5,593,293 Members 32,603 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[App][Source][1/10] - AOSP Browser freshly compiled from source with Adobe flash!

Tip us?

MR H3LLMAN
Old
Thanks Meter 96

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Westlake View Post
Yea. If the install program ran and looked like it was working, but at the end only said something like "not installed", then it's very likely you forgot that your signature does not match the installed apk's signature and that you need to uninstall existing applications before installing applications with different signatures.

Frank
Hmmmm would this still be true for the version that I compiled myself straight from source? Also, I didn't have the original browser installed at all. I can see why it would be an issue if I used the reverse engineered one I did but that's not the case. How would I go about changing the signature on a freshly compiled version of the browser?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Frank Westlake
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR H3LLMAN View Post
Hmmmm would this still be true for the version that I compiled myself straight from source?
Yes.

Quote:
Also, I didn't have the original browser installed at all.
Then my guess was bad. The first place to look for problems when you successfully built a package from existing code is the manifest.

Quote:
I can see why it would be an issue if I used the reverse engineered one I did but that's not the case.
If you mean that smali decompiler then the signature issue would be no different.

Quote:
How would I go about changing the signature on a freshly compiled version of the browser?
This might be the problem -- an unsigned package. A signature is the same thing applied to recovery flashed archives, when they're done properly. The compiler should have information on how to sign a package. Eclipse has it built in, smali you must do manually, ant is manual but can be automated. They might apply a self-made debug signature to the apk and that's good enough for here, but normally you would create your own signature.

Frank
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Westlake For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MR H3LLMAN
Old
Thanks Meter 96

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Westlake View Post
Yes.

Then my guess was bad. The first place to look for problems when you successfully built a package from existing code is the manifest.

If you mean that smali decompiler then the signature issue would be no different.

This might be the problem -- an unsigned package. A signature is the same thing applied to recovery flashed archives, when they're done properly. The compiler should have information on how to sign a package. Eclipse has it built in, smali you must do manually, ant is manual but can be automated. They might apply a self-made debug signature to the apk and that's good enough for here, but normally you would create your own signature.

Frank
Dude, thank you. Seriously, thank you for that explanation. I actually knew about signatures in Eclipse and such but didn't even think about it. Going to try to move a copy of my code over to my Windows box and compile it in either Eclipse or Android Studio. I never had a great grasp on signatures but it all just clicked. Will keep you updated!
The Following User Says Thank You to MR H3LLMAN For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]