Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,858 Members 36,825 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC One M8 GPE won't boot to custom recovery

Tip us?

scbash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] HTC One M8 GPE won't boot to custom recovery

Hi all-

I just received my HTC One M8 Google Play Edition today. I successfully unlocked the bootloader (I see the open padlock every time it boots), but I'm running into trouble with TWRP. I downloaded TWRP 2.7.0.3 from this thread. Since I'd like to get OTA updates in the future, I am attempting to boot (not flash!) TWRP using
Code:
$ ./adb reboot bootloader
$ ./fastboot boot ~/Downloads/openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.3-m8_ul_ca.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  1.251s]
booting...
OKAY [  0.001s]
finished. total time: 1.252s
$
but after the second command, the phone just reboots to the normal system. I have attempted renaming TWRP to recovery.img, but that didn't change the behavior. I have tried a factory reset, and that didn't change the behavior. If I attempt to manually enter recovery from HBoot, I get the dead android logo.

I really just want to flash SuperSU.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stephen

Tikerz
Old
Thanks Meter 282
TWRP doesn't work on GPe for some reason. Use Philz CWM.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
LG G3
LG G Watch
LG G Pad 7.0 LTE

scbash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
TWRP doesn't work on GPe for some reason. Use Philz CWM.
I wondered about that, but for some reason I didn't find the Philz m8 thread until you mentioned it. So I downloaded CWM from this thread and had the exact same experience...

Other thoughts?

Thanks!
Stephen

scbash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
A little concerned that I wasn't able to boot either TWRP or CWM, and (while I don't think I'd flashed anything) just going into HBoot and selecting recovery also didn't work (dead Android icon), I grabbed the 4.4.2 firmware from here and flashed the stock recovery.

After flashing the stock recovery I had the *TAMPERED* label in HBoot (which surprised me a little because I assumed stock would 100% match what was already there). Now if I selected Recovery from HBoot I would get a temporary flash of "This image is for development use only (etc.)..." and then end up back in HBoot. I tried once or twice more to just boot CWM and still no luck. So finally I flashed CWM, installed SuperSU, and then flashed back to stock. I guess I'll find out when the first OTA rolls around if the system is still "stock" enough.

Thanks,
Stephen

suprtrukr425
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbash View Post
Hi all-

I just received my HTC One M8 Google Play Edition today. I successfully unlocked the bootloader (I see the open padlock every time it boots), but I'm running into trouble with TWRP. I downloaded TWRP 2.7.0.3 from this thread. Since I'd like to get OTA updates in the future, I am attempting to boot (not flash!) TWRP using
Code:
$ ./adb reboot bootloader
$ ./fastboot boot ~/Downloads/openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.3-m8_ul_ca.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  1.251s]
booting...
OKAY [  0.001s]
finished. total time: 1.252s
$
but after the second command, the phone just reboots to the normal system. I have attempted renaming TWRP to recovery.img, but that didn't change the behavior. I have tried a factory reset, and that didn't change the behavior. If I attempt to manually enter recovery from HBoot, I get the dead android logo.

I really just want to flash SuperSU.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stephen
I might be wrong, but isn't the command "fastboot boot recovery recovery.img" whereas "recovery.img" would be the path to the recovery you want to boot to without flashing? If I'm not mistaken, "fastboot boot" would boot the phone up to the system.
AT&T HTC One (M8) - unlocked/s-off/rooted stock
Asus Transformer TF701T - unlocked/rooted stock

scbash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprtrukr425 View Post
I might be wrong, but isn't the command "fastboot boot recovery recovery.img" whereas "recovery.img" would be the path to the recovery you want to boot to without flashing? If I'm not mistaken, "fastboot boot" would boot the phone up to the system.
When I did it with my wife's Nexus 5, it was "fastboot boot <image>" (and there it worked without a hitch). In the middle of other things last night I did try that and got "no such file: recovery". So I'm still open to user error, but at least that particular change didn't fix my problem...

Thanks,
Stephen

rbouza1
Old
Thanks Meter 49

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbash View Post
When I did it with my wife's Nexus 5, it was "fastboot boot <image>" (and there it worked without a hitch). In the middle of other things last night I did try that and got "no such file: recovery". So I'm still open to user error, but at least that particular change didn't fix my problem...

Thanks,
Stephen
download the stock revovery listed here (in development).install cwm, root, and redo your stock recovery via fastboot

scbash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbouza1 View Post
download the stock revovery listed here (in development).install cwm, root, and redo your stock recovery via fastboot
Yup, that's what I ended up doing earlier this afternoon. Thanks though.

Stephen

aaronc_98
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Thus may be a dumb question but how do we root the gpe edition. I tried with weak sauce but it failed. Thanks

aaronc_98
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc_98 View Post
Thus may be a dumb question but how do we root the gpe edition. I tried with weak sauce but it failed. Thanks

I figured it out- http://howtorootmobile.com/root-htc-...-install-twrp/

thanks,