Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 41,799 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cheap source found for genuine back covers

Tip us?

TangerineTractor
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Default Cheap source found for genuine back covers

Decided that it's not worth bothering with cases if you can get a new original genuine back cover for under six quid delivered...

http://www.kikatek.com/advanced_sear...+battery+doors

Arrived quickly, genuine part in original packaging.
(Happy to help!)

rugerredhawk
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineTractor View Post
Decided that it's not worth bothering with cases if you can get a new original genuine back cover for under six quid delivered...

http://www.kikatek.com/advanced_sear...+battery+doors

Arrived quickly, genuine part in original packaging.
For me the point of a case, would be something that would provent damage when the phone is dropped. Still good to know that factory covers are cheap and easy to come by.

TangerineTractor
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerredhawk View Post
For me the point of a case, would be something that would provent damage when the phone is dropped. Still good to know that factory covers are cheap and easy to come by.
I've tried an assortment of cases - hard, soft, gel... then when you take them off and use the phone without, you really notice how slim and comfortable and much more useable it is. And better looking.
We have gorilla glass. The only protection a case offers really is chipping/scratching the front edge of the sides. Gel- type ones that cover the buttons are a hindrance, and actually trap dust which can cause more long term damage.Clip on hard covers don;t cover the top or bottom front anyway, and they all somehow let dust in that marks the back. I think the replacement backs are the better solution aesthetically and aren't much of a compromise for damage prevention. The impact protection they give is virtually irrelevant, the only thing they protect is the back cover!
(Happy to help!)

rugerredhawk
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
I've tried an assortment of cases - hard, soft, gel... then when you take them off and use the phone without, you really notice how slim and comfortable and much more useable it is. And better looking.
We have gorilla glass. The only protection a case offers really is chipping/scratching the front edge of the sides. Gel- type ones that cover the buttons are a hindrance, and actually trap dust which can cause more long term damage.Clip on hard covers don;t cover the top or bottom front anyway, and they all somehow let dust in that marks the back. I think the replacement backs are the better solution aesthetically and aren't much of a compromise for damage prevention. The impact protection they give is virtually irrelevant, the only thing they protect is the back cover!
I am considerign the two piece design with the silicone inner layer surrounded by hard plastic....

http://www.amazon.com/Trident-Case-A...trident+moto+g

I think it's the only design that could really provide any drop protection. I think I can live with the bulk. I also dropped and broke my last phone after just a couple months with it so I'm a bit paranoid.

TangerineTractor
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerredhawk View Post
I am considerign the two piece design with the silicone inner layer surrounded by hard plastic....

http://www.amazon.com/Trident-Case-A...trident+moto+g

I think it's the only design that could really provide any drop protection. I think I can live with the bulk. I also dropped and broke my last phone after just a couple months with it so I'm a bit paranoid.
If that's what you think you need, that's your perogative. I certainly wouldn't be spending that much on a 100 phone! Ebay have similar for a fraction of the cost.
I really think that if you're dropping your phone onto a hard surface from more than a couple of feet, a case is going to make minimal difference.
(Happy to help!)

rugerredhawk
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
If that's what you think you need, that's your perogative. I certainly wouldn't be spending that much on a 100 phone! Ebay have similar for a fraction of the cost.
$19 shipped is about the cheapest going for that style case depending on color. Trust me I've explored eBay options exhaustively. All I seem to find in the hybrid design are either ones with huge kickstands on them, or ones that have terrible built in screen protectors for some reason.

wolfen69
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
The only protection a case offers really is chipping/scratching the front edge of the sides.
Really? I've seen people drop their phones and become completely unusable. And if not severely damaged, the screen was cracked. No thanks, I'll keep using my 2 piece case that will give 100% protection from normal drops. But hey, it's your phone, do as you wish.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Quote:
I really think that if you're dropping your phone onto a hard surface from more than a couple of feet, a case is going to make minimal difference.
Wrong. I used to throw my last phone 20 ft. up into the air onto concrete with absolutely no damage using a Ballistic case. It WILL protect a lot.

My Devices:

HTC G1
Nexus One
Nexus 4