Third Party DIY Nexus 10 Internal Battery Replace & Review

Tip us?

Avuton Olrich
Old
(Last edited by Avuton Olrich; 24th February 2014 at 05:20 PM.) Reason: grammar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Battery Full Third Party DIY Nexus 10 Internal Battery Replace & Review

Apologies in advance, I could not post proper links for this review due to my low post count.

Background
I ordered a Nexus 10 on November 20th, 2012. Initially, I was pleased by the battery life (~6.5 hours). Probably a bit like the "Boiling Frog" metaphor, the battery life degraded and I didn't notice it. I began to notice the battery degradation recently when my tablet began doing the 0% battery shutdown at ~30%.

First thing I did was get on the phone with Google, to see if I could get them to warranty the battery. Being a couple of months out of warranty, I wasn't expecting it to work, but it couldn't hurt. Denied. So, I called Samsung. After two hours and 8 different technical support phone numbers, they couldn't recognize my tablet serial number. I'm guessing it was unrecognized (which is no excuse, by the way) because I bought it on the Google Play Store. Besides all that, they didn't recognize the product name, kept calling it strange stuff like Nexus 10.1 or Nexus Note. They told me they would research and return my call at a later time.

My Nexus 10 is a daily driver with a minimum of 3 hours of use a day and often over 6. After impatiently waiting a few days, I began to panic. I began to believe that I had paid ~$500 for a device that, after a few more cells died, was going to be an expensive brick. I did some research and could find NO reviews on the NewPower99 battery kit, and since I felt that my options were relatively few, I decided to take the plunge.

Kit Contents and Cost
Ordered from Amazon for $75.41 (shipping and taxes included)

1 Cameron Sino 9000 mAh 33.3Wh Lithium-Polymer Battery Pack
One tiny screw screwdriver
Two tiny plastic prying tools
One plastic video disk (Not sure what it does, they special players can spin it fast and a video will play(!!??))

The Replacement and Pitfalls
Rather than using the included plastic video disk, I searched YouTube until I found the video: NewPower99 by NewLife2OldStuff. It's a great primer for this battery replacement, but there are a few parts where the disassembler's chubby fingers get in the way of disconnecting connectors. I suggest watching a few other Nexus 10 teardown videos prior to the actual teardown.

Prior to this, I had not attempted any mobile device disassembly/assembly. I did break a little insulation on the video card connector on the main board but this is due to me only watching the NewPower99 video and missing a detail (pull the display cable rather than flip the connector). Also due to how delicate the internals are, I did not push the display connector in far enough, which led to the display power being spotty. So, I had to redisassemble the tablet a few days later and reconnect it. Had I done more research and been a bit more patient, I'm sure the replacement would have been flawless.

The aftermath
My tablet has not yet exploded. As a matter of fact, one week in, I'm amazed. I've fell back in love with my tablet. Since the battery replacement, I usually don't need to charge until the end of the day. I run a conservative brightness on the display and, of course, that helps. Also, while I've done no metrics, I believe I've seen an unintended improvement: the charge time has improved. It was not unusual for me to plugin during sleep and still not have a full charge in the morning, which I haven't seen happen since battery replacement.

At a later time, I intend to respond to this post with an unscientific update on the battery's life. If the battery life stays relatively the same, I wouldn't really mind yearly replacement at this battery's warranty limitation and probably expected minimum life. Small price to pay for great battery life and a very underrated tablet.

Also, Samsung did, finally, return my support call a few days ago but I never called back. Don't call me, I'll call you .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140218_184509.jpg
Views:	5138
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	2598133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140218_184538.jpg
Views:	5216
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	2598140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140218_184753.jpg
Views:	4444
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	2598141  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Avuton Olrich For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Avuton Olrich
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Light Statistics (screenshots below)

~11:46 battery time
~6:45 display on time (top battery user)
~1:45 RetroArch (runner up top battery user)

These aren't really shabby for this tablet. Non-scientifically: the display was at ~25% brightness (in-house usage) >95% of the time, and never went below that. ~3-5% of the time the display was 100% (outdoors).

Program usage was an ordinary day of tablet use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-25-20-04-32.png
Views:	157
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	2600920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-25-20-04-37.png
Views:	138
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	2600921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-25-20-04-43.png
Views:	133
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	2600922  
The Following User Says Thank You to Avuton Olrich For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wingman520
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Not going to lie this is quite an informative post since the battery went bad over the course of a year later... I don't use my tablet as much as I first used to, but with all this android tech talk and new phones coming out at this time I use it more than I normally have (and also for the room 2 love that game!). I will definitely subscribe to this post so I have it handy if/when my battery starts doing the same thing as well in due time.
Current Daily Driver - Galaxy Nexus
Retired Devices - Droid Eris, HTC Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wingman520 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

johno86
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Thanks for this thread. My tablet has been going to 0% when it reaches 15%. So I've been looking to get a replacement battery. Cheers mate.
::Galaxy S4::
::Google Nexus 10::
The Following User Says Thank You to johno86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PaisanNYC
Old
Thanks Meter 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avuton Olrich View Post
Besides all that, they didn't recognize the product name, kept calling it strange stuff like Nexus 10.1 or Nexus Note.
Next time, give them the model #. Samsung GT-P8110