Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,008 Members 51,956 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Developer Edition vs Unlocked

Tip us?
 
xsk8er9000
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Nov 2011
Question [Q] Developer Edition vs Unlocked

This is going to be a fairly stupid question, and it seems that similar questions have been asked but never really fully answered.

I will be purchasing the new HTC One M8 and I cant understand the difference between the unlocked and developer edition. I am aware that the developer edition has an unlocked bootloader, but couldn't I just get the unlocked variant bootloader unlocked from HTCDev.com?

If that is the only difference, it seems they wouldn't make two different variants and just direct developers and those who wish to modify their phones software to HTCdev.com. I feel like there has to be some other difference.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
 
onthezone
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 45
Posts: 285
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsk8er9000 View Post
This is going to be a fairly stupid question, and it seems that similar questions have been asked but never really fully answered.

I will be purchasing the new HTC One M8 and I cant understand the difference between the unlocked and developer edition. I am aware that the developer edition has an unlocked bootloader, but couldn't I just get the unlocked variant bootloader unlocked from HTCDev.com?

If that is the only difference, it seems they wouldn't make two different variants and just direct developers and those who wish to modify their phones software to HTCdev.com. I feel like there has to be some other difference.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
With the m7 the only difference was the bootloader was unlocked from factory and for us type people that like to mess with there phones but unlock variant of the phone is for the people that are happy with the software and have a secure phone with bootloader locked. Now that being said about the m7, I'm assuming the m8 is going to be the same.

Also yes you can unlock the bootloader with the unlock phone. There might be a difference in the warranty also....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to onthezone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jtc276
Old
#3  
jtc276's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 166
Posts: 734
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ripley, WV
Developer comes bootloader unlocked with a warranty. Unlocked comes locked and, if you choose to unlock the bootloader, you lose the warranty.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Current Devices:
HTC One M8 - Daily Driver
iPad Mini Retina - Main Tablet

Nexus 7 (2013) - Backup/Gaming Tablet
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jtc276 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
xsk8er9000
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtc276 View Post
Developer comes bootloader unlocked with a warranty. Unlocked comes locked and, if you choose to unlock the bootloader, you lose the warranty.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This is along the lines of what I was figuring, but even when you go to HTCdev.com It says if you unlock it that you MAY lose your warranty if any damage was deemed related to you doing so. So if I mess up the phone on the dev edition it doesnt matter?
 
3alaawi
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 86
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sitrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsk8er9000 View Post
This is along the lines of what I was figuring, but even when you go to HTCdev.com It says if you unlock it that you MAY lose your warranty if any damage was deemed related to you doing so. So if I mess up the phone on the dev edition it doesnt matter?
On the dev edition you won't need to go to htcdev. You go through htcdev to unlock the bootloader, on the dev edition the bootloader is already unlocked.

On the unlocked version, they mean a different thing by unlocked. I'm guessing it is network unlocked (sim-free), whereas the developer is bootloader unlocked, two separate things.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3alaawi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
xsk8er9000
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3alaawi View Post
On the dev edition you won't need to go to htcdev. You go through htcdev to unlock the bootloader, on the dev edition the bootloader is already unlocked.

On the unlocked version, they mean a different thing by unlocked. I'm guessing it is network unlocked (sim-free), whereas the developer is bootloader unlocked, two separate things.
I understand the difference of what is being unlocked. Just seems silly to me to make the developer edition if you can just take the carrier unlocked version of the phone and unlock the bootloader anyway.
 
3alaawi
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 86
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sitrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsk8er9000 View Post
I understand the difference of what is being unlocked. Just seems silly to me to make the developer edition if you can just take the carrier unlocked version of the phone and unlock the bootloader anyway.
You know what, you got me, htc sell both the unlocked and developer version for $700 on their website. If its a case of warranty not being voided for the developer edition, it would make no sense for anyone to buy the unlocked at the same price. And seeing as htcdev provides a simple enough guide for any noob to unlock his bootloader I don't see why a skilled "developer" would need to buy a developer version.

I'm curious now.
 
charlieb620
Old
#8  
charlieb620's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1928
Posts: 13,262
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtc276 View Post
Developer comes bootloader unlocked with a warranty. Unlocked comes locked and, if you choose to unlock the bootloader, you lose the warranty.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Close the thread. You have the answer to your question.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
 
daorderdillon
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 605
Posts: 2,995
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: nassau

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieb620 View Post
Close the thread. You have the answer to your question.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Sup Charlie

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
CURRENTLY USING

HTC ONE M8



PAST DEVICES

HTC BUTTERFLY S 901S

HTC BUTTERFLY X920D

HTC AMAZE

HTC WILDFIRE S
 
xsk8er9000
Old
#10  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtc276 View Post
Developer comes bootloader unlocked with a warranty. Unlocked comes locked and, if you choose to unlock the bootloader, you lose the warranty.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Confirmed with HTC today that this is pretty much it. The rep said that if you get the Carrier Unlocked edition and unlock the bootloader from HTCdev.com that you may not be eligible for your warranty if it was deemed that damage was related to you doing so. Where as the developer edition keeps the warranty as it comes bootloader unlocked from the factory.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes