Anyone get the M8 using Edge program?

Search This thread

LPChris

Jul 14, 2007
I work for VZW and can testify that EDGE really is a sweet deal. I got mine on Edge and since I'm on Share Everything I still received a $10 bill credit for 2 years which means it only effected my bill by about $15. Which is a pretty awesome deal since you can do it all over again at 12 months...which means I'll only have paid roughly $200 for this phone instead of $600. Money!

Sent from my HTC One M8

So you'll have paid the same amount as if you bought it up front and yet not get to keep it when it's time to upgrade? Doesn't sound like a sweet deal to me.

superjshorty

Apr 3, 2014
So you'll have paid the same amount as if you bought it up front and yet not get to keep it when it's time to upgrade? Doesn't sound like a sweet deal to me.

What? No, lol. You will only have paid like half the price. Or less depending on if you go back and upgrade after a year or wait a little longer. If you buy up front its $605.99 or something...if you EDGE and keep it for a year you definitely haven't paid that much. And let's face it...phones start to lose their value after a full two years so you never really get that much out of them anyway.

wormyMNT

Jul 11, 2010

No, you only have to pay 1/2 of full price then you edge up to a new device. So, if a phone cost $600 retail. You pay $300 then edge up to a new device. And so what if you don't get to keep the old one. Image it like buying a car, you take a loan/lean out for a car. You pay monthly payments on the car but a yr later you want to trade it in and get a new car. The dealership agrees to pay your loan off you don't keep your old car but you get a brand new one... The edge program is the same way

Last edited:

deeznuts

Sep 19, 2007
No, you only have to pay 1/2 of full price then you edge up to a new device. So, if a phone cost $600 retail. You pay $300 then edge up to a new device. And so what if you don't get to keep the old one. Image it like buying a car, you take a loan/lean out for a car. You pay monthly payments on the car but a yr later you want to trade it in and get a new car. The dealership agrees to pay your loan off you don't keep your old car but you get a brand new one... The edge program is the same way

Exactly! Not rocket science, who keeps 2-3yr old phones? Then thinks 3yrs later it's worth something in cash value or trade in? More like a paper weight but to each their own. I see edge program as my monthly bill is cheap with it, I got hooked up. Basically have same monthly bill as I did without edge so really not paying anything more in my mind. But get to trade up every year or sooner if I wanted to with zero out of pocket. Win win for me.

wormyMNT

Jul 11, 2010
Exactly! Not rocket science, who keeps 2-3yr old phones? Then thinks 3yrs later it's worth something in cash value or trade in? More like a paper weight but to each their own. I see edge program as my monthly bill is cheap with it, I got hooked up. Basically have same monthly bill as I did without edge so really not paying anything more in my mind. But get to trade up every year or sooner if I wanted to with zero out of pocket. Win win for me.

Indeed!!! Win win for me too. That's why I went on it

pjim

Jul 18, 2009
San Diego
I am expecting my new M8 today. Using edge on a 30gb plan with 2 voice lines and a hotspot, I pay $24.99 a month for each phone, M8 and iphone 5s. But they give me a credit for $25.00 on each line for the data. Seems fair to me.

I don't want to jinx myself, but I got the phones yesterday. I didn't see any return packaging for my old phones. So I call 'em up and ask about it.
The phones I started my original contract with were damaged in an accident, no insurance, so I bought 2 from Craigslist. Since i didn't buy the phones from Verizon.........THEY DON'T WANT THEM BACK! So I keep my old Note 2 and the wife's iphone 4s. So i traded in my car (from the above scenario), they don't want it because I didn't buy it from them, and I still get new cars without any increase in my monthly payment.

Boy...... I don't think I can take too much more of those abusive sales tactics!

Last edited:

elir41

Oct 9, 2010
When the two years are up of the $25 off the access line (10gb or more gets $25off; 8gb and under gets $10 off) does your plan jump up back to the normal pricing?

Also, they mention a phone in working order has to be turned in. Can it be any phone? I have some old basic phones that have been collecting dust in my desk drawer.
Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pjim

Jul 18, 2009
San Diego
When the two years are up of the $25 off the access line (10gb or more gets $25off; 8gb and under gets $10 off) does your plan jump up back to the normal pricing?

Also, they mention a phone in working order has to be turned in. Can it be any phone? I have some old basic phones that have been collecting dust in my desk drawer.

I'm not sure about the discount, stands to reason it would cease with the completion of your Edge agreement.

I was made to understand that the phone you started with is the phone they take back, since I didn't have mine, they didn't ask me for anything back.

Your results may vary. I think I just got really lucky.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: elir41

elir41

Oct 9, 2010
I'm not sure about the discount, stands to reason it would cease with the completion of your Edge agreement.

I was made to understand that the phone you started with is the phone they take back, since I didn't have mine, they didn't ask me for anything back.

Started with as in your first Verizon phone?

young0ne

Dec 18, 2008
Acworth, GA
something like edge but not

I went to my store yesterday and they have a plan like EDGE but its not. pay for the phone over a 12 months of what ever the phone cost no change in plan whats so ever so I pay monthly and still get to keep my unlimited data .:laugh:

InfiniteXavier

Apr 4, 2014
I like verizon edge a lot. I am not sure why it would raise anyone's bill since they are now giving you a $20.00 credit for moving to edge to compete with ATT. I was told by the verizon rep when i got my M8 that it was going from 20.00 to 25.00 actually but haven't seen it on my bill yet so i can't confirm but all 4 of my lines received a $20.00 credit on our bill when we all upgraded to edge at the end of our contract period.

holla420

Oct 6, 2011
Atlanta,Ga
I got my M8 with edge plan.it lowered my bill for me. Of course I had to change things around on my account but ending up being like $17 cheaper. I can go in and pay on it if I like. It's like renting a phone lol

Sent from my Insane powered M8 using Tapatalk

keith843

Jul 19, 2012
I didn't do the edge program, I have monthly installments of $50 for 10 months. $100 down payment

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I guess I mean locked down for upgrades, (where I live Verizon is the only carrier that gets great service so in my eyes I will always be with them) but it's nice to be able to upgrade when you want

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Can someone please explain the subsidies and how you pay for that along with the phone cost? Would be much appreciated as I am very confused...

Basically when you sign a two year contract, they give you a subsidized price on a device, a discount if you will for signing a two year contract. With Verizon you can only get a subsidized price on a device every two years. Every two years they offer you an "upgrade" to renew your contract and you get a device again at the subsidized price.
    Now the reason people pay full retail for a device is because they aren't eligible for an upgrade/contract renewal and have no other way to get it aside from just paying the full retail price of the device and not the subsidized price.
    Then there's the people who still have unlimited data. Verizon quit doing unlimited data over a year ago. They offered tons of people "early upgrades" in exchange for dropping their unlimited data plan. So alot of the people who still have unlimited data are eligible for upgrading their two year contract and getting a new device, but don't do it as it would mean losing the unlimited data plan that they will never get again. So instead of renewing their contract, they just pay full retail for the device and don't have to.
    Then there is Verizon Edge. Which really when it comes down to it is a total rip-off. But it does allow for people to upgrade their devices sooner.
    Basically the way it works is almost like a car lease. The price of the device (full retail) is broken down into 24 payments. So for example the HTC One M8 is 599$ You could go in to a Verizon store pay 25$ down, with 25$ extra a month on your plan, trade in your old device, and take home a new device. Then after thirty days if you pay at least half the total cost of the device you can edge up again. It's kinda cool, but its total rape, because they are getting your two years of patronage at the normal plan rates AND your paying for retail for the device AND you are trading in your old device which they are just gonna sell as a CLNR device. The one saving grace is that you can get a new device as often as you like pretty much.
    Hope that answers your questions.

Started with as in your first Verizon phone?

As in the phone that you started your calling plan contract with. I was still on a 2 yr. Like if you went in a year ago and signed up, That phone.
    Why wouldn't employee discount apply with the Edge program? It is completely separate. On my account, I have a family share plan with 25% off on 10 GB of data so that goes down from $100 to $75. One of the 3 phones is on the Edge plan and will get the $25 off for that phone ($40-25 + $24.99 for the cost of phone monthly).

I just migrated to Edge to on the m8 too. Like the others have stated with the 10GB shared data plan it actually is $0.01 cheaper a month for my line.

I wonder if we are allowed to unlock our bootloaders (S-OFF) under edge?

Of course you aren't officially allowed, but there is no reason not to. With S-Off you can easily remove any tampering notifications and put it back to S-On before turning it in.