Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,054 Members 40,740 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A method to offload /system/app to /preinstall

Tip us?

timjosten
Old
(Last edited by timjosten; 16th April 2014 at 09:41 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Info 2 A method to offload /system/app to /preinstall

Hello! I would like to share some knowledge about Atrix 2, especially about using the KitKat port by alteredlikeness on it. If you want to install the ROM on System 1, you face some problems with free space. There is no space to install Google Apps, even the micro modular one. Fortunately, there are unused partitions on the device, like /cache and /preinstall. We can benefit from using it.
Also, I recommend installing custom ROMs on JB Leak 3 firmware. It has better partition layout than the stock ICS (big data partition, relatively small cache partition).
Let's go straight to the facts. To offload the system apps to /preinstall partition you need to edit this file:
/system/etc/bmm/script/boot.sh

remount /system as read-write and add the following code after this line:
Code:
/bb translate -i $MNT $BLK $STR $SYSN > $1/init.fs.rc
this needs to be added:
Code:
  echo exec /bb mount -o remount rw /system                               >>$1/init.fs.rc
  echo exec /bb mkdir -p /preinstall/system/app                           >>$1/init.fs.rc
  echo exec /bb mkdir -p /preinstall/system/priv-app                      >>$1/init.fs.rc
  echo exec /bb cp /system/app/* /preinstall/system/app                   >>$1/init.fs.rc
  echo exec /bb cp /system/priv-app/* /preinstall/system/priv-app         >>$1/init.fs.rc
  echo exec /bb rm /system/app/*                                          >>$1/init.fs.rc
  echo exec /bb rm /system/priv-app/*                                     >>$1/init.fs.rc
  echo exec /bb mount --bind /preinstall/system/app /system/app           >>$1/init.fs.rc
  echo exec /bb mount --bind /preinstall/system/priv-app /system/priv-app >>$1/init.fs.rc
On each reboot, it will look for apps in /system/app and move them to /preinstall/system/app and bind that folder to /system/app. Binding works stable, symlinks are not working at all in this case. Don't know why, apps always crashed if I used symlinks.

This all is useful if you want to install custom ROM on System 1.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timjosten For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

devilhunter47
Old
Thanks Meter 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjosten View Post
Hello! I would like to share some knowledge about Atrix 2, especially about using the KitKat port by alteredlikeness on it. If you want to install the ROM on System 1, you face some problems with free space. There is no space to install Google Apps, even the micro modular one. Fortunately, there are unused partitions on the device, like /cache and /preinstall. We can benefit from using it.
Also, I recommend installing custom ROMs on JB Leak 3 firmware. It has better partition layout than the stock ICS (big data partition, relatively small cache partition).
Let's go straight to the facts. To offload the system apps to /preinstall partition you need to edit this file:
/system/etc/bmm/script/boot.sh

remount /system as read-write and add the following code after this line:
Code:
/bb translate -i $MNT $BLK $STR $SYSN > $1/init.fs.rc
this needs to be added:
Code:
  echo exec /bb mount -o remount rw /system                     >>$1/init.fs.rc
  echo exec /bb mkdir -p /preinstall/system/app                 >>$1/init.fs.rc
  echo exec /bb cp /system/app/* /preinstall/system/app         >>$1/init.fs.rc
  echo exec /bb rm /system/app/*                                >>$1/init.fs.rc
  echo exec /bb mount --bind /preinstall/system/app /system/app >>$1/init.fs.rc
On each reboot, it will look for apps in /system/app and move them to /preinstall/system/app and bind that folder to /system/app. Binding works stable, symlinks are not working at all in this case. Don't know why, apps always crashed if I used symlinks.

This all is useful if you want to install custom ROM on System 1.
Nice work man!!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

dskararia
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Active display

I am on liquid smooth kitkat .
I want to use active display like moto x.
is it possible?

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

system-1 stock rom
sys-3 liquid smooth kitkat.

earlier i've tried lot of rom like Mokee, PAC,SlimBean,etc but till today liquid smooth is the best.
please share ur experience regarding roms.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

system-1 stock rom
sys-3 liquid smooth kitkat.

earlier i've tried lot of rom like Mokee, PAC,SlimBean,etc but till today liquid smooth is the best.
please share ur experience regarding roms.

sameerm02
Old
(Last edited by sameerm02; 3rd April 2014 at 02:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 117
if you want app, use this app from play store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ivedisplay_ads

or refer this forum

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...utmk=231451420
Android Device history:
--->> HTC Buzz (With CM7) {retired}
--->> Motorola Atrix 2 (MultiBoot with 4.4.4 Custom ROM's)
--->> Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 (with Resurrection Remix 4.4.2)
--->> LG G2 !! (With Stock 4.4.2)