Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,988 Members 44,665 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SCH-S960L Straight Talk soft brick help

Tip us?

kelleidoscope
Old
(Last edited by kelleidoscope; 11th February 2014 at 04:20 AM.) Reason: added more detail
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] SCH-S960L Straight Talk soft brick help

I have a straight talk SCH-S960L that I was attempting to upgrade to android version 4.2.2 from 4.1. I put the phone into download mode, entered ODIN, and attempted the upgrade. It presented me with a FAIL! message. I wanted to back out. I got up and went to the restroom, while I was gone my younger sister unplugged my phone and took the battery out. (!!!!!!!) In a state of panic I jammed the battery back in,now the phone presents me with a message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue, select recovery mode in Kies and try again." The upper left corner also reads "ODIN MODE. and UNSUPPORTED DEV TYPE in red letters. I attempted to use Kies to recover, but Kies does not want to connect to my phone (technically says device not responding). I have read that reinstalling the firmware is the best way to go, but I can't seem to be able to find firmware for straight talk phones. I hear Sprint works equally as well, but for fear of bricking it hard, I don't want to screw with it anymore until I know for sure what to do. Can anyone offer me any help please?

pellet
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleidoscope View Post
I have a straight talk SCH-S960L that I was attempting to upgrade to android version 4.2.2 from 4.1. I put the phone into download mode, entered ODIN, and attempted the upgrade. It presented me with a FAIL! message. I wanted to back out. I got up and went to the restroom, while I was gone my younger sister unplugged my phone and took the battery out. (!!!!!!!) In a state of panic I jammed the battery back in,now the phone presents me with a message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue, select recovery mode in Kies and try again." The upper left corner also reads "ODIN MODE. and UNSUPPORTED DEV TYPE in red letters. I attempted to use Kies to recover, but Kies does not want to connect to my phone (technically says device not responding). I have read that reinstalling the firmware is the best way to go, but I can't seem to be able to find firmware for straight talk phones. I hear Sprint works equally as well, but for fear of bricking it hard, I don't want to screw with it anymore until I know for sure what to do. Can anyone offer me any help please?
Where did you get the 4.2.2 update file from? My current version is 4.1.3 and when I attempt to update I get no update available. If you were willing to flash to a non stock ROM before, why not try now?