Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,635 Members 38,706 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Restoring 4.3 ROM with 4.4.2 bootloader

Tip us?

Apo11on
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 109
Question [Q] Restoring 4.3 ROM with 4.4.2 bootloader

I read some worrisome posts that once you upgrade the bootloader to 4.4.2 you cannot go back. I'm currently running fully functional 4.3 rom and have nandroid backup of it, where everything is working. I'd like to try to upgrade to KitKat rom, but if things don't go well for whatever reason - I'd like to have the security of knowing I can restore the nandroid of my working 4.3 rom. Based on what I read it may not be possible. My nandroid backup has all partitions in it, including boot and recovery (twrp 2.6.3.8). Can anyone confirm or deny if I'm on 4.4 rom with 4.4.2 bootloader, running twrp 2.7 - will I be able to restore my 4.3 nandroid, if needed?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N900T
Rom: WiCKED KitKat V1.1
Kernel: Stock 3.4.0
Recovery: TWRP V2.7.0.0
Baseband: N900TUVUCNB4
MicroSDXC: SanDisk Ultra 128GB
Battery: Stock 3200mAh Li-ion

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900
Rom: Stock rooted
Kernel: 3.4.39 Stock
Build: KOT49H.P900UEU1ANC5
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.2
MicroSDXC: SanDisk Ultra 128GB

FFTony
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo11on View Post
I read some worrisome posts that once you upgrade the bootloader to 4.4.2 you cannot go back. I'm currently running fully functional 4.3 rom and have nandroid backup of it, where everything is working. I'd like to try to upgrade to KitKat rom, but if things don't go well for whatever reason - I'd like to have the security of knowing I can restore the nandroid of my working 4.3 rom. Based on what I read it may not be possible. My nandroid backup has all partitions in it, including boot and recovery (twrp 2.6.3.8). Can anyone confirm or deny if I'm on 4.4 rom with 4.4.2 bootloader, running twrp 2.7 - will I be able to restore my 4.3 nandroid, if needed?
From everything that I have read the answer is no. It does not matter that you have a backup of the 4.3 bootloader. When you flash the 4.4 bootloader it trips a qfuse (I am not to familiar with qfuse, but that is what everyone is saying) and at that point you cannot revert to the old bootloader.

SM-N900T: Powered by X-Note V13/CivZ-SnapKat 2.1
SM-N900T Powered by X-Note V13/CivZ-SnapKat 2.1
The Following User Says Thank You to FFTony For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]