Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,239 Members 50,330 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it still unsafe to go from S-Off to S-On?

Tip us?

fenstre
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 469
Default [Q] Is it still unsafe to go from S-Off to S-On?

I just S-Offed with Firewater. I know in the past (maybe in the revone days), I read a lot of warnings about not going back to S-On because you might never be able to gain S-Off again. Is this still the case? I think I need to have my phone serviced, and I'm worried they might not replace it--in that case, I don't want to be stuck with a devie whose firmware I can't ever upgrade.
If I helped, click Thanks!

alray
Old
Thanks Meter 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenstre View Post
I just S-Offed with Firewater. I know in the past (maybe in the revone days), I read a lot of warnings about not going back to S-On because you might never be able to gain S-Off again. Is this still the case? I think I need to have my phone serviced, and I'm worried they might not replace it--in that case, I don't want to be stuck with a devie whose firmware I can't ever upgrade.
S-OFF is hard to achieve on hboot 1.56. If you turn s-on on hboot 1.55 and above, the tampered flag will come back after a few reboot. So only s-on on hboot 1.44-1.54.
If I've helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want a reply, quote or mention me using @alray

Useful links for the HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fenstre
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray View Post
S-OFF is hard to achieve on hboot 1.56. If you turn s-on on hboot 1.55 and above, the tampered flag will come back after a few reboot. So only s-on on hboot 1.44-1.54.
Thanks! So the biggest problem is that people S-Off, then upgrade hboot, then turn S-On again? I suspected that... sounds like the problem with people that convert their phone to GPe, and then relock their bootloaders.

I have hboot 1.54, so I guess I'm good to S-Off and S-On at will? Thanks!

NxNW
Old
Thanks Meter 516
Sure, that's a good HBOOT to start with if you want to S-OFF.

But just to get back to the original topic of this thread, it's not particularly "safe" to go S-ON. Ever.

The danger is not about whether it's easy to change your mind and go back to S-OFF later.

The larger danger is you can brick the phone (for real-- hard brick, truly dead phone) if your HBOOT has been modified or damaged at some point before you attempt S-ON.

Going back and forth between S-OFF and S-ON "at will" is just asking for trouble.

My personal policy is never S-ON for any reason. Not even warranty repair.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

fenstre
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
The danger is not about whether it's easy to change your mind and go back to S-OFF later.
The larger danger is you can brick the phone (for real-- hard brick, truly dead phone) if your HBOOT has been modified or damaged at some point before you attempt S-ON.
Oh, that makes sense. And I see that, for example, modifying HBoot would make it pretty easy to make it so you can't ever root. So I'll cross "hboot mod" off my list of options.