Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,037 Members 52,426 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] why do I'm unable to upgrade to kit kat?

Tip us?

renato1967
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] why do I'm unable to upgrade to kit kat?

Hi,
I have a 4.3 installed on my phone, I woul upgrade to 4.4, but I don' know how to do that.
If I check with pc companion, ittell me that there is no upgrade, and the same by OTA.

I'm wondering if is it possible that I'm still out of upgrade.

How can I upgrade it...?

TIA

Renato

dragon546
Old
(Last edited by dragon546; 2nd April 2014 at 12:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by renato1967 View Post
Hi,
I have a 4.3 installed on my phone, I woul upgrade to 4.4, but I don' know how to do that.
If I check with pc companion, ittell me that there is no upgrade, and the same by OTA.

I'm wondering if is it possible that I'm still out of upgrade.

How can I upgrade it...?

TIA

Renato
Is your Z1 a UK unbranded one? Uk unbranded seem to be always the last one to get updates. You could back up your phone then perform a repair. Doing repair may wipe your phone so consider before doing it. BTW you have posted in Q&A section. Please move to Q&A Moderators many thanks

gregbradley
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3844
If you can't post in the correct section you are unlikely to know where the search button is either...
Flash av 4.4 FTF using flashtool
Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

How to get root on Xperia Z1 with KitKat 4.4.2, 4.4.3 & 4.4.4

If you are unsure, then read this.
If you are still unsure, watch this.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[X10] | [NEO] | [Xperia T/TX] |
[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

romaha
Old
Thanks Meter 7
If you have root or unlock bootloader on your device you cant upgrade it through SUS or PCC. Lock it back or flash it via flashtool.

gregbradley
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by romaha View Post
If you have root or unlock bootloader on your device you cant upgrade it through SUS or PCC. Lock it back or flash it via flashtool.
This is incorrect.

If you have root you can still update via PCCompanion or SUS, but you will lose root.

If you have an unlocked bootloader then you cannot use official tools such as PCCompanions or SUS, you can only use EMMA (Official tool from Sony for unlocked bootloaders)

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

romaha
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
This is incorrect.

If you have root you can still update via PCCompanion or SUS, but you will lose root.

If you have an unlocked bootloader then you cannot use official tools such as PCCompanions or SUS, you can only use EMMA (Official tool from Sony for unlocked bootloaders)
Interesting info about EMMA, thanks

renato1967
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by romaha View Post
Interesting info about EMMA, thanks
ok, I thought I can do it with OTA or pccompanion. I thought it is a "regular" upgrade for Z1. Indeed I need flashtool? I need to root Z1 ?

Renato

gregbradley
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by renato1967 View Post
ok, I thought I can do it with OTA or pccompanion. I thought it is a "regular" upgrade for Z1. Indeed I need flashtool? I need to root Z1 ?

Renato

You will be able to use PCCompanion once the update becomes available for you, they are not all released at the same time, it can roll out over a month or two.

In the meantime, you can flash a FTF using flashtool from flashtool.net and there is no need for root. It is just a repackage of an official download and made avaialable for all.
Find them in the FTF mega collection thread.... Use the search button.

My contributions.

[Xperia Z1]

Tags
how to, kit kat, sony xperia z1, upgrade