[Q] Open .sbu bypass Kies

Search This thread

Calle1756

Jul 17, 2012
ssvcardextractor wont work

This is what I'm writing in dos prompt:

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_03\bin>javac SSVCardExtractor.java
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_03\bin>java SSVCardExtractor.java 20120625T225236.sbu output.vcf
Error: Could not find or load main class SSVCardExtractor.java
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_03\bin>

I've got windows ultimate7 64 english. And the latest jdk. Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

talk2anuj

Jul 29, 2012
need help to extract notes

I upgraded Samsung Galaxy S2 from Gingerbread to ICS 4.0.4. before upgrading, I had taken a backup with Samsung Kies. Now Kies does not recognize my phone. I had backed up my contacts to google account also, so I have managed to recover those. I need to recover the notes, but cant figure out how to do it. Please help.

crimmc

Dec 19, 2010
This is what I'm writing in dos prompt:

I've got windows ultimate7 64 english. And the latest jdk. Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

Here are the commands I've used to run the java class:
1. Copy both files in the same folder (e.g. e:\TestExtractor);
2. Compile the class:
E:\TestExtractor>"c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_05\bin\javac.exe" SSVCardExtractor.java
2. Run the class:
E:\TestExtractor>"c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_05\bin\java.exe" SSVCardExtractor 20120520T011105.sbu output.vcf

Lord_Luncher

Aug 5, 2012
Wrote a program to extract SBU

Hey Guys,

I just wrote a program which extracts Contact data or Calendar and Todo data out of a SBU file. So try it and give me a response!

w w w . l o r d - l u n c h e r . d e

And if you are familiar with the SBU fomrat please send me some hints how to find other data in this file to improve the program!

Regards
Lord_Luncher

sandy_thegame

Jul 17, 2012
Mumbai
Snote restore

I upgraded Samsung Galaxy S2 from Gingerbread to ICS 4.0.4. before upgrading, I had taken a backup with Samsung Kies. Now Kies does not recognize my phone. I had backed up my contacts to google account also, so I have managed to recover those. I need to recover the notes, but cant figure out how to do it. Please help.

i too have same problem need help

Unicorn21376

Sep 21, 2012
sms ffrm sbu file?

Hey Guys,

I just wrote a program which extracts Contact data or Calendar and Todo data out of a SBU file. So try it and give me a response!

And if you are familiar with the SBU fomrat please send me some hints how to find other data in this file to improve the program!

Regards
Lord_Luncher

That looks great!
But I need txt messages, has someone know how to extract sms? Please

Claudia

Last edited:

Sami Kabir

Oct 3, 2012
I had this problem, because I changed the firmware to CyanogenMod and did not want to change back.

As I could not find any program to do this (only this or similar threads), I wrote small "program" (targetted for my self) to extract contacts (VCard data) from SBU file. It actually does not extract the file just finds VCard start and end tags, and writes VCard items into file (or files). This generated VCard-file can be used to import contacts to phone.

I only needed the contacts, so this "program" is not capable extracting anything else. It should not be hard trick to extract the file as it seems to be somekind of uncompressed archive file with UTF-16 encoding.

To execute the program you need Java JDK as the attached package contains only the source file. Detailled compile and execution instructions inside the file.

Hopefully this helps someone.

dude I need to get back my backed-up Tasks. Memos and Bookmarks.. if you can please write a program to do that too.. :)

alokanand02

Dec 18, 2012
thanks

:highfive: thanks

I had this problem, because I changed the firmware to CyanogenMod and did not want to change back.

As I could not find any program to do this (only this or similar threads), I wrote small "program" (targetted for my self) to extract contacts (VCard data) from SBU file. It actually does not extract the file just finds VCard start and end tags, and writes VCard items into file (or files). This generated VCard-file can be used to import contacts to phone.

I only needed the contacts, so this "program" is not capable extracting anything else. It should not be hard trick to extract the file as it seems to be somekind of uncompressed archive file with UTF-16 encoding.

To execute the program you need Java JDK as the attached package contains only the source file. Detailled compile and execution instructions inside the file.

Sami Kabir

Oct 3, 2012
Is there any program that i can completely extract everything one sbu file has inside?
From music, contacts, pictures, program e.t.c.

A lot of thanks.

Yeah I have the same Request too..

One "possible" solution I found is by Flashing your Stock "un-rooted" ROM.. Then connect your phone with KIES via your PC and it should Recognize your phone now.. Restore everything using KIES and then use another alternative Software like Moborobo or Titanium Backup or My Backup PRO to Backup your Data/Apps again...

phinni

Jan 24, 2013
Its Working

Thanks man its working for me...:laugh:

Hey Guys,

Regards
Lord_Luncher

tbind

Jan 24, 2013
Extract and restore SMS messages from sbu file

like many here I couldn't get my messages back using kies after upgrading my phone (Galaxy Note) from gingerbread to ICS
Tx to some tips on this thread and others, I managed to get them back :)

To save others the time here are the steps I followed:
  1. Get the messages part of the sbu file (tx to wetwetwater http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18430481&postcount=9 :good:)
    I asked kies to restore the messages and it created the file structure as described.
    As long as the finish button was not pressed the message.bk file was still there
  2. Unzip the message.bk file (tx to adfree http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22059869&postcount=10 :good:)
    Mind you I couldn't unzip it on windows (7zip nor winzip) but on the android using AndroZip
  3. Now I had a file named mmssms.db and an app_parts folder.
    The db file is an sqlite database with the messages
    The app_part folder contains jpg files of MMS messages (without the jpg extension)
  4. To read the mmssms.db file I used SQLite Manager add on for firefox (launch it from the web developer menu)
    I used it to export the sms table, which contains extensive information of the messages including sender, to/from, text and such, to an xml file
  5. I used SMS Backup & Restore to restore the messages back to the phone
    To do so I had to change the xml file (created by SQLite Manager) to match the format of this tool (used back up of some dummy messages to get the format right).
    This can be done in several ways. I did it using bulk replaces changing the structure "manually", though writing a program may prove easier.
Bear in mind I did not restore the mms messages only the sms messages. But I did the the image files in the app_parts folder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yannisar

guzelino

Feb 5, 2013
Strumica
Redmi Note 10S
Found it :)

Hi all,

This is my first post, and yes I watched the "noob registration video", so please don't be mad at me.

I was wondering how can I open .SBU files so I can restore my game stats (stupid of me to think I could do that with copy-pasting files).
Nevertheless, I came across a very useful program that can extract everything from the .SBU file (calendar/do to, contacts, pictures and files).
It is a freeware, and whoever likes it, he/she can contribute (donate) for it.

I would have post the link to the program but I'm a noob so I am not allowed to (limit of 10 posts so I can paste links).

The program is called: "SBU-Extractor 0.3.0" . I believe google would help :)

Peace ya'll

Emeraldu

Jan 13, 2012
It won't work for memo files.
I managed to restore all my contacts using the info on this thread but I really need to restore my notes.

If notes can't be restored atm (kies doesn't work anymore for me - tried all tips on the internet) at least is there a method to see the notes without Kies ? or..... can I use kies when not connected to my phone to restore the .sbu file ?

EDIT: the app from w w w . l o r d - l u n c h e r . d e actually worked. (extract to do list into separate files) . Now i have all the memos extracted on my HDD. Thanx Lord_Luncher

Last edited:

OSTart

May 8, 2013
Works on Mac too...

1st post - this thread had exactly what I needed, Just updated my phone and realised my phone sync from google didn't include all my recent contacts as I switched auto sync off last year. Doh!

Thankfully had a backup. I've lost a couple of months worth, but just managed to recover most of my contacts.

I found this thread so useful I registerd just to help anyone on OSX with similar issues. Java being cross platform really helps out here.

Here goes...

First check you have Java on your machine...

Go to utilities and run terminal. If you've never used terminal before don't freak. Anything below that has a > means you need to input something and hit enter. If you don't know what enter is, then ring an friend who's a geek and get them to read this thread ;) Ideally one who works in IT and knows Unix or Linux. If they never realised OSX Was unix before, they might go and by a mac after helping you out ;)

At the terminal command prompt type...
Code:
> javac
Usage: javac <options> <source files>
where possible options include:
  -g                         Generate all debugging info
  -g:none                    Generate no debugging info
  -g:{lines,vars,source}     Generate only some debugging info
  -nowarn                    Generate no warnings
and blah blah blah.... for about 20 more lines.

If you get a load of blurb about javac options, then you have java installed. If not, then google how to get it - I won't write that here as there are millions of threads about how to do it, and by the time someone else reads this it will have moved and or changed anyway. It's not difficult and is really no more difficult than installing angry birds on an iphone. You might have to click yes a few more times but that's it.

Once you have java installed and javac does something create a folder in your home directory called SBUExtract

Now - go and download the SSVCardExtract.zip file from page 1 of this thread and put it in the SBUExtract folder. Unzip the file.

The file I ended up with was called SSVCardExtractor 2.java. (Note the space). You'll need to rename this to SSVCardExtractor.java (with no space or 2). The compiler is fussy about the classname (If you don't know what that means - don't worry just rename the file).

Now copy in the .sbu file from /users/yourname/Samsung/Kies/Backup/YourPhoneModel/whatever.sbu into the same SBUExtract folder.

If might be a bit large if you have a lot of photos and videos in.

Now go to the command prompt in terminal again and change directory (folder) so you are in the directory your created earlier:

Code:
> cd /users/yourname/SBUExtract

Check the files are there..

Code:
> ls -l

-rwxrwxrwx  1 Simon  staff  2492542529  1 Aug  2012 20120801T075559.sbu
-rw-------@ 1 Simon  staff        5808  3 Jul  2011 SSVCardExtractor.java

Now compile the file to make a runnable program:

Code:
> javac SSVCardExtractor.java

Check what has been produced....

Code:
> ls -l

-rw-r--r--  1 Simon  staff        1468  8 May 20:01 SSVCardExtractor$1.class
-rw-r--r--  1 Simon  staff        1252  8 May 20:01 SSVCardExtractor$2.class
-rw-r--r--  1 Simon  staff         280  8 May 20:01 SSVCardExtractor$VCardWriter.class
-rw-r--r--  1 Simon  staff        4730  8 May 20:01 SSVCardExtractor.class

Now run the command to get the output.... note you are running java this time - not javac. "java" is the program runner, "javac" is the compiler.

Simples!?

Code:
> java SSVCardExtractor yourSBUFileName.sbu Output.vcf

And agree to the message ;) with 'yes'

When it finishes check what's there...

Code:
> ls -l

-rw-r--r--  1 Simon  staff       99086  8 May 20:06 Output.vcf
-rw-r--r--  1 Simon  staff        1468  8 May 20:01 SSVCardExtractor$1.class
-rw-r--r--  1 Simon  staff        1252  8 May 20:01 SSVCardExtractor$2.class
-rw-r--r--  1 Simon  staff         280  8 May 20:01 SSVCardExtractor$VCardWriter.class
-rw-r--r--  1 Simon  staff        4730  8 May 20:01 SSVCardExtractor.class

That Output.vcf is the list of contacts you can copy to your phone and regain all those lost contacts. You can either email it yourself and open it on the phone or transfer via Kies Wifi/USB Etc.

You might even want to have a look in the file with your favourite text editor/document program. Or even import it to your mac contacts to have an additional "safe" copy.

Thanks to armomurha for the original post!

gabriel959

May 28, 2013
Extracting videos and photos out of a .sbu file

Hi,

I can see from other posts here that other users have had some success extracting contacts, calendar and similar kind of files out of their .sbu files.

I need to retrieve the image and video files out of mine as there are some treasured family photos in there from my daughter.

Does anyone know how to do this without having a Samsung phone?

Thanks!

ScottyGin

Aug 29, 2013
Thanks for this

Hey,

Thanks for the program! I created a new project in eclipse and used your source code. I did find one bug. I corrected an if statement that threw an error if the output file exists. I switched this to throw the error if doesn't exist (see below).

This:
Code:
if (outputFile.exists()) {

Became this:
Code:
if (!outputFile.exists()) {

After this change it ran like a dream! Thanks again for helping me get my contacts back!

Azaxirus

Jul 12, 2012
Anyone know a way to get texts off of a .SBU file? I've tried the SBU Extractor program but it doesn't have an option for texts/SMS messages..

URALLMINE

Apr 2, 2014
need photos from sbu

hi i had a galaxy s2 i backed it up a few times on my pc . i recently bought a galaxy s4 , i tried restoring the sbu files i had backed up from my galaxy s2 but to my horror only the first ever back up i made works the other 2 don't and they are the ones i need . I have tried using an earlier version of kies but i still get the same results . I even tried restoring the sbu files to my galaxy s2 with kies but i get the still the same . I have used the files before with no problem when i had to restore my galaxy s2 last year . Please could you help me with this problem as i have priceless photo's of my children on the files ..
thanks
any help would be much appreciated.

ps the kies programme loads one of the files but nothing is listed eg messages music photo's , so i think the files maybe corrupted . I also deleted my temp folder duh how dull was i.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Eureka!

I found that running Kies Restore does a seemingly complete .sbu file extraction to a temporary directory such as:

C:\Users\{LogonName}\Documents\samsung\Kies\sbu\temp\{NumberID}\{Files Extracted}

One can copy the files one seeks from there.

I hope this helps some people!

It is a shame this is such a crummy part of the Samsung Galaxy S2 Experience that is not user friendly, is not efficient, and does not work well enough.
    Wrote a program to extract SBU

Hey Guys,

Regards
    Lord_Luncher
    I found that running Kies Restore does a seemingly complete .sbu file extraction to a temporary directory such as:

C:\Users\{LogonName}\Documents\samsung\Kies\sbu\temp\{NumberID}\{Files Extracted}

One can copy the files one seeks from there.

I hope this helps some people!

It is a shame this is such a crummy part of the Samsung Galaxy S2 Experience that is not user friendly, is not efficient, and does not work well enough.

Thanks for the brilliant tip! Managed to get my media files out from the .sbu

I backed up using kies, after restoring, the media files were missing. Sigh..

Another disappointed(a little bit) S2 user.

Thanks again!
    So sorry you've had issue with your SBU files with photos. The assistance I've provided in this thread and the app written on the first page only works with vcard files, so contacts as it looks for an XML style start and end tag, and uses this to copy the data out.

Have you tried this?

https://www.lord-luncher.de

I don't know if it works, I just googled "extract data from SBU without kies"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk