[APP][2.1+] Javelin Browser - Adblock, KitKat Transparency, VPN, True Multi-tasking

Search This thread

javelinbrowser

Mar 29, 2014
Hi guys,

It is my opinion that mobile browsers on Android suck because most of them are focused on feature count over ACTUAL mobile usability -- With most mobile browsers to be just a desktop browser squeezed into a small screen.

So I built Javelin Browser, extending from the very great code-base of Lightning Browser. Like Lightning Browser, Javelin is light-weight, and super-fast.

But that is nowhere enough. To get the mobile part right, here’s what I did.

• MINIMAL DESIGN to be minimalistic, intuitive, and beautiful.
  • ADDED ADBLOCK natively, using the implementation of Adblock Plus with Easylist.
  • ONE-TOUCH gesture per action
  • READ EASILY with a reading mode just like Pocket app, Instapaper, Readability, etc.

Download now: Search for Javelin Browser on Google Play

Official Website: JavelinBrowser.com

My email address: hello@javelinbrowser.com

Whc2wlw.png

Click here for more images.

This is an on-going project. As of April 2014, this is my second month into this. I’m commited to the Javelin project for at least the next 2 years. Let me know what you think!

Next release:

• Fully featured Omnibox (It'll resemble that more of Firefox rather than Chrome - The suggestions will will lean slightly towards web-history/bookmarks over than web-search)
  • Bookmarks.. Chrome Bookmarks import for one. (I personally want this)

In the pipeline:

* Javelin on Android Wear
* Link Bubble: Oh man, I love the idea. But it is really just chatheads + preloading of URLs and showing an overlay of a webview. It lacks a full browser backend. So yes. I plan to implement some sort of Chathead + Preloading feature in the very near future.

----

Addendum (full disclosure):

- Javelin is a forked project of Lightning Browser, under Apache License 2.0. Here's the link to the repo: https://github.com/anthonycr/Lightning-Browser

- As is with the app permissions, the app does register your email addresses to identify you as a user, and from time-to-time, you might receive a newsletter that you can opt-out anytime.

Last edited by a moderator:

EdgardoSchiffer

Oct 15, 2013
OnePlus 9
Xiaomi 12T Pro
A little bug

I'm using the browser right now and there is a bug :rolleyes: when Full-screen Mode it's activated the navigation bar cuts a piece of screen, the bug is "fixed" when you open a website but everytime when the navigation bar appears this happens. By the way, great browser! :good:

Attachments

• 10013535_707940252583093_3629861804887193829_n.jpg
    10013535_707940252583093_3629861804887193829_n.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 3,041

Memoride

Sep 21, 2012
I really like Javelin's UI! I would like to see the app icon get changed because it looks a bit odd.

nimrodity

Sep 9, 2008
www.thedroideffect.com
I just tried it and here is what I think.
One gesture is all I see atm, that's not enough. Check the many naked browser offers, that's what I wanna see, similar for the bookmark panel access. Also performance has drastically to improve, it's way to laggy on my NEXUS 5.
But it seems like a solid start so far, I like the design, what I don't like os the heavy emphasize on going pro, seems like it wants you to buy something on almost any click, this should get toned down or it will turn people away too fast and easily.
I will keep an eye on this, I would really like this to become something like a nicer designed version of naked browser which is still unrivaled for me even though I doubt this browser will turn into something similar.

Reactions: android404

Mchasard

Dec 12, 2010
Just have a try... really class design someone compares to naked browser ... The size difference is due to adblock?

Envoyé de mon XT1032 en utilisant Tapatalk

Fiso

Dec 21, 2013
Beautiful, smooth and fast! Bro where have you been my entire life!

The only problem I have with the browser is the icon it looks out of place and odd compared to other icons, maybe a redesign would be nice also keep it circle cause circle icons are beautiful.

rafaelpc80

Jan 21, 2013
Beautiful, smooth and fast! Bro where have you been my entire life!

The only problem I have with the browser is the icon it looks out of place and odd compared to other icons, maybe a redesign would be nice also keep it circle cause circle icons are beautiful.

I agree. The Browser is great, but the icon is kind of simple

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
Homepage defaults to javelinbrowser.com - no matter if it's set to 'blank' or another site.

JPo_23

Dec 25, 2005
Every time I go to alter the size of an image I get a popup asking "what would you like to do with this image?" Can this be turned off somehow? I just want to zoom in or out. The other options should be accessed by a long press or something.

Last edited:

Snaipersky

Jan 7, 2014
If you'll accept a request, can we please rename our bookmarks? It's a little confusing when four of them say "Welcome!"

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

It is my opinion that mobile browsers on Android suck because most of them are focused on feature count over ACTUAL mobile usability -- With most mobile browsers to be just a desktop browser squeezed into a small screen.

So I built Javelin Browser, extending from the very great code-base of Lightning Browser. Like Lightning Browser, Javelin is light-weight, and super-fast.

But that is nowhere enough. To get the mobile part right, here’s what I did.

• MINIMAL DESIGN to be minimalistic, intuitive, and beautiful.
    • ADDED ADBLOCK natively, using the implementation of Adblock Plus with Easylist.
    • ONE-TOUCH gesture per action
    • READ EASILY with a reading mode just like Pocket app, Instapaper, Readability, etc.

Download now: Search for Javelin Browser on Google Play

Official Website: JavelinBrowser.com

My email address: hello@javelinbrowser.com

Whc2wlw.png

Click here for more images.

This is an on-going project. As of April 2014, this is my second month into this. I’m commited to the Javelin project for at least the next 2 years. Let me know what you think!

Next release:

• Fully featured Omnibox (It'll resemble that more of Firefox rather than Chrome - The suggestions will will lean slightly towards web-history/bookmarks over than web-search)
    • Bookmarks.. Chrome Bookmarks import for one. (I personally want this)

In the pipeline:

* Javelin on Android Wear
    * Link Bubble: Oh man, I love the idea. But it is really just chatheads + preloading of URLs and showing an overlay of a webview. It lacks a full browser backend. So yes. I plan to implement some sort of Chathead + Preloading feature in the very near future.

----

Addendum (full disclosure):

- Javelin is a forked project of Lightning Browser, under Apache License 2.0. Here's the link to the repo: https://github.com/anthonycr/Lightning-Browser

- As is with the app permissions, the app does register your email addresses to identify you as a user, and from time-to-time, you might receive a newsletter that you can opt-out anytime.
    Hi there,

can anyone tell me what's the difference between Javelin Incognito Browser and Javelin Browser? They both seems to have same function, size, ...and lack of information on play store about it, isn't good as well.

Also, I founf this under article of AndroidPolice...

Any strong arguments against this?

ad.

I really suggest developer to make a proper FAQ, because lack of information about this make me suspicious (and your short activity on XDA doesn't help... I mean, profile created march 2014... )

A lot of these issues are actually addressed.

Here's Javelin's privacy policy: http://javelinbrowser.com/privacy

Here's my comment on my single silly mistake on sending a single newsletter which backfired:http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...he_web_with_javelin_stack_link_bubble/chmiay7

Javelin is forked from Lightning Browser, no point rewriting an entire browser when I could take what is awesome and make it even better. That's the point of Open Source. If you go back afew pages, you can see Anthony posting here. He is the author of Lightning Browser, you can ask him what he thinks of this.

I think I've come far enough to prove that I don't "steal code". I mean, I wrote the entire Stack code myself. That is not part of Lightning Browser. As is with AdBlock, Proxy, UI, and all the different optimizations that I've added to Lightning. Why does nobody accuse me of stealing code for these features?

In fact, I've been running proxy services for Singapore and UK for more than a year now. See getgom.com / goawaycameron.co.uk .

Besides, my name is clear and out. I'm Steven Goh from Singapore. Google my history.

I have no idea why, but I'm constantly attacked by other browser devs. If you read the comment, it is _obvious_ that it is the dev of Frost Browser who is attacking me. Oh well. I can only continually prove my critics wrong by delivering a better product, again and again.

And of course, your support.
    Hello everyone, I have just pushed out v3.2.0.

In this release, the primary focus is on improving the reading mode by 10X, and I think it is achieved. Not just is the accuracy very much improved, but it also does images now :)

The secondary focus was taking Stack a step further as a REAL browser. This is why in this release, you can do a whole lot more with links opened in Stack. Like download files, long press links, etc.

Here's the changelog:

- (NEW) Open tabs/bookmarks in Stack
    - (NEW) Reading mode in stack
    - (NEW) Reading mode now extract images
    - (NEW) Guide to gestures (in settings)
    - (NEW) Downloads in Stack
    - (NEW) Handle long press with links/images in Stack
    - (IMPROVEMENT) 10x improvement to Reading mode's accuracy
    - (IMPROVEMENT) Select text in Reading mode
    - (IMPROVEMENT) More gestures in Stack
    - (IMPROVEMENT) Sharing links will now share page title as subject
    - (IMPROVEMENT) Stack has now better memory/cpu management
    2.1.0 released!

Ok I'll load up an emulator to test this :)

I just spent the entire day overhauling the Reading mode. Now it works KICK-BUTT!

Also fixed the bug where Adblock is being oversensitive and blocking some sites such as YouTube.

And I just added immersive mode with transparent navigation bar and status bar (KITKAT only). And damn. It looks GREAT!

I have quite a few more TODOs to complete, I hope to release something tonight or tomorrow!

PS: I need 10 posts to post links and images. But be sure I'll do that once I reach my requisite post count :)
    PSS: You guys are great! Keep the feedback coming!
    PSSS: I love the pie control too, if you get what I mean :) It'll come.

Just published a significant update (v2.1.0). Here's what's changed:

- New icon!
    - Reading mode now 10X better! (Overhauled engine)
    - (KitKat) Transparent navigation/status bars with Immersion mode
    - Smarter AdBlock (Some sites like YouTube were previously not working very well on AdBlock, now they are working perfect)
    - Haptic feedback on long press events
    - Bookmark now scrolls properly
    - Plenty of bug/crash/tiny additions/fixes/etc

It should be live in the store in 1 hour's time :)
    Version 3.0.8 published (Live in 1 hour's time). This is a bug-fix release.

(BUG FIXES)

- Stack now detect incoming calls and will minimize browsers accordingly
    - Downloads will no longer close tabs
    - Rotating the phone will now properly hide/unhide Stackheads
    - Javelin in landscape now show layout properly

(NEW)

- You can now open windows in background
    - You can now open links that open other apps