Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,888 Members 53,378 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How can I tell which things are running?/How to know if an app is trustworthy?

Tip us?

oy-ster
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc103 View Post
Quote:
Both sources really. There's no hard & fast divide as to what aspect reviewers might respond to at either venue. More often, Play Store reviews have alerted me when my device or my Android version gets poor results from an app. Granted code integrity issues are raised more frequently at XDA.

Interesting example. I will look for the article. I wonder if the app declared that permission in their Play Store disclosure. If not, it challenged Google's policing system. I read somewhere that SELinux in newer ROMs, set to "Enforcing" brokers applicable policies from each host domain and also restricts apps from exceeding their declared permissions. (See also my note on 4.3+ below)

You're welcome! Placing that trust is ultimately a leap of faith, so we ask ourselves:
Does my configuration already offer this function at the OS or existing app level?
Can I justify each declared permission here?
Is there a less invasive equivalent to this app?
Have I gone over the settings thoroughly once installed?
What does my installed anti-virus say about this?
Do I need this to auto launch or only on demand?
Is it using excessive data or uptime as I monitor?
Am I getting all the Android security I could be with my current rom image?
You get the picture. Common sense, best practices & due diligence can go a long way toward closing the security gap.

Google only exposed it (to client apps like App Ops Starter) in 4.3 & 4.4.0, before & after that I believe an Xposed Framework module is the main alternative.

Thanks again!
I just wanted to note that after spending some time here in the forum( http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/ ) looking for some intresting picks, I haven't actually encountered much comments from people that actually went over the code... so I'm a bit bummed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc103 View Post
The "Tasks & Kill All tiles" I referred to appear on Android Tuner Free's One Click advanced mode home screen. BTW certain apps on my phone are "frozen" when not in use.
Oh. Got it.

Anyway, Thank you!!!

pc103
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by oy-ster View Post
Thanks again!
I just wanted to note that after spending some time here in the forum( http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/ ) looking for some intresting picks, I haven't actually encountered much comments from people that actually went over the code... so I'm a bit bummed out.
...Anyway, Thank you!!!
You're welcome. To be fair, most times I've seen postings by people who background checked code it was in rom threads, or over root exploits or security apps. In most other cases due diligence is our best defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to pc103 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]