Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,353 Members 47,512 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tutorial][Root][CWM&TWRP][UB][LB] The best way to root (12.1.A.0.266) firmware

Tip us?

wakoko79
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default clearing things up

Hi @Amin.HVS,

For some reason you might not want to flash the global ftf or ftf from any other region.
For guys like me who wanted to flash 4.3 using the original customization number of their phone (which means got updated using PC companion with LOCKED bootloader OR used the ftf with their ORIGINAL customization number), Please point this out:

Quote:
You need to extract the kernel from the 4.3 firmware that you USED to update.
If you updated with the PC companion but instead used the .266 stock kernel from the [UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER SECTION], chances are your device will not boot up and (if you are a noob like me) you'll start to panic like HELL.

STEPS:
  1. Create your own FTF from Sony Update (SUS) / PC companion. GUIDE
  2. Extract the kernel (kernel.sin) from your 4.3 firmware ftf. GUIDE
  3. Convert kernel.sin to kernel.elf GUIDE ***My flashtool is v0.9.11.0 - use the guide until step 2. The flashtool menu will be different so in flashtool, go to: TOOLS>SIN EDITOR, then browse for the kernel.sin you just extracted. then click EXTRACT DATA. You have now the kernel.elf in the same directory as the kernel.sin. You can use the kernel.elf to flash with the use of QuikIMG tool to flash your own stock kernel.
Use the extracted kernel.elf instead of the one posted by OP if you have the same case as me.

ALSO, please include a remark that for people who have 4.1.2 LOCKED BL, with ROOT, it is safe to UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER as long as you back up your TA partition. You can restore the backed up TA from 4.1.2 when you have 4.3 to RELOCK your bootloader. It's MUCH MUCH EASIER this way.
The Following User Says Thank You to wakoko79 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jimladen
Old
Thanks Meter 0
in the last step of procedure i have to wipe appslog cache and data before i reflash the stock kernel?

Amin.HVS
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakoko79 View Post
Hi @Amin.HVS,

For some reason you might not want to flash the global ftf or ftf from any other region.
For guys like me who wanted to flash 4.3 using the original customization number of their phone (which means got updated using PC companion with LOCKED bootloader OR used the ftf with their ORIGINAL customization number), Please point this out:

Use the extracted kernel.elf instead of the one posted by OP if you have the same case as me.

ALSO, please include a remark that for people who have 4.1.2 LOCKED BL, with ROOT, it is safe to UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER as long as you back up your TA partition. You can restore the backed up TA from 4.1.2 when you have 4.3 to RELOCK your bootloader. It's MUCH MUCH EASIER this way.
@wakoko79 thanks alot for ur description. but I did't ur mean about "original customization number" .
ur guide for unlock bootloader but anyway it's dont root ur fw!
However, the OP tut, I think better for everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimladen View Post
in the last step of procedure i have to wipe appslog cache and data before i reflash the stock kernel?
No! None need to do, my friend!
(I think the OP needs to edited some steps.) Soon i do it!

bo4box
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i have problem when downgrading from .266 to .257 . it brick my SP . need help i want to root my SP without unlocking my bootlader

Drakomord
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Without downgrade for rooting .266 LB is really not possible ?

TechnoSparks
Old
(Last edited by TechnoSparks; 28th March 2014 at 12:39 PM.) Reason: exclamation on important aspects
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Default In dire of newest version and only CWM installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amin.HVS View Post
4 - Download CWM And TWRP For XSP .266 zip file from this link and follow the manual steps.
Any method for CWM recovery only? :| I AM EXTREMELY TIRED with this poor RAM management problem and decided to bail from DoomLord's kernel. Wish a fix though :/

But also, I favours CWM more over TWRP and wish only to have CWM only. Plus, any new version of CWM I can find (searched like a maniac already though) which is 6.0.4.6?

If only CWM is supported officially for this device.

arhun
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Default 2235282

thanks..