Backup+ Lets You Backup Your App Data on Android Lollipop

Even though Android 5.0 Lollipop hasn’t yet seen its official release, quite … more

TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more
Post Reply

Can you root an XT925 without unlocking the bootloader?

OP timmytucker718

1st April 2014, 06:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
97 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
Thinking about buying this phone, but don't wanna void my warranty. I've seen a wealth of information, but I am confused as to what is outdated or not.
Last edited by timmytucker718; 1st April 2014 at 07:16 AM.
1st April 2014, 08:19 AM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
64 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytucker718

Thinking about buying this phone, but don't wanna void my warranty. I've seen a wealth of information, but I am confused as to what is outdated or not.

My HD is rooted while bootloader is still locked
1st April 2014, 08:24 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
97 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_5kool

My HD is rooted while bootloader is still locked

How did you do it?
1st April 2014, 04:24 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
64 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytucker718

How did you do it?

I use the method and files from my XT902 but it works. I don't remember the source of this method (Sorry). I made several changes. My HD is OTA updated from 4.0 to 4.1.2. Here is the method (The risk is yours):

1) Preparation
- SDK & USB Drivers
- Download file from the following address: http://www.mediafire.com/download/13...6c2mhs2/HD.rar or scroll down
- Unzip the file to a specific folder (I put HD folder to the root of C drive)

2) Plug your HD to PC (connect as MTP, unknown source and debugging is on, of course)

3) Do these command (at the directory where you put and perform the adb commands)
- adb push C:\HD\su /data/local/tmp/su
- adb push C:\HD\Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
- adb push C:\HD\busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
- adb push C:\HD\auto_root.sh /data/local/tmp/auto_root.sh
- adb push C:\HD\unlock_security_module /data/local/tmp/unlock_security_module
- adb push C:\HD\break_setresuid /data/local/tmp/break_setresuid
- adb push C:\HD\mole-plough-ccsecurity.so /data/local/tmp/mole-plough-ccsecurity.so
- adb push C:\HD\mole-plough-lsm.so /data/local/tmp/mole-plough-lsm.so
If any file is pushed unsuccessfully, you have to re-push it, of course

4) Use unlock_security_module to obtain temporary root
- adb shell
- shell@android:/ $ cd /data/local/tmp/
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ chmod 777 *
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ ./unlock_security_module
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ ./break_setresuid
You’ll see messages about the process. If it fails, then I’m sorry, I don’t know why yet. If it works without “fail”, you success. Here you’ll something like: Unlocked LSM, Do setresuid… I don’t remember them exactly and after all, the command will change from shell ($) to su (#).

5) Load su, Superuser.apk busybox to system
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp # mount -o rw,remount /system /system
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp # cat /data/local/tmp/su > /system/xbin/su
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp # cat /data/local/tmp/busybox > /system/xbin/busybox
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp # cat /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp # chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp # cd /system/xbin
- shell@android:/system/xbin # chown root.root su
- shell@android:/system/xbin # chown root.root busybox
- shell@android:/system/xbin # chmod 6755 su
- shell@android:/system/xbin # chmod 755 busybox
- shell@android:/system/xbin # mount -o ro,remount /system /system

6) When it’s done, you can remove the cable from PC. Check and see if SuperSU was installed. If it wasn’t, you can download it (SuperSU) from Play Store. Install busybox from Play Store and do the Smart Install. Your HD is now temporary rooted so do not reboot your phone.

7) Install Script Manager – SManager (devwom) from Play Store. Run SManager and choose Browse as root.
- Navigate to /data/local/tmp/ and open auto_root.sh as Script/Excutable (touch and keep for a while).
- Toggle Su on (the icon will change colour to green) and save.
You can reboot and enjoy your permanent root now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-01-21-57-29.png
Views:	17
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	2662652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-01-21-57-35.png
Views:	20
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	2662653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-01-22-00-59.png
Views:	19
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2662654  
Attached Files
File Type: rar HD.rar - [Click for QR Code] (5.52 MB, 2 views)
2nd April 2014, 07:17 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
97 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_5kool

I use the method and files from my XT902 but it works. I don't remember the source of this method (Sorry). I made several changes. My HD is OTA updated from 4.0 to 4.1.2. Here is the method (The risk is yours):

1) Preparation
- SDK & USB Drivers
- Download file from the following address: http://www.mediafire.com/download/13...6c2mhs2/HD.rar or scroll down
- Unzip the file to a specific folder (I put HD folder to the root of C drive)

2) Plug your HD to PC (connect as MTP, unknown source and debugging is on, of course)

3) Do these command (at the directory where you put and perform the adb commands)
- adb push C:\HD\su /data/local/tmp/su
- adb push C:\HD\Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
- adb push C:\HD\busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
- adb push C:\HD\auto_root.sh /data/local/tmp/auto_root.sh
- adb push C:\HD\unlock_security_module /data/local/tmp/unlock_security_module
- adb push C:\HD\break_setresuid /data/local/tmp/break_setresuid
- adb push C:\HD\mole-plough-ccsecurity.so /data/local/tmp/mole-plough-ccsecurity.so
- adb push C:\HD\mole-plough-lsm.so /data/local/tmp/mole-plough-lsm.so
If any file is pushed unsuccessfully, you have to re-push it, of course

4) Use unlock_security_module to obtain temporary root
- adb shell
- shell@android:/ $ cd /data/local/tmp/
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ chmod 777 *
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ ./unlock_security_module
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ ./break_setresuid
You’ll see messages about the process. If it fails, then I’m sorry, I don’t know why yet. If it works without “fail”, you success. Here you’ll something like: Unlocked LSM, Do setresuid… I don’t remember them exactly and after all, the command will change from shell ($) to su (#).

5) Load su, Superuser.apk busybox to system
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp # mount -o rw,remount /system /system
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp # cat /data/local/tmp/su > /system/xbin/su
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp # cat /data/local/tmp/busybox > /system/xbin/busybox
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp # cat /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp # chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
- shell@android:/data/local/tmp # cd /system/xbin
- shell@android:/system/xbin # chown root.root su
- shell@android:/system/xbin # chown root.root busybox
- shell@android:/system/xbin # chmod 6755 su
- shell@android:/system/xbin # chmod 755 busybox
- shell@android:/system/xbin # mount -o ro,remount /system /system

6) When it’s done, you can remove the cable from PC. Check and see if SuperSU was installed. If it wasn’t, you can download it (SuperSU) from Play Store. Install busybox from Play Store and do the Smart Install. Your HD is now temporary rooted so do not reboot your phone.

7) Install Script Manager – SManager (devwom) from Play Store. Run SManager and choose Browse as root.
- Navigate to /data/local/tmp/ and open auto_root.sh as Script/Excutable (touch and keep for a while).
- Toggle Su on (the icon will change colour to green) and save.
You can reboot and enjoy your permanent root now.

is this a different method than the saferoot method I have since read about?
2nd April 2014, 12:13 PM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
64 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytucker718

is this a different method than the saferoot method I have since read about?

I don't know the saferoot method
I've used this method when my M had failed to root by other method
It's worked on my M and HD
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in RAZR HD Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank