Ask a question

No registration required

Nexus 7 (2013) self-bricked??

OP jakubmi9

31st March 2014, 11:09 PM   |  #21  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
That's very weird, but now, after about fifteen minutes TWRP just showed up. Any clues why does it take so long? I'm starting to think about leaving it for a night on Google screen. Who knows, maybe it'll turn on?
EDIT:
All partitions are showing as 0 mb, and in console, there is a ton of errors like:
Unable to mount system, data, cache, internal storage, and unable to set emmc bootloader message. It seems that partitions messed up. How to fix it?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk
Last edited by jakubmi9; 31st March 2014 at 11:14 PM.
31st March 2014, 11:13 PM   |  #22  
Flag South of Heaven
Thanks Meter: 1,040

1,617 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakubmi9

That's very weird, but now, after about fifteen minutes TWRP just showed up. Any clues why does it take so long? I'm starting to think about leaving it for a night on Google screen. Who knows, maybe it'll turn on?

Dunno, maybe it was hung trying to initialize something then timed out. Leaving it all night on the Google screen would probably kill the battery and not do much good...and would not trust doing it with a charger on it. While twrp is up, I'd do a nandroid, wipe dalvik/cache, and if you have a copy of your ROM on usb try and flash your ROM or stock rom (you can use tassadars stock zip here: http://goo.im/devs/Tassadar/stock_zips).

But this happening all of the sudden like this really makes me think this won't work, and that something is amiss with the EMMC or something.

EDIT: It could even be a bad block, maybe an fsck would fix this...but if it's under warranty it's better to send it back.
Last edited by mdamaged; 31st March 2014 at 11:16 PM.
31st March 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #23  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
I don't think that doing nandroid would do much good now. Also, it's constantly trying to mount data from what I see. Is it possible to lock the bootloader in that state? I'm slowly starting to think about warranty.

31st March 2014, 11:21 PM   |  #24  
Flag South of Heaven

1,617 posts
More
Quote:

I don't think that doing nandroid would do much good now. Also, it's constantly trying to mount data from what I see. Is it possible to lock the bootloader in that state? I'm slowly starting to think about warranty.

If you can get those fastboot adb drivers detecting your device, and fastboot devices shows your id, then oem lock should work, or it might hang.

A little hint, when you install the drivers, reboot the PC first, then plug the device into the PC while the device is on, then reboot the device while it is plugged into the PC, you may have to go into device manager and uninstall the driver and repeat the process if fastboot still is not detecting the device.
31st March 2014, 11:26 PM   |  #25  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Fastboot drivers are working for me, but adb ones do not. Are adb drivers required for locking? I'll try to lock it tomorrow and I'll send it to repair. Also when I tried to power off within TWRP it also froze at the end of the slider.

31st March 2014, 11:30 PM   |  #26  
Flag South of Heaven

1,617 posts
More
Quote:

Fastboot drivers are working for me, but adb ones do not. Are adb drivers required for locking? I'll try to lock it tomorrow and I'll send it to repair. Also when I tried to power off within TWRP it also froze at the end of the slider.

No, you use fastboot to oem lock, don't need adb.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.
Last edited by mdamaged; 31st March 2014 at 11:34 PM.
31st March 2014, 11:32 PM   |  #27  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
It would be wise to erase TWRP before sending it, or does relocking bl erase it? With no partitions left, there would be no way to determine, whether it was modified or not, right?

31st March 2014, 11:35 PM   |  #28  
Flag South of Heaven

1,617 posts
More
Quote:

It would be wise to erase TWRP before sending it, or does relocking bl erase it? With no partitions left, there would be no way to determine, whether it was modified or not, right?

You could try using fastboot erase or reformat on each of the partitions before oem locking it...or better yet try flashing stock recovery manually if possible.
Last edited by mdamaged; 31st March 2014 at 11:37 PM.
2nd April 2014, 10:28 PM   |  #29  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
I still didn't send it back, because i realized that there were threads like this before, with nexuses showing no internal storages. I (hopefully) found a way to repair it, but now I'm wondering. Is it normal for N7 to brick like that? Is it flawed hardware or just bad luck? Also my old recovery is still working (after 15 min of booting), but asks for a password to decrypt. After cancelling, it shows /data being around 28 GB, but can't browse it because of that password. The thread that's supposed to repair it from that state, suggests wiping it. I just don't know is it worth spending my time on, or is it flawed h/w and will happen again. Any clues on it?
3rd April 2014, 12:11 AM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 46

79 posts
By chance was your storage completely full? There a couple people in this thread with similar problems, and 2 of them reported to have almost completely filled storage.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2471341&page=2

As far as it thinking your data is encrypted, I believe based on the comments in this article, that your data is corrupted, so it thinks its encrypted, because it cannot be read.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-against-ext4/

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread