Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,543 Members 37,236 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"The Galaxy S5 Has The Best Smartphone Display Ever!"

Tip us?

BoneXDA
Old
Thanks Meter 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinaik View Post
Buddy,

You are not getting it. You didn't read my msg properly.

Now my phone is at 400MB free. Opened UC Browser (10 tabs from IMDB) and IMDB app itself. When I jugle between the two, the tabs in UC have gone blank cause the memory available is 232MB.

Then I came out, quit both apps, clear Recents, clear in task manager, kill all in Android Tuner, and mem free is 400MB. That means m gonna be in the same position as earlier even if I have the SO CALLED 3GB RAM. Where is my 2.6GB RAM ?

Why it is not claimed back when I open more and more tabs from UC ?

If I look at Running/Cached apps from settings I don't see it.

If I look at AT task manager I don't see any app using 2.6GB.

So where did it go ?

Sent from my SM-N900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
'Buddy', task killers and free RAM hunt is a thing of the past since JB/2GB+. Let Android manage RAM, when a task requires a large chunk, the system will make it available, otherwise it's using it all for the various things RAM is for. What's the point of my Nex4 having 2 gigs when foreground/background processes, running apps and cached data only uses 1.2? Free RAM is a waste.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BoneXDA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dragon135
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneXDA View Post
'Buddy', task killers and free RAM hunt is a thing of the past since JB/2GB+. Let Android manage RAM, when a task requires a large chunk, the system will make it available, otherwise it's using it all for the various things RAM is for. What's the point of my Nex4 having 2 gigs when foreground/background processes, running apps and cached data only uses 1.2? Free RAM is a waste.
He wants to say there is memory leak bug in note3.. if u kill all process, the use memory should be down to at max like after booting.

Sent from my GT-I9500

BoneXDA
Old
Thanks Meter 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon135 View Post
He wants to say there is memory leak bug in note3.. if u kill all process, the use memory should be down to at max like after booting.

Sent from my GT-I9500
Can't comment on a memory leak, however normally you shouldn't worry about free RAM or task killing or anything like that.

puremind
Old
(Last edited by puremind; 2nd April 2014 at 09:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by hung2900 View Post
Not misleading, but lacking explanation. I know it from the beginning. If with the rate of manual brightness, auto brightness with 50% APL is about 570 nits, with 100% APL is about 530 nits. Anyway it's at least equal or over 500 nits.
Display mate reviews are always misleading. If you read their article as a consumer you would think the S5 hast the brightest screen for Web browsing in direct sun light. As usual they provide the correct measurements but the text they put around the figures is often misleading.

Regarding the brightness levels you quote in direct sunlight for 100% white I doubt them because this is much more than the 25% announced by Samsung and it would kill the battery. Did you conduct the measures yourself? I was going to look into this (out of curiosity more than need since I think +25% should be sufficient for sunlight viewing). Unlike last year where the throttled whites were too dim.

As usual with the AM OLED there is a bigger trade-off between battery life and screen brightness, so hopefully hours of battery will not suffer too much as a result of the +25% jump in brightness and 2% larger screen. They already have battery smaller than Z2 so even though they have increased battery size, all of it and more will be eaten up by the brightness jump (but the chip is more efficient so should still see a decent increase overall). Battery tests are not conducted at maximum levels or in outdoor conditions so this is something to be aware of when interpreting the results.
Samsung Galaxy S4 White
HTC One Silver

calvin35
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Anyone wanting yo watch the GS5 pimp slap the display on the HTC M8. Watch this video at about the 3 minute mark.

http://htc.hdblog.it/2014/04/02/htc-...-da-hdblog-it/

Notice the the excellent white balance on the S5.

kamochi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default black smearing

Did they fix black smearing?

puremind
Old
(Last edited by puremind; 3rd April 2014 at 03:49 AM.)
Thanks Meter 401
The S5 white balance is a tad cooler than the M8. Did the tester say what the brightness setting was? Auto or Maximum?

Both seem to be excellent displays with the Samsung a tad bluer and the M8 a tad less accurate in terms of chromaticity.

The M8 is known to come with different white balance calibrations depending on the factory and so far there is a neutral one and a cooler one. Since the S5 is supposed to be only a bit too cool, it seems like the M8 model has the warmer version calibration. The version tested on Anandtech I think is less neutral.

I can't wait to do my own testing. The display mate test is not very precise as it gives color temperature but not the color composition at each point of the greyscale. But the average Delta E of the greyscale is very good, which confirms my imression that the green-blue push is much less than on the S4. In the store I tried viewing at different angles and the whites remained pretty clean. Still not as neutral as LCD but much improved. It is the first AMOLED screen I see on a smartphone that could pass as an LCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin35 View Post
Anyone wanting yo watch the GS5 pimp slap the display on the HTC M8. Watch this video at about the 3 minute mark.

http://htc.hdblog.it/2014/04/02/htc-...-da-hdblog-it/

Notice the the excellent white balance on the S5.
I find it very interesting that as soon as the diplay mate article came out, Samsung-supporting students as well as a couple of web pages immediately published articles quoting the Displaymate paper and spreading the same incorrect rumors about the screen brightness of 698cd/mē.

I understand that after the bad publicity because of the dim screen last year, they are anxious to Show they have improved but again using foul tactics...

Look at this:
http://allaboutsamsung.de/2014/03/sa...698-cdm%C2%B2/
http://www.extremetech.com/electroni...-on-the-market
http://www.androidnext.de/news/samsu...t-displaymate/
Samsung Galaxy S4 White
HTC One Silver