Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,261 Members 37,593 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Formatted AT&T GS4 with stock MDL firmware, still shows custom ROM?

Tip us?
 
10 Gauge
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Nov 2013
Question [Q] Formatted AT&T GS4 with stock MDL firmware, still shows custom ROM?

So I reverted from CM11 back to the stock AT&T MDL package through Odin on my wifes phone as she was having problems with CM dropping service.

Anyhow, the revert went fine and the phone is back on MDL and works perfectly.

The only thing that is bothering me is that when the phone boots it still shows the "Samsung Custom" screen which is odd to me since I went back to the stock firmware. It's also keeping the phone from updating to the latest official AT&T software.

How can I get this thing ALL the way back to stock?
 
norbarb
Old
#2  
norbarb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 724
Posts: 1,403
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Crest Hill

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Gauge View Post
So I reverted from CM11 back to the stock AT&T MDL package through Odin on my wifes phone as she was having problems with CM dropping service.

Anyhow, the revert went fine and the phone is back on MDL and works perfectly.

The only thing that is bothering me is that when the phone boots it still shows the "Samsung Custom" screen which is odd to me since I went back to the stock firmware. It's also keeping the phone from updating to the latest official AT&T software.

How can I get this thing ALL the way back to stock?
Try use kies to restore to bone stock. It should work on MDL firmware : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1984717
 
scott14719
Old
#3  
scott14719's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 813
Posts: 2,064
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Gauge View Post
So I reverted from CM11 back to the stock AT&T MDL package through Odin on my wifes phone as she was having problems with CM dropping service.

Anyhow, the revert went fine and the phone is back on MDL and works perfectly.

The only thing that is bothering me is that when the phone boots it still shows the "Samsung Custom" screen which is odd to me since I went back to the stock firmware. It's also keeping the phone from updating to the latest official AT&T software.

How can I get this thing ALL the way back to stock?
There are several reasons you could be getting "custom". Sometimes, all it takes is a few reboots for it to go away, sometimes it's something on your SD card that triggers it. Try taking out your SD card and rebooting a few times before you try anything else to see if it still shows custom or not.
.
.
SGH-I337 (AT&T) 32GB
P-ROM (1st Gen.), De-Odexed, AMDL
Rooted
Auto-LOKI OUDHS CWM


Make sure you read and understand the "PINNED" threads in the "General" and "Q & A" sections of the AT&T S4 forum BEFORE you ask for help. Use the forum's "search" function to find posts with additional information. You should not expect others to help you if you haven't tried to help yourself first. Also, read, understand, and follow the "XDA" rules.
 
Red_81
Old
#4  
Red_81's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 625
Posts: 1,135
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St.Louis Metro

 
DONATE TO ME
Don't use kies unless you want the newer bootloader. You could always flash one of the tw based roms and see if that works better for her. I currently use ShoStock and it is very stable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
ADB Portable
If you like the files please donate

Forum Rule #10: Help others if you can.

Currently Running: ShoStock on my S4
 
norbarb
Old
(Last edited by norbarb; 5th April 2014 at 04:31 PM.)
#5  
norbarb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 724
Posts: 1,403
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Crest Hill

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_81 View Post
Don't use kies unless you want the newer bootloader. You could always flash one of the tw based roms and see if that works better for her. I currently use ShoStock and it is very stable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Kies don't have any bootloader over MDL on at&t phones. No other firmware then MDL are available on kies for At&t models of Samsung galaxy S4. So you will not update bootloader to newer.
 
10 Gauge
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_81 View Post
Don't use kies unless you want the newer bootloader. You could always flash one of the tw based roms and see if that works better for her. I currently use ShoStock and it is very stable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
So Kies will take care of it then. At this point not too worried about the phone being on the newer locked bootloader. It's almost up for its AT&T Next upgrade anyhow.

Can you suggest a good backup program that will back up literally everything on the phone to include custom ring tones and who they are assigned to in the address book, etc. I hate having to set her phone back up every time I have to wipe it.

Thanks for your input guys.
 
Red_81
Old
#7  
Red_81's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 625
Posts: 1,135
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St.Louis Metro

 
DONATE TO ME
Good to know about kies. I haven't used it since my S2. I would recommend keeping the older bootloader just for the resell value.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
ADB Portable
If you like the files please donate

Forum Rule #10: Help others if you can.

Currently Running: ShoStock on my S4
 
rugmankc
Old
(Last edited by rugmankc; 5th April 2014 at 06:06 PM.)
#8  
rugmankc's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,805
Posts: 7,487
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Gauge View Post
So Kies will take care of it then. At this point not too worried about the phone being on the newer locked bootloader. It's almost up for its AT&T Next upgrade anyhow.

Can you suggest a good backup program that will back up literally everything on the phone to include custom ring tones and who they are assigned to in the address book, etc. I hate having to set her phone back up every time I have to wipe it.

Thanks for your input guys.
You could try MyBackUp Pro,TB, or Koush's back up app--forget name--not sure if they do ringtones though

Only thing I know for sure is a nandroid--

Try a Google some other apps are mentioned--like Back Up My Tones Premium
ATT Samsung Galaxy S4/Rooted/TWRP 2.5.0.2/Wanam Xposed, or Gravity Box/Long Time MultiRom Flasher/Waiting For The Note 4--The Game Changer









Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes