Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Question: Is it worth buying LG G PAD now?

OP mawnstermew

2nd April 2014, 08:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24

265 posts
Hi i think i have been delaying far too long for my Sony Tablet S upgrade. and i also do have a tight budget. but do you think this pad is worth buying now? and i do have some questions to ask since the reviews i have been reading these past few days gives of contradictory statements

1. How is the pad's front and rear camera?

2. is the original rom really that laggy?

3. how does this pad stand in intensive gaming? and games in HD graphics as well

4.is it easy to flash roms and custom recovery? what step should i start in?

5. Do you think the processor of this pad will be able to play games that will be released next year or so?

6. Can you recommend any custom rom that boost performance?

I think this should be it for now. i know i have tons of question but i would really like to ask stuff before buying things... thank you!
2nd April 2014, 12:10 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawnstermew

Hi i think i have been delaying far too long for my Sony Tablet S upgrade. and i also do have a tight budget. but do you think this pad is worth buying now? and i do have some questions to ask since the reviews i have been reading these past few days gives of contradictory statements

3. how does this pad stand in intensive gaming? and games in HD graphics as well

5. Do you think the processor of this pad will be able to play games that will be released next year or so?

I think this should be it for now. i know i have tons of question but i would really like to ask stuff before buying things... thank you!

1. Rear camera is great & front one is enough for Skype only.
2.No. Original rom is not laggy that much. You can enjoy it.
3.Perfomance in games is 4 from 5.
4. Very easy. You should start from getting the root access via Kingo Root. And then using the "Flashify" flash custom recovery.
5. It will be but with not so good graphics quality.
6. I have used 18a leaked stock. Antutu 26100. Now will try Mahdi.
2nd April 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 48

319 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawnstermew

1. never used the camera so far
2 I've been using stock rom for the first week and then switched once to Mahdi but then to the linaro cm11 build. Less customizations but otherwise really great and snappy. And it's really more of a stock google experience. Immersive mode works especially well here compared to desktop mode on stock 4.2 and 4.4.
Original rom was good for everyday tasks, but there were just too many things from 4.4 missing that I had on my razr HD, Nook color and Note3 so that switching to a 4.4 rom for me was kind of mandatory.
3. No intensive gaming here, but occasional gaming very well.
4. TWRP recovery was easily installed. Just find the according thread within the forums. I started out with TWRP 2.6.3 and am now on 2.7. Once custom recovery is installed, the rest is a piece of cake.
Actually, initial installation of TWRP was using a batch file. Just connect g pad to your PC and run the batch file. (instructions were included in the TWRP thread).
5. see number 3.
6. Linaro cm11 is really fast, even without ART (seems to be broken for now).
Up until the builds from 29th of March, ART was working and it was great. But the guy making the nightlies switched tool chain to build the nightlies and currently ART is not working. But I have the feeling that my g pad with DALVIK - with the new toolchain process - is even snappier than using ART. So I'll see how this works out once ART works again.

From my point of view, the g pad is still worth its money. It's got a nice form factor, good screen and hardware is more or less up to date. For sure there'll be better tablets out there. Later released devices will most likely be better, but then, they will set you back more $$$ than the g pad.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread