Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Full Wipe] Stock recovery vs Custom recovery

OP pakalrtb

4th April 2014, 06:15 AM   |  #1  
pakalrtb's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Roatan - Bay Islands
Thanks Meter: 47
 
399 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
Is it correct that a full wipe with stock recovery will wipe the internal card as well, while the full wipe made with a custom recovery will not?
4th April 2014, 07:26 AM   |  #2  
Killberty's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 445
 
1,237 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
More
Yep, had to experience that myslef
Luckyly i had a one week old backup of my internal sd

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
4th April 2014, 07:42 AM   |  #3  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Corner of the earth
Thanks Meter: 1,095
 
2,100 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakalrtb

Is it correct that a full wipe with stock recovery will wipe the internal card as well, while the full wipe made with a custom recovery will not?

i wiped data on stock recovery and wiped data on cwm, all gone
hehehe. only folders are being left with empty files in it
The Following User Says Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th April 2014, 08:36 AM   |  #4  
knuckle03's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 106
 
419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
On stock, it does wiped all the content on internal sd but on a custom cwm it depends. Im using chenglu's and it doesn't wiped my internal sd when doing a restore facotry reset on cwm.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2
4th April 2014, 08:37 AM   |  #5  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Corner of the earth
Thanks Meter: 1,095
 
2,100 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle03

On stock, it does wiped all the content on internal sd but on a custom cwm it depends. Im using chenglu's and it doesn't wiped my internal sd when doing a restore facotry reset on cwm.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Weird. I m using chenglu. I wipe data and all gone.

Sent from N7105, DN3 with AGNi kernel.
The Following User Says Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th April 2014, 11:46 PM   |  #6  
pakalrtb's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Roatan - Bay Islands
Thanks Meter: 47
 
399 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
What about the aroma installer ? Does it wipe the ext sd card ?
5th April 2014, 02:09 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 215
 
704 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakalrtb

What about the aroma installer ? Does it wipe the ext sd card ?

Well your internal storage is mounted at data/media so if you format data, i can only assume that media will go with it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Last edited by celderic; 5th April 2014 at 03:17 AM.
5th April 2014, 06:19 AM   |  #8  
Khizar's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7,954
 
6,976 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by antique_sonic

Weird. I m using chenglu. I wipe data and all gone.

Sent from N7105, DN3 with AGNi kernel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antique_sonic

i wiped data on stock recovery and wiped data on cwm, all gone
hehehe. only folders are being left with empty files in it

That Is weird indeed. Custom recoveries don't/shouldn't wipe internal sdcard while wiping data. Twrp used to but it doesn't anymore. And cwm has never wiped it AFAIK.




Quote:
Originally Posted by pakalrtb

What about the aroma installer ? Does it wipe the ext sd card ?

No. Most of the roms updater scripts are set wipe system partition and/or data and some have the option in aroma for the users to choose. But internal/external sdcards don't get wiped.




Quote:
Originally Posted by celderic

Well your internal storage is mounted at data/media so if you format data, i can only assume that media will go with it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

That is true for stock recovery but custome recoveries make sure to not wipe the contents of data/media.

Sent From My SM-N9005 To All You Wonder Nobodies!!
Last edited by Khizar; 5th April 2014 at 06:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Khizar For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th April 2014, 01:23 PM   |  #9  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Corner of the earth
Thanks Meter: 1,095
 
2,100 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khizar

That Is weird indeed. Custom recoveries don't/shouldn't wipe internal sdcard while wiping data. Twrp used to but it doesn't anymore. And cwm has never wiped it AFAIK.






No. Most of the roms updater scripts are set wipe system partition and/or data and some have the option in aroma for the users to choose. But internal/external sdcards don't get wiped.






That is true for stock recovery but custome recoveries make sure to not wipe the contents of data/media.

Sent From My SM-N9005 To All You Wonder Nobodies!!

I just wipe again.
All gone except the folders. Folders still there, but the file gone. Hahihehohehahiho. Now setting back again. Lol.

Sent from N7105, DN3 with AGNi kernel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes