5,593,793 Members 46,705 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Using Verizon Note 3 on Tmobile and AT&T carriers?

Tip us?

LeftyGR
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamale View Post
What's so funny? Am I missing something? As I understand it, all verizon note 3's are unlocked... here's what I'm basing this off of: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2480320
I'm sorry. I just don't understand why anyone would buy a brand new phone from one carrier to specifically use on another. But here you go. Good luck.

http://www.sidhtech.com/news/how-to-...arge/10028425/

♢NoteIII♢
I will not appologize for art.
Galaxy Note 3

tamale
Old
(Last edited by tamale; 28th December 2013 at 04:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyGR View Post
I'm sorry. I just don't understand why anyone would buy a brand new phone from one carrier to specifically use on another. But here you go. Good luck.

♢NoteIII♢
Ah, fair enough. The intention wasn't to do this - the verizon note 3 is from ebay and came factory unlocked. I was planning to use it on verizon till I learned their $60/$70 prepaid plans don't support 4G devices

So, found straight talk, checked this phone's IMEI in their system and it said it'd work... but it's not. There's a lot of confusion out there.. people in this thread saying it "just works" on tmobile and at&t, some saying that it "just works" on straight talk (even mentioning that they're using the at&t compatible sim), but so far, no luck for me.

Here are the confusing points:

1) The verizon note 3 comes factory unlocked. If this is true, why do links like the one you just sent me even exist?
2) The straight talk bring your own device kit from walmart ($60, includes one month of $45 unlimited everything) comes with 5 separate activation options:
- AT&T-compatible full-sized sim
- AT&T-compatible micro sim
- Tmobile-compatible full-sized sim
- Tmobile-compatible micro sim
- CDMA scratch-off network access number

The AT&T ones say "4G LTE available", T-mobile ones say "4G HSPA+ Available", and the CDMA one doesn't mention anything about 3 or 4g, so naturally I thought I should try the AT&T one first. I activated this sim card on straight talk, ported my number, once that was complete I put it in the note 3 and booted up - and I have no service, "emergency calls only", and "non-verizon sim". Just to be certain the phone is unlocked, I tried a completely different, genuine t-mobile sim in the same phone and it worked fine.. it still says "non-verizon sim" but I have service and can make calls.

Really hoping someone can shed some light on what might be happening here.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamale View Post
Ah, fair enough. The intention wasn't to do this - the verizon note 3 is from ebay and came factory unlocked. I was planning to use it on verizon till I learned their $60/$70 prepaid plans don't support 4G devices

So, found straight talk, checked this phone's IMEI in their system and it said it'd work... but it's not. There's a lot of confusion out there.. people in this thread saying it "just works" on tmobile and at&t, some saying that it "just works" on straight talk (even mentioning that they're using the at&t compatible sim), but so far, no luck for me.

Here are the confusing points:

1) The verizon note 3 comes factory unlocked. If this is true, why do links like the one you just sent me even exist?
2) The straight talk bring your own device kit from walmart ($60, includes one month of $45 unlimited everything) comes with 5 separate activation options:
- AT&T-compatible full-sized sim
- AT&T-compatible micro sim
- Tmobile-compatible full-sized sim
- Tmobile-compatible micro sim
- CDMA scratch-off network access number

The AT&T ones say "4G LTE available", T-mobile ones say "4G HSPA+ Available", and the CDMA one doesn't mention anything about 3 or 4g, so naturally I thought I should try the AT&T one first. I activated this sim card on straight talk, ported my number, once that was complete I put it in the note 3 and booted up - and I have no service, "emergency calls only", and "non-verizon sim". Just to be certain the phone is unlocked, I tried a completely different, genuine t-mobile sim in the same phone and it worked fine.. it still says "non-verizon sim" but I have service and can make calls.

Really hoping someone can shed some light on what might be happening here.
Aha, thankfully my problem was a simple one - I called straight talk and had them check the status of the sim card I was trying to use (the micro at&t compatible one) - turns out, it still wasn't activated. SO - they activated it right then and there and everything started working immediately on the phone, too - started right up with the same 4G service my tmobile phone gets in our neighborhood.

SO - in case any one else stumbles upon this, YES, you can use a VERIZON galaxy note 3 with the straight talk AT&T-compatible sim card with the factory stock verizon ROM and no further unlocking. What a crazy world we live in

skunkle88
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I have a Verizon note 3 running on T-Mobile. I bought a prepaid plan starter kit at Walmart. It came with the sim and the first month service for $42. Any T-Mobile sim will work. All I did was pull my Verizon sim out and replace it with the T-Mobile sim. Changed the apn settings and it works great! I had to root and other stuff to enable band 4, but you won't have to. The latest update enabled it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to skunkle88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jmichaels1982
Old
Thanks Meter 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkle88 View Post
I have a Verizon note 3 running on T-Mobile. I bought a prepaid plan starter kit at Walmart. It came with the sim and the first month service for $42. Any T-Mobile sim will work. All I did was pull my Verizon sim out and replace it with the T-Mobile sim. Changed the apn settings and it works great! I had to root and other stuff to enable band 4, but you won't have to. The latest update enabled it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda premium
What data do you get with T-Mobile ? Edge , LTE , hspa ? Where do you live if you dont mind me asking ? Have you tried installing tmobile Roms at this point ? Thanks !!
Ask not what your developer can do for you, ask what you can do for your developer.

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

newuser134
Old
Thanks Meter 77
The vzw Note 3 on T-Mobile gets full 4G lte AND hspa+ 21 mbps (on areas reformed to 1900mhz pcs band, not on their original AWS band 4 1700/2100 mhz hspa+ 42 mbps).

See this post:
VZW Note 3 N900V Fully Functional on T-Mobile 4G lte (band 4)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newuser134 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mwebb34
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaels1982 View Post
What data do you get with T-Mobile ? Edge , LTE , hspa ? Where do you live if you dont mind me asking ? Have you tried installing tmobile Roms at this point ? Thanks !!
So i can go to local Wal-Mart super center and get all i need for 42.00?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

skunkle88
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaels1982 View Post
I work several blocks from downtown Pittsburgh and I live 15 miles outside of Pittsburgh. Both places I get ~80dBm and 100dBm signal with 20mb - 35mb down, and 10 to 20 up. I'm only on hspa occasionally, but speeds are fast. Their edge network is painful. I'm not on it often in the area but when I am I get ~.15mb - .20mb downloads. I would try to find someone in your area that has T-mobile and see what kind of service they get before switching.
The Following User Says Thank You to skunkle88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Eagle815
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Noob needs direction

Ok. After spending many trips and waiting many hours for the guy at a local shop that flashes phones and sells prepaid services.....I have resorted to trying to do some reading and figure out how to do it myself or at least get some info so I don't waste any more money. I have a galaxy s4 on AT&T prepaid and pay 50 per month for unlimited with working hot spot. All good but wanted to get a Note 3. Is it possible to get a Note 3 to work like my s4??

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section. I just need to know which note 3 to buy and if it will work. I will keep reading and searching but wanted a little direction.

Thanks for any help

sloanster
Old
(Last edited by sloanster; 5th April 2014 at 09:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 90

DONATE TO ME
Sure CUZ... just remember Verizon is CMDA and AT&T is GSM they are both bootloader locked and will need safestrap work-a-round!
Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle815 View Post
Ok. After spending many trips and waiting many hours for the guy at a local shop that flashes phones and sells prepaid services.....I have resorted to trying to do some reading and figure out how to do it myself or at least get some info so I don't waste any more money. I have a galaxy s4 on AT&T prepaid and pay 50 per month for unlimited with working hot spot. All good but wanted to get a Note 3. Is it possible to get a Note 3 to work like my s4??

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section. I just need to know which note 3 to buy and if it will work. I will keep reading and searching but wanted a little direction.

Thanks for any help

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Hi,
I got my note 3 from a Pawn Shop, Mint cond for a bargain!!!
That is why someone would buy another's carrier device and use on my current carrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyGR View Post

♢NoteIII♢
DEVICE-2: Note-3 N900V Running on AT&T's network
KERNEL: 3.4.0 stock se.infra
RADIO: N900VVRUBMJE
RECOVERY: SafeStrap version 3.71
ROM: Stock, debloated, multi-themed