Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Another 4.3 bootloader question...sorry

OP Djspinister

1st April 2014, 05:33 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 75
 
500 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
More
I just want to be absolutely sure, so here goes. I am on stock, rooted 4.1.1 at the moment. If I just let AT&T run the 4.3 update, I can still keep/reroot root, I just can't go back to 4.1.1 correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using a failing xda app-developers app
1st April 2014, 08:15 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 74
 
355 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djspinister

I just want to be absolutely sure, so here goes. I am on stock, rooted 4.1.1 at the moment. If I just let AT&T run the 4.3 update, I can still keep/reroot root, I just can't go back to 4.1.1 correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using a failing xda app-developers app

Yeah, that's correct. If you go stock 4.3, via the OTA update, you will lose root initially. You can, however, always re-root. The most effective method to root after 4.3 is to Odin TWRP, boot to recovery and then flash SuperSu and the knox remover tool via recovery. Install SuperSU from the play store and run it to update the binary when prompted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry2999 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st April 2014, 08:20 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 75
 
500 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
More
Won't let me thank you on the mobile app, so I'll do it when I get home from work, thank you! Wonder what happened to the premium version I paid for. Took my money and ran lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by Djspinister; 2nd April 2014 at 02:22 AM.
1st April 2014, 11:50 PM   |  #4  
audit13's Avatar
Senior Member
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 840
 
2,993 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
Installing the OTA 4.3 update will also install Knox. Rooting will trip the Knox counter which will void your warranty. If you have no warranty left, tripping knox will now be a problem.

You should also know that Knox can sometimes interfere with obtaining root.
2nd April 2014, 02:22 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 75
 
500 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13

Installing the OTA 4.3 update will also install Knox. Rooting will trip the Knox counter which will void your warranty. If you have no warranty left, tripping knox will now be a problem.

You should also know that Knox can sometimes interfere with obtaining root.


So one person saying you can root no problem, another one saying you might be able to root, might not? This is why there should be a very clear sticky at the top of the forums for everyone to read about just 4.3 and all there is to know about it. Because maybe's are pretty terrible when it comes to flashing/unlocking/rooting/bricking your device.

I don't care about warranty, I'm getting the S5 shortly, I just want to be able to root after the update, is that possible with lets just say the Auto root program, or is it not possible? By possible, I mean I won't have to go out and trade 7 cows for a horse and plow a 600 acre field with said horse. :P

EDIT: I think I've fingered it out, Thanks for the help fellas.
Last edited by Djspinister; 2nd April 2014 at 02:31 AM.
2nd April 2014, 03:41 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 74
 
355 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djspinister

So one person saying you can root no problem, another one saying you might be able to root, might not? This is why there should be a very clear sticky at the top of the forums for everyone to read about just 4.3 and all there is to know about it. Because maybe's are pretty terrible when it comes to flashing/unlocking/rooting/bricking your device.

I don't care about warranty, I'm getting the S5 shortly, I just want to be able to root after the update, is that possible with lets just say the Auto root program, or is it not possible? By possible, I mean I won't have to go out and trade 7 cows for a horse and plow a 600 acre field with said horse. :P

EDIT: I think I've fingered it out, Thanks for the help fellas.

There is no question about it. You can root even after 4.3 OTA. I've done it half a dozen times. Audit is right that you will trip the warranty but since this isn't an issue ...

The usual methods of rooting including CF Auto-Root don't always work and the method I've used with success each time is Option 2 in the thread below. The knox removal script disables knox ...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538991
Last edited by Larry2999; 2nd April 2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Incomplete post
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry2999 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd April 2014, 04:15 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 75
 
500 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
More
Sounds good man, I'll hit that up when I get home, thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes