[Q] Going back to stock...specific question

OP Thisrobot

3rd April 2014, 07:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 6

68 posts
Yes, I read the how to's and FAQ's, but it still isn't clear to me.

I have an ATT S3 with AOKP version jb-mr2 mileston1

android 4.3.1

baseband I747UCUEMJB

I read here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2658486 that I could just run this recovery zip and everything would be good. I don't know this guy from adam. So that bothers me a little (he is highly rated, a contributor, etc...getting roms from strangers is just a paranoid thing with me...no offence.), but I'd be willing to do it if it is the only way.

I was looking for a way to do it via heimdal/odin by flashing the stock rom. This has the same trust issues I guess. I didn't find a definitive how to on this for my particular situation.

Ideally I'd like to go straight to the source and reflash everything. I read in this thread that I shouldn't use Kies on the stock OTA to go back to stock, but that's not what I'm doing. However, I would like to avoid bricking my phone.

Advice...
3rd April 2014, 07:44 AM   |  #2  
Flag Pensacola, FL
Thanks Meter: 60

316 posts
More
The thread that you mentioned is pretty clear on the instructions. Heck, I'll even quote them below:
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by enewman17

This is a last ditch effort for restoring the AT&T I747 to factory stock. This zip will wipe all data, clear the binary flash count, restore the system, flash the latest KNOX firmware and stock recovery. There is absolutely no possible way to clear the warranty bit back to 0x0 IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO REVERT ONCE TRIPED!! Not even Samsung can undo this.! Its the price we pay for rooting our phones.

Then you simply flash that within your recovery and then follow the below instructions within that thread. You should now have a phone that is pretty much factory new. As long as you're on the bootloader, which you stated you were, you'll be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to codemonkey98 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd April 2014, 09:21 PM   |  #3  
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 74

354 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisrobot

Yes, I read the how to's and FAQ's, but it still isn't clear to me.

I have an ATT S3 with AOKP version jb-mr2 mileston1

android 4.3.1

baseband I747UCUEMJB

I read here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2658486 that I could just run this recovery zip and everything would be good. I don't know this guy from adam. So that bothers me a little (he is highly rated, a contributor, etc...getting roms from strangers is just a paranoid thing with me...no offence.), but I'd be willing to do it if it is the only way.

I was looking for a way to do it via heimdal/odin by flashing the stock rom. This has the same trust issues I guess. I didn't find a definitive how to on this for my particular situation.

Ideally I'd like to go straight to the source and reflash everything. I read in this thread that I shouldn't use Kies on the stock OTA to go back to stock, but that's not what I'm doing. However, I would like to avoid bricking my phone.

Advice...

Can understand your concerns. The file is good. However, don't just take mine or anybody's word for it. Do what the instruction says and verify the MD5 before flashing. Verifying the MD5 of an executable file is one sure way of confirming that the file hasn't been tampered with or backdoored in some way. Usually, the original author of the file means well. However, for programs that are out in the public domain, it is easy enough for hackers to introduce some malware into the original program and corrupt it in some way. With an MD5, it is practically impossible for two separately created programs or a program that has been altered in some way from the original to have identical MD5s. Also if you download incorrectly or incompletely, the MD5 lets you know something is wrong.

There are freeware apps on the web that let you verify an MD5 and I would suggest you look for this. If you download the zip, therefore, and verify the MD5 to be the same as the one advised by the OP, then you are good to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry2999 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread