Auto-charging when USB connected: Possible turn off?

4th April 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
Because all the time I connect USB it starts charging, and constantly charging and charging while phone turned on is really bad for battery health.

Sent from my awesome D5503 using xda app-developers app
4th April 2014, 08:11 PM   |  #2  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 528

1,295 posts
More
It is not bad for the battery. your battery is a Li-Ion .. you can charge it as many times as you wish w/o any impact on it.
4th April 2014, 08:36 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
I have to disagree, it does matter. Every time you start charging you damage battery a little(but just little). Plus, using phone while charging can cause wrong battery percentage stats(which doesn't really matter because you can calibrate) but it also damages battery. Not much, but doing it constantly after some time(months) battery life is shorter than it should be. (Also it is best to keep battery at 40-80%)

Sent from my D5503 using xda app-developers app
4th April 2014, 09:08 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 44

88 posts
Virtually everything the OP states is false or myth. Of course all batteries degrade over time, but the recommendation from manufacturers is for regular top-ups - and has been for a long time. From Sony:
Quote:

Improving battery performance

The following tips can help you improve battery performance:

- Charge your device often. This will not affect the lifetime of the battery.

If the OP would care to post some actual evidence to the contrary, maybe there would be a discussion to be had here.
4th April 2014, 09:11 PM   |  #5  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 528

1,295 posts
More
Are you saying that because you know that for a fact or because you heard or read about it from somewhere? I'm asking because in my profession of electrical engineering I have to know this things so I'm constantly trying to be up to date with the info in this domain. I'm telling you for sure that the LiIon batteries are aging every time when are charged or discharged but this is happening proportionally with the amount of charge. 0 to 100 in a single shot is almost as distructive as 5x 75 to 95. You have about 500 to 700 0 to 100% cycles guaranteed. Now you do the math.

// sent from my phone //
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread