Moving files and photos to ext sd card

OP aaron130

3rd April 2014, 08:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 287

1,778 posts
More
Hey everyone, I just got my M8 today and absolutely LOVING IT! One issue I am having that I would like some insight to if anyone knows. I am using es file explorer and I have wallpapers downloaded from Zedge, now I try transferring them from Internal storage to sd card and it never goes through! I've also tried moving a music file I use as a ringtone and it does the same thing. Can we not transfer to ex sd card from on the device? Do we need a computer for this? Seems odd to me. Thanks for any help!!
3rd April 2014, 03:29 PM   |  #2  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron130

Hey everyone, I just got my M8 today and absolutely LOVING IT! One issue I am having that I would like some insight to if anyone knows. I am using es file explorer and I have wallpapers downloaded from Zedge, now I try transferring them from Internal storage to sd card and it never goes through! I've also tried moving a music file I use as a ringtone and it does the same thing. Can we not transfer to ex sd card from on the device? Do we need a computer for this? Seems odd to me. Thanks for any help!!

I think this has something to do with the new KitKat policy limiting how storage be manipulated by the apps installed on your phone. The short explanation would be that apps only are permitted read/write access to the folders they are installed into. Programs like File Explorers are therefore incapable of actually doing file operations because the other areas of the internal and external storage are "out of bounds".

I'm sure its way more complicated than that, but someone smarter than I would have to step in to really lay out all the reasons this is how things work on KitKat. It is a bit frustrating, but from what I understand, it was a security measure put in place by Google. Custom roms/kernels will no doubt remove this restriction.

Hope that helps!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread