Tip us?

Freddy_2110
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Angry [Project] Colored Nexus X

Hello everyone,
First of all i want to give you some informations about the reason for this project:
When the Nexus 4 has been leaked in 2012 there were a lot of rumors about the Nexus branding on the back, many people wanted the X to be colored, but Google decided not to do it.
Here's an example what it could have looked like:

I owned a Nexus 4 for 1 month, until it was stolen
After a while without a Nexus device, i decided to get a Nexus 10 and Nexus 5 in 32GB.
In another thread i've seen a picture of a Nexus 5 with a colored X on the back, i really wanted to know how to get this done.

So i tried many things out to make the colored X possible.. without any succes.
Here are some sample pictures of my ideas:

It has failed because the lettering is very small and you have to work very precisely , which is not possible for a hobbyist.
By chance I looked at the back of my Nexus Tablets 10 and got another idea.
The lettering on the tablet is engraved and its possible to make the X colored with special painting, found on the internet.
I have a lot taped , sanded , degreased and then applied the paint.

Overall, it took me 4 hours of work , but the result was worth it I think.
Opinions ?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freddy_2110 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

abdel12345
Old
Thanks Meter 1052
Looks good but for me it wouldn't be worth it because I always have it in a case since I'm always taking it places

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Devices: Nexus 10 and Verizon LG G2

mazubo
Old
Thanks Meter 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_2110 View Post
Hello everyone,
First of all i want to give you some informations about the reason for this project:
When the Nexus 4 has been leaked in 2012 there were a lot of rumors about the Nexus branding on the back, many people wanted the X to be colored, but Google decided not to do it.
Here's an example what it could have looked like:

I owned a Nexus 4 for 1 month, until it was stolen
After a while without a Nexus device, i decided to get a Nexus 10 and Nexus 5 in 32GB.
In another thread i've seen a picture of a Nexus 5 with a colored X on the back, i really wanted to know how to get this done.

So i tried many things out to make the colored X possible.. without any succes.
Here are some sample pictures of my ideas:

It has failed because the lettering is very small and you have to work very precisely , which is not possible for a hobbyist.
By chance I looked at the back of my Nexus Tablets 10 and got another idea.
The lettering on the tablet is engraved and its possible to make the X colored with special painting, found on the internet.
I have a lot taped , sanded , degreased and then applied the paint.

Overall, it took me 4 hours of work , but the result was worth it I think.
Opinions ?
Looks great! Very nice!

PaisanNYC
Old
Thanks Meter 288
looks horrible. Not OEM quality at all. I'm not being mean. Its just an opinion.

ndnguyen
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaisanNYC View Post
looks horrible. Not OEM quality at all. I'm not being mean. Its just an opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndnguyen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

johno86
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Good idea poor execution. Have you thought about re-doing the process? Seems like you could use a tutorial video on hand-painting crafts. Even with the poor lighting and angle we can see the severe imperfections from a, what seems to be, rushed paint job. I can't imagine it took you 4 hours to paint the X with such poor results.

It can look good if done properly, yes, but for the sake of having color I would say it does not look good I this case.

Just posting my honest opinion.
::Galaxy S4::
::Google Nexus 10::

p0izn
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Thanks for sharing. Great idea, but imho you can't get OEM quality without special technology of painting