Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,145 Members 45,456 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Newly Discovered WiFi Issue - Help!

Tip us?

mfaisal98
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Newly Discovered WiFi Issue - Help!

Hi all, The wifi issue I need to discuss is NOT talked about in this forum before (I have searched manually). This wifi issue of Nexus 7 2 was an incidental finding. I have this unit since 2 months now and at present I am on the latest build of MahdiRom (flo). Everything works fine and smooth except... the Wifi LAN upload speed is very low, around 170 KB/s (kilo BYTES). While the download speed is upto 1.5MB/s (Mega Byte). My old HTC HD2 (also on same Wifi local network) shows 1.0MB/s uploads and same download speeds. It seems that something is PREVENTING the wifi of Nexus 7 2 from reaching its max. upload speed. This issue persists even on STOCK ROM (KK 4.4.2 KOT49H). I tried to do the speed test of wifi local network through a wifi adhoc connection but didn't know how to do that. Instead, I used an app called Fast File Transfer" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...transfer).This app uses Wi-Fi Tethering for establishing a connection between the devices but does not need the Internet. And to my surprise it showed upto 2.1 MB/s upload speed of Nexus 7 2, meaning that the wifi adpater is working fine!!!

My setup:
1. Wimax broadband modem (DHCP is ON, IP: 192.168.15.1)
2. Linksys WRT54G (DHCP OFF, (acitng as a wireless access point) Set to Wireless G only mode, Security set to WPA-2, IP: 192.168.15.10)
3. HTC HD2 (Android Gingerbread 2.3.7 custom rom by JauguarAlani, IP: 192.168.15.15)
4. Nexus 7 2 (2013) (Mahdirom latest build KK 4.4.2 ( build number KVT49L)

I hope you get the picture.. I would be much grateful if anyone would kindly direct me in the right direction. Thanks

N.B: Also tried FTP method, but still the same speed.

peterk-1
Old
Thanks Meter 42
I presume the IP address in 1&2 (.1 & .2) is a typo. What is the speed of your internet connection as claimed by your ISP or tested?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

mfaisal98
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk-1 View Post
I presume the IP address in 1&2 (.1 & .2) is a typo. What is the speed of your internet connection as claimed by your ISP or tested?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
Thanks for responding. NO, there is no typo! The Wimax Broadband Modem has an IP: 192.168.15.1. It is the Gateway and its DHCP is ON. The Linksys WRT54G has an IP: 192.168.15.10 (static), and its DHCP is OFF. All other devies also have static IPs. The speed of my Internet Connection is 1.0 (one megabit/s) and I am getting slightly more than what I should be getting. This issue strictly has to do something with my Local Wireless Network. Thanks anyway.

mfaisal98
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Update! Problem solved!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaisal98 View Post
Hi all, The wifi issue I need to discuss is NOT talked about in this forum before (I have searched manually). This wifi issue of Nexus 7 2 was an incidental finding. I have this unit since 2 months now and at present I am on the latest build of MahdiRom (flo). Everything works fine and smooth except... the Wifi LAN upload speed is very low, around 170 KB/s (kilo BYTES). While the download speed is upto 1.5MB/s (Mega Byte). My old HTC HD2 (also on same Wifi local network) shows 1.0MB/s uploads and same download speeds. It seems that something is PREVENTING the wifi of Nexus 7 2 from reaching its max. upload speed. This issue persists even on STOCK ROM (KK 4.4.2 KOT49H). I tried to do the speed test of wifi local network through a wifi adhoc connection but didn't know how to do that. Instead, I used an app called Fast File Transfer" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...transfer).This app uses Wi-Fi Tethering for establishing a connection between the devices but does not need the Internet. And to my surprise it showed upto 2.1 MB/s upload speed of Nexus 7 2, meaning that the wifi adpater is working fine!!!

My setup:
1. Wimax broadband modem (DHCP is ON, IP: 192.168.15.1)
2. Linksys WRT54G (DHCP OFF, (acitng as a wireless access point) Set to Wireless G only mode, Security set to WPA-2, IP: 192.168.15.10)
3. HTC HD2 (Android Gingerbread 2.3.7 custom rom by JauguarAlani, IP: 192.168.15.15)
4. Nexus 7 2 (2013) (Mahdirom latest build KK 4.4.2 ( build number KVT49L)

I hope you get the picture.. I would be much grateful if anyone would kindly direct me in the right direction. Thanks

N.B: Also tried FTP method, but still the same speed.
My router was set for "G-Only" devices so I tried the option "Mixed" that is, B and G both. And it worked!! Although it doesn't make any sense, since my HTC HD2 (a four year old phone, running Android GB 2.3.7 was already performeing very good with the G-Only setting, but anyway, my problem is solved!

sbaeder
Old
Thanks Meter 17
makes sense to me, since the router would be doing a lot of extra work to make sure it only used the newer protocol, and somehow it interfered with the nexus...But glad your solved!
Tags
issue, lan speed, nexus 7 2, wifi