
Old
(Last edited by Larry2999; 2nd April 2014 at 02:43 AM.) Reason: Incomplete post
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djspinister View Post
So one person saying you can root no problem, another one saying you might be able to root, might not? This is why there should be a very clear sticky at the top of the forums for everyone to read about just 4.3 and all there is to know about it. Because maybe's are pretty terrible when it comes to flashing/unlocking/rooting/bricking your device.

I don't care about warranty, I'm getting the S5 shortly, I just want to be able to root after the update, is that possible with lets just say the Auto root program, or is it not possible? By possible, I mean I won't have to go out and trade 7 cows for a horse and plow a 600 acre field with said horse. :P

EDIT: I think I've fingered it out, Thanks for the help fellas.
There is no question about it. You can root even after 4.3 OTA. I've done it half a dozen times. Audit is right that you will trip the warranty but since this isn't an issue ...

The usual methods of rooting including CF Auto-Root don't always work and the method I've used with success each time is Option 2 in the thread below. The knox removal script disables knox ...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538991
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry2999 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Djspinister
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75

DONATE TO ME
Sounds good man, I'll hit that up when I get home, thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
Quote: