Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,048 Members 46,412 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Speed up rooted AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777

Tip us?
 
hynes21
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default Speed up rooted AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777

Hello, So I rooted my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777, my main problem was it was really slow as in molasses up a hill slow, so I rooted it could I get sum assistance as to specific apps that can removed to help speed it up
 
SteveMurphy
Old
#2  
SteveMurphy's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2102
Posts: 1,211
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by hynes21 View Post
Hello, So I rooted my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777, my main problem was it was really slow as in molasses up a hill slow, so I rooted it could I get sum assistance as to specific apps that can removed to help speed it up
It isn't always that easy. What are you on now? Stock Gingerbread or Jelly Bean?

Sometimes simply changing the kernel can speed up the device, but if you're still on the stock kernel you're limited in the tweak options available to you.

Also, we have no way of knowing what apps you have in the first place, so, again, more information please.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
hynes21
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMurphy View Post
It isn't always that easy. What are you on now? Stock Gingerbread or Jelly Bean?

Sometimes simply changing the kernel l can speed up the device, but if you're still on the stock kernel you're limited in the tweak options available to you.

Also, we have no way of knowing what apps you have in the first place, so, again, more information please.
My apologies for not providing enough data.. I'm running jellybean Kernel version: 3.0.31-844945 se. Infra@sep. 143#1...apps that i currently have.. Whatsapp, skype, titanium back up pro, Instagram, Facebook, gmail, es explorer.. Etc nothing out of the ordinary
 
SteveMurphy
Old
#4  
SteveMurphy's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2102
Posts: 1,211
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by hynes21 View Post
...I'm running jellybean Kernel version: 3.0.31-844945 se. Infra@sep. 143#1...apps that i currently have.. Whatsapp, skype, titanium back up pro, Instagram, Facebook, gmail, es explorer...
That's the stock kernel you're on, so unless you switch to AJK 4.9 NoSwap you're going to be greatly limited in what you can do to "speed" up your device.

One of the most basic things to do is to turn off sync, and control that process manually. This will not only save you battery it'll also give you the ability to control this process from running in the background. Facebook and Skype are massive resource hogs, Facebook being the biggest offender. You need to delete that one immediately and use either the browser version or this modded apk developed by @elesbb that does a great job of silencing certain permissions.

But the best thing you can do is read read read; there are hundreds of guides around XDA that are filled with wonderful things!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
creepyncrawly
Old
#5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2957
Posts: 2,452
Join Date: Sep 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Another thing that might help right off the bat is to install Greenify. Then set it to put apps that you use into hibernation when not in use. You can download it free from the play store.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
razen_kain
Old
#6  
razen_kain's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2053
Posts: 2,050
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: shreveport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMurphy View Post
... or this modded apk developed by @elesbb that does a great job of silencing certain permissions....
When were you going to tell me about THIS little jewel!? You're holding out on me @SteveMurphy
The Following User Says Thank You to razen_kain For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
SteveMurphy
Old
#7  
SteveMurphy's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2102
Posts: 1,211
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by razen_kain View Post
When were you going to tell me about THIS little jewel!? You're holding out on me @SteveMurphy
Yep, it's what I do! Just gave you another possible solution for FastDormancy in the RR thread...

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes