[Q] Restoring 4.3 ROM with 4.4.2 bootloader

OP Apo11on

5th April 2014, 02:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego, CA
Thanks Meter: 144

1,253 posts
More
I read some worrisome posts that once you upgrade the bootloader to 4.4.2 you cannot go back. I'm currently running fully functional 4.3 rom and have nandroid backup of it, where everything is working. I'd like to try to upgrade to KitKat rom, but if things don't go well for whatever reason - I'd like to have the security of knowing I can restore the nandroid of my working 4.3 rom. Based on what I read it may not be possible. My nandroid backup has all partitions in it, including boot and recovery (twrp 2.6.3.8). Can anyone confirm or deny if I'm on 4.4 rom with 4.4.2 bootloader, running twrp 2.7 - will I be able to restore my 4.3 nandroid, if needed?
5th April 2014, 05:06 AM   |  #2  
St Louis
Thanks Meter: 20

73 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo11on

I read some worrisome posts that once you upgrade the bootloader to 4.4.2 you cannot go back. I'm currently running fully functional 4.3 rom and have nandroid backup of it, where everything is working. I'd like to try to upgrade to KitKat rom, but if things don't go well for whatever reason - I'd like to have the security of knowing I can restore the nandroid of my working 4.3 rom. Based on what I read it may not be possible. My nandroid backup has all partitions in it, including boot and recovery (twrp 2.6.3.8). Can anyone confirm or deny if I'm on 4.4 rom with 4.4.2 bootloader, running twrp 2.7 - will I be able to restore my 4.3 nandroid, if needed?

From everything that I have read the answer is no. It does not matter that you have a backup of the 4.3 bootloader. When you flash the 4.4 bootloader it trips a qfuse (I am not to familiar with qfuse, but that is what everyone is saying) and at that point you cannot revert to the old bootloader.

SM-N900T: Powered by X-Note V13/CivZ-SnapKat 2.1
The Following User Says Thank You to FFTony For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread