5,593,248 Members 32,337 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] KNOX: Have you been denied warranty exchange or insurance claim due to KNOX?

Tip us?

BACARDILIMON
Old
Thanks Meter 637
Same

TWEAKED 1.0 NOTE 3
NOTE 3 TWEAKED

h3ck
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACARDILIMON View Post
No service centers. You call and they mail you one. That's how they do it in ny

TWEAKED 1.0 NOTE 3
This is how it works for tmobile in general. I've replaced many many phones with tmobile and they are generally very laid back about it. The warranty will be fine so long as it's a defect (hardware issue, severe uncommon software issue). Jump is insurance so it's my understanding that it covers accidental damage and that includes dropping phone. So Knox should be fine for insurance. But warranty is usually a freebie replacement if there is a defect so I don't know if they would get touchy about knox. I wanna say they wouldn't based on my 7 years experience with Tmobile. Aside from people saying they won't honor, I haven't heard of any real person getting denied.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
My Devices
HTC One (M8) | Nexus 10
Backup: iPhone 4 - repurposed iPod Touch

Proud Android user since 2007 (G1)!

Past Devices: HTC Wing(MDA), G1, Mytouch 3G/4G, iPhone 3G/3GS, MyTouch 3G Slide, HTC HD2, BB 9100, LG G2x, Sensation, Note 2, Note 3

h3ck
Old
(Last edited by h3ck; 17th January 2014 at 12:55 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4k View Post
Ok, but how is non jump and original warranty handled? I don't have jump since I don't want another phone except, maybe Note4 a yr from now and that's exactly how long Samsung warranty lasts, would that be handled by Samsung in case of malfunction? And it seems I'm not alone, there was a guy on another forum, asking if he can exchange his current Note3 for brand new Note3 when his jump comes up. LOL.
Warranty is honored by carrier, in this case tmobile and ultimately fulfilled by Samsung on the back end.

Jump is insurance and fulfilled by the insurance company, Assurant.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
My Devices
HTC One (M8) | Nexus 10
Backup: iPhone 4 - repurposed iPod Touch

Proud Android user since 2007 (G1)!

Past Devices: HTC Wing(MDA), G1, Mytouch 3G/4G, iPhone 3G/3GS, MyTouch 3G Slide, HTC HD2, BB 9100, LG G2x, Sensation, Note 2, Note 3

stevessvt
Old
Thanks Meter 414
Bump.

It's been a few months since anyone has replied on this. Is TMo still not concerned with Knox, or is the honeymoon over?

daneurysm
Old
(Last edited by daneurysm; 2nd April 2014 at 06:14 AM.) Reason: clarity
Thanks Meter 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevessvt View Post
Bump.

It's been a few months since anyone has replied on this. Is TMo still not concerned with Knox, or is the honeymoon over?
I'm curious to know...I highly doubt TMO cares. I know they didn't look at anything besides the 3-points when I traded in my S4. I could have left that thing with CM and the wildest theme I could find and it would have passed their inspection.

However with the (nearly confirmed) rumor of the TMO S5 shipping with a locked bootloader I think they are going to try to handle this the old fashioned way. In which case I will be stepping up to nothing but Nexus devices--at least until (God effing forbid) that becomes locked for good. If that happens I'm bailing on Android.

Now while it kinda irritates me that there is looking like a good chance that I won't be able to get the N4 (AOSP only guy...also demand root. It's my goddamned device, not theirs) if all of these rumors are true. However from the looks of trends the screen on the Nexus6 is going to be huge...not Note3 huge, but maybe Note1 huge...ish. That'll have to do...especially if it has a 2k or 4k screen or whatever the next absurd "must have" next gen feature is.

I find them locking bootloaders to be scummy. It might be warranty/warranty fraud related...though I'm pretty sure that the modder community is barely a rounding error to them...even less significant if you only count suspected warranty/warranty fraud abuses from the modder community. so I don't think it's that. It could genuinely be security related, though...I dunno, that seems disingenuous too.

I'm hoping the HTC phones will also be able to maintain their unlock option...as absurd as the concept of trading away your warranty for access to the ability to modify the software on your own computing device which you have paid quite a bit for...cuz I dig Android and don't wanna jump ship.

However, in the end, if we end up locked down and locked out on all service providers and all models of Android...well, that'll make the market for an unlocked, customizable high performance wireless communications pocket computer that much more lucrative for anyone interested in taking our business.

#unloadthebootlockers