How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Recovery Mode is broken. Phone won't boot properly.

OP Baurblades43

2nd April 2014, 12:44 AM   |  #11  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

64 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmggm

+1, the only safe option is to flash a clean factory image via Odin. Otherwise say hello to your new doorstop if you mess with Recovery on MK2 locked bootloader

Flash new image >> 15-25 minutes
Root >> 2-3 minutes
SS >> 3-5 minutes
HD RLS15 (for example) >> 15 minutes

In about an hour or so phone is back up and running. No brainer..........

The thing is.. I've tried flashing new images before, and all its doing is overwriting my old one, but the stupid factory thing I flashed makes the default path the broken recovery so I don't think this will work.
2nd April 2014, 01:59 AM   |  #12  
Flag Scottsdale AZ
Thanks Meter: 275

555 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baurblades43

The thing is.. I've tried flashing new images before, and all its doing is overwriting my old one, but the stupid factory thing I flashed makes the default path the broken recovery so I don't think this will work.

Are you sure you flashed the full wipe tar file? I've successfully used this method numerous times.
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319198294

Make sure you download to PC first then copy to your external SD card on your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by cbmggm; 2nd April 2014 at 02:01 AM.
2nd April 2014, 02:05 AM   |  #13  
OP Member

64 posts
Quote:

Are you sure you flashed the full wipe tar file? I've successfully used this method numerous times.
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319198294

Make sure you download to PC first then copy to your external SD card on your phone.

Umm.. Why would I want to put that on my external SD card? Wouldn't I want to just use it through ODIN?
2nd April 2014, 02:11 AM   |  #14  
Flag Scottsdale AZ
Thanks Meter: 275

555 posts
More
Oops sorry I meant to leave the tar file on the PC.

2nd April 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #15  
OP Member

64 posts
Quote:

Haha alright. I'll go ahead and download this file and give it a go. Wish me luck.
2nd April 2014, 02:18 AM   |  #16  
OP Member

64 posts
Quote:

Also, can you give me a quick guide on how to flash this through Odin? I just wanna make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.
2nd April 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 81

151 posts
Quote:

Also, can you give me a quick guide on how to flash this through Odin? I just wanna make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

Directions are in the thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578209
2nd April 2014, 03:04 AM   |  #18  
OP Member

64 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oishikatta

Directions are in the thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578209

I followed the directions for everything as they were given and I got the same result I've gotten after flashing anything. Everything works fine, then the big blue "RESET" icon appears on Odin, then the phone reboots, I get samsung logo, and then the blue "recovery booting" text shows up.. and then the screen blacks out, and boot loops that same thing.
2nd April 2014, 03:33 AM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 81

151 posts
Quote:

I followed the directions for everything as they were given and I got the same result I've gotten after flashing anything. Everything works fine, then the big blue "RESET" icon appears on Odin, then the phone reboots, I get samsung logo, and then the blue "recovery booting" text shows up.. and then the screen blacks out, and boot loops that same thing.

Make sure you're using the Full Wipe image (SCH-I545_VZW_1_20131212083410_mwx72ql56g_fac.zip), and have extracted it to a .tar.md5

Also download the JFLTE_USA_VZW_16G.pit (assuming you have the 16GB version of the S4).

Put the .tar.md5 in the AP section and the PIT file in the PIT section.

Leave the other checkboxes in Odin at their defaults.

Take a screenshot at this point, click Start, and then take another screenshot when it completes or gives an error.
2nd April 2014, 04:23 AM   |  #20  
OP Member

64 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oishikatta

Make sure you're using the Full Wipe image (SCH-I545_VZW_1_20131212083410_mwx72ql56g_fac.zip), and have extracted it to a .tar.md5

Also download the JFLTE_USA_VZW_16G.pit (assuming you have the 16GB version of the S4).

Put the .tar.md5 in the AP section and the PIT file in the PIT section.

Leave the other checkboxes in Odin at their defaults.

Take a screenshot at this point, click Start, and then take another screenshot when it completes or gives an error.

Alright. I did a lot between your post and now. All of the information for everything I did is underneath each picture thats posted. So read them carefully.

http://imgur.com/3c4YZoz,CjiLmlY,Gfjx7Tc,TO1xSMV#0

EDIT: I looked up the battery icon problem and I found some interesting news. After all of the struggling with the darn phone, this is a common problem with this phone on 4.3. Its an overheating issue to the PBA(Motherboard I think). Thanks everyone for the help, I'm just gonna send it in and get a new phone.
Last edited by Baurblades43; 2nd April 2014 at 05:16 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread