Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,147 Members 48,574 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: to keep my gs4 or not
keep gs4 (4.3 build) 2 66.67%
get gs4 on mdl build preferred choice 1 33.33%
droid maxx 0 0%
other (please list if you choose) thank you. 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] buying a used galaxy s4. worth it

Tip us?

Galaxy*$4
Old
(Last edited by Galaxy*$4; 1st April 2014 at 04:45 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Question [Q] buying a used galaxy s4. worth it

note mods and admin i am sorry if i am in the wrong area or there is a thread just like this.

to who ever cares. why i created this thread-i got my galaxy s4 last summer, on mf3 build, i wasnt in to flashing roms until i started having issues with it after the 30 day was up i think. well flashed a rom and all is well. well i wanna get back into flashing aosp and other roms. like i had on my gs3 (if yall care about the issues i had it kept on freezing on me and had to do a batt pull (i had a black screen and pwr button didnt do anything.) and att didnt wanna help samsung said 2 weeks for them to see it.)

guys i saw a used galaxy s4 at a game store for $400 and that got me thinking if its on mdl not sure if it was the guys there were to lazy to let me see it (i think mdl is the preferred one since i can run loki) i was going to get it today, (only if my s4 brought in a good amount like 200) but i knew better then to show them to see what i could get due to custom rom on my phone. would it be worth getting one like that (i prefer getting one in person, or taking a gamble and buy used one online, i know people can post what ever online. or they could update it to the latest version before they ship it.

or would it be worth waiting to see what happens with the bootloader. (just asking)

another option and off topic. i kicked around is a droid maxx (the one that they showed on tv) that batt life is what pulling me in, but the specs told me, my phone is better in every field.

guys i thank you for the help,

and there will be a poll if yall choose other please give a reason why. thank you

edit i am open to ideas but preferred is the gs4 on mdl
Galaxy S4 AT&T 16gb internal and 32gb external sd card. wrapped in otter box defender. 4.4.2 with deadly venom magic tool kit, rooted, safe strapped.
rom slots
stock-echoe v20

Galaxy*$4
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
i looked on swappa and its seems like i could buy a gs4 once mine sells, and it wouldnt hurt my wallet that bad depending on what it sells for.

please dont vote for the droid maxx saw the device specs on swappa and it didnt have a headphone port which is needed since i use my phone for music.

and can somebody tell me if its worth being able to have custom kernels, like better batt life over stock kernel.. i cant find any good facts only kernels to download. i did find some roms i wanna try. if i ever buy another gs4
Galaxy S4 AT&T 16gb internal and 32gb external sd card. wrapped in otter box defender. 4.4.2 with deadly venom magic tool kit, rooted, safe strapped.
rom slots
stock-echoe v20

aiwapro
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy*$4 View Post
i looked on swappa and its seems like i could buy a gs4 once mine sells, and it wouldnt hurt my wallet that bad depending on what it sells for.

please dont vote for the droid maxx saw the device specs on swappa and it didnt have a headphone port which is needed since i use my phone for music.

and can somebody tell me if its worth being able to have custom kernels, like better batt life over stock kernel.. i cant find any good facts only kernels to download. i did find some roms i wanna try. if i ever buy another gs4
You can get close tot $300 or more for your S4, if it's in good condition. I just sold mine, which was on NB1. If I had of saw your post earlier, I could have sold it to you. The person I sold it to on eBay, is not familiar with custom ROMs so I just flashed it back to stock 4.2.2 MDL, so that they can get future updates automatically.

I this didn't answer your question, but at least it provides some guidance as to what you can sell your S4 for. I might would consider a new device. I decided to switch to HTC for a while, so went with the M8. I only say consider switching, as Dev support my decrease as the device continues to age. You could put the money towards a new device.

ramw24
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy*$4 View Post
note mods and admin i am sorry if i am in the wrong area or there is a thread just like this.

to who ever cares. why i created this thread-i got my galaxy s4 last summer, on mf3 build, i wasnt in to flashing roms until i started having issues with it after the 30 day was up i think. well flashed a rom and all is well. well i wanna get back into flashing aosp and other roms. like i had on my gs3 (if yall care about the issues i had it kept on freezing on me and had to do a batt pull (i had a black screen and pwr button didnt do anything.) and att didnt wanna help samsung said 2 weeks for them to see it.)

guys i saw a used galaxy s4 at a game store for $400 and that got me thinking if its on mdl not sure if it was the guys there were to lazy to let me see it (i think mdl is the preferred one since i can run loki) i was going to get it today, (only if my s4 brought in a good amount like 200) but i knew better then to show them to see what i could get due to custom rom on my phone. would it be worth getting one like that (i prefer getting one in person, or taking a gamble and buy used one online, i know people can post what ever online. or they could update it to the latest version before they ship it.

or would it be worth waiting to see what happens with the bootloader. (just asking)

another option and off topic. i kicked around is a droid maxx (the one that they showed on tv) that batt life is what pulling me in, but the specs told me, my phone is better in every field.

guys i thank you for the help,

and there will be a poll if yall choose other please give a reason why. thank you

edit i am open to ideas but preferred is the gs4 on mdl

I actually have a S4 on MDL, I was looking to get the S5 and wanted to find a buyer who can actually put the device to good use since u can do a lot more easily. I posted about it a few days ago http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2698110.

Galaxy*$4
Old
(Last edited by Galaxy*$4; 2nd April 2014 at 02:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramw24 View Post
I actually have a S4 on MDL, I was looking to get the S5 and wanted to find a buyer who can actually put the device to good use since u can do a lot more easily. I posted about it a few days ago http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2698110.
thank ya any idea what you want for it (just asking)? well i will have to hold up on buying the phone, my truck broke down at least over a grand to get it running.

so it looks like i will be keeping my gs4 for now. (plus i cant stand the down time to wait for mine to sell then to find one to buy,etc
rom slots
stock-echoe v20