Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,168 Members 50,689 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Top Side Microphone

Tip us?
 
hAvAAck
Old
#1  
hAvAAck's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 36
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando
Question Top Side Microphone

I had to replace my s4 and the one I got has issues with the speaker phone microphone, the one on top. I can't find anything about how to replace it, if possible. Does anyone have a source for that or experience doing it?
Sprint Galaxy S4
Android 4.4.2
Baseband NAE
Slimrom 3.0
 
sainthooligan
Old
(Last edited by sainthooligan; 3rd April 2014 at 03:17 PM.)
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 92
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hAvAAck View Post
I had to replace my s4 and the one I got has issues with the speaker phone microphone, the one on top. I can't find anything about how to replace it, if possible. Does anyone have a source for that or experience doing it?
Looks pretty easy & you can get the assembly fairly cheap...and looks like it's attached to/with the charging port http://www.amazon.com/ePartSolution-.../dp/B00EZ69E34

Here's a vid for the charging port replacement (since mics are part of that assembly)
youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54aYNLlmad0


some general teardown pics:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsu...Teardown/13947


BTW....that should also just be covered if you have ins.
The Following User Says Thank You to sainthooligan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
hAvAAck
Old
#3  
hAvAAck's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 36
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthooligan View Post
Looks pretty easy & you can get the assembly fairly cheap...and looks like it's attached to/with the charging port http://www.amazon.com/ePartSolution-.../dp/B00EZ69E34

Here's a vid for the charging port replacement (since mics are part of that assembly)
youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54aYNLlmad0


some general teardown pics:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsu...Teardown/13947


BTW....that should also just be covered if you have ins.
Is this for the mic at the bottom of the phone near the microUSB port? I'm having issues with the mic at the top near the audio jack.
Sprint Galaxy S4
Android 4.4.2
Baseband NAE
Slimrom 3.0
 
sainthooligan
Old
(Last edited by sainthooligan; 3rd April 2014 at 06:26 PM.)
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 92
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hAvAAck View Post
Is this for the mic at the bottom of the phone near the microUSB port? I'm having issues with the mic at the top near the audio jack.
Yep, I did notice you initially mentioned the mic at the to of the phone, which is why I posted what I did.
I personally don't have a need to open my phone up to see for myself at this time, but if I did I'd chronicle the process for you and share some pics.... but again, in the links I shared, pics and vid are relatively easy to follow and access those particular parts for you to see what you actually need.

That said, the assembly for the link I shared looks like it includes the ribbon for the top mic as well as the bottom mic.
Also, from the links that I shared, the teardown only shows the mic location at the bottom, which would be on the assembly. The other mic isn't necessarily shown. So, I think you'll need to do some homework and see how the tear down is. It looks relatively easy to get to, so you can see where the mic is/how it sets for the top...or if it is like the mic at the bottom.

These are what would appear to be the bottom mic http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Replacem...item3cddf3ad8b
So, it isn't necessarily clear if the top mic is the same or not - that's where the links are for, so you can take a look at what you'll need. Crack that puppy open and take a look.

The other thing I was thinking is that it is so close to the headphone jack, it might be a part of that assembly, which is also viewable in the teardown pics. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-SAMSUNG-...item20e25dc52e

It's hard to tell what it is exactly without seeing it upfront, so I'm just trying to help point you in the right direction...but I suspect you'll have a better idea if you can take a look on the inside. And judging from the previous links I shared, it doesn't appear that difficult to access where the top mic would rest to see what you need.

EDIT: one other thing, have you simply tried pushing the tip of a push pin or needle to possible clear any debris out of the hole for the mic? is the mic just not working at all? How do you know it's the top mic?
The Following User Says Thank You to sainthooligan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
hAvAAck
Old
#5  
hAvAAck's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 36
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando
Excellent, thanks. I'm told it's intermittent when I'm speaking on speakerphone (top mic), but not on the regular headset (bottom mic) or bluetooth.
Sprint Galaxy S4
Android 4.4.2
Baseband NAE
Slimrom 3.0
 
sainthooligan
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 92
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hAvAAck View Post
Excellent, thanks. I'm told it's intermittent when I'm speaking on speakerphone (top mic), but not on the regular headset (bottom mic) or bluetooth.
Just curious, but have you tried turning off the noise cancelling/reduction option? it might be trying to adjust with background noise and is actually working against you...

you can get that from the dialer > Menu > call settings > and deselect "Noise Reduction" ...or during a call hit the little sound wave icon that has a line diagonal through it... it is directly above the "Add call" button - so that it's "grey" rather than green.

Sounds more to me like the noise reduction. Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to sainthooligan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
hAvAAck
Old
#7  
hAvAAck's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 36
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthooligan View Post
Just curious, but have you tried turning off the noise cancelling/reduction option? it might be trying to adjust with background noise and is actually working against you...

you can get that from the dialer > Menu > call settings > and deselect "Noise Reduction" ...or during a call hit the little sound wave icon that has a line diagonal through it... it is directly above the "Add call" button - so that it's "grey" rather than green.

Sounds more to me like the noise reduction. Just a thought.
That might be it. I'm on AOSP, but I turned off the noise suppression.
Sprint Galaxy S4
Android 4.4.2
Baseband NAE
Slimrom 3.0
 
sainthooligan
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 92
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hAvAAck View Post
That might be it. I'm on AOSP, but I turned off the noise suppression.
Well, you might be able to narrow it down at least to software or hardware for sure by trying a different ROM and see if it persists...

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes