Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,690 Members 47,533 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Restore to Stock and Root Methods

Tip us?

roofus1218
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Restore to Stock and Root Methods

Hi everyone.

I recently got a used Note 2. I've been doing a bit of reading in this section and just wanted to confirm a couple of things.

First off my phone's description:
Carrier: Sprint
Model Number: SPH-L900
Android Version: 4.3
Baseband Version: L900VPUBMK4
Kernel Version: 3.0.31-2106854 se.infra@R0301-10 #1 Mon Nov 11 20:33:03 KST 2013
Build Number: JSS15J.L900VPUBMK4
SE for Android Status: Enforcing SEPF_SPH-L900_4.3_0010
Hardware Version: L900.09

(1) Even though the phone came wiped of all previous data I would like to do a factory reset. Billard412's guide is mentioned several times. Is this the option to go with for my phone?

(2) The phone is not rooted at the moment. Should I use the CF-Auto Root method by Chainfire first and then proceed to install TWRP and then restore back to stock using Billard412's guide?

Thanks for your help in advance.

jlmancuso
Old
Thanks Meter 3912

DONATE TO ME
To start with you have the 100% KNOX on your phone so Billard412's back to stock will be the option you want to use.

You will need to download
TWRP recovery (recommended because billards zip works best with it)
Billards back to stock mc2 with counter reset
The root file located in billards thread

Prep steps
Backup everything you want from your internal sdcard (this will get wiped)
place billards rom and root files on your external sdcard

1. boot phone into download mode
2. use odin to flash twrp recovery (any version but 2.7) make sure you uncheck the reboot option in odin
3. once finished remove cable and battery
4. hold the recovery boot key sequence (vol up, home, and power keys) then insert battery (while holding keys)
5. once in recovery wipe everything
6. flash billards rom (do not wipe anything else after this step)
7. flash the root file
8. reboot and dont get worry when things get funky this is normal
9. the phone will take a bit to boot
10. now you have stock mc2 with root
11. install your recovery of choice (if flashing touchwiz 4.3 or aosp 4.4 roms use Philz 6.07.9) this can be done with odin or an image flashing app
12. now you can flash whatever rom you want

FYI -- when going from touchwiz 4.1x to 4.3 or aosp 4.4 you should format your internal sdcard. The newer roms use a different location for your internal sdcard and without proper formatting you will end up with issues (mostly random reboots and apps force closing) -- Same goes if you go from 4.3 TW/aosp 4.4 to 4.1x TW/4.3 or lower aosp

Jlmancuso

HTC Og Evo, Evo 3d, kyocera torque and Note II all cloned on cricKet

roofus1218
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
jlmancuso, thanks for the reply. Couple of things to clarify from your post:

- Regarding the Prep steps.
- I don't have anything on this phone yet so I don't think I need to back anything up. Even if if did the "Android system recovery <3e>" recovery menu does not have an option to back anything up

- Regarding using Odin to flash TWRP
- The 2.7 version to avoid is for TWRP correct? I went to TWRP's Sprint Note 2 page and I cannot seem to find a different version. Where should I get the version of TWRP that actually works?
- From the XDA page on Odin, which version should I use 3.09 or 1.85?
- All of the boxes must be unchecked including the reboot option? If not which ones need to be checked?
- I click on the "PDA" button to load the TWRP zip file correct?

- Regarding step 8:
- What do you mean "dont get worry when things get funky"? Funky as in the phone takes long to reboot or the screen flashes weird colors/patterns?

- Also, I came across Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V5.0.0 SPRINT thread. That one seems pretty easy to follow through. Would that option work for me given that I have the KNOX update?

Thanks again for your help.

roofus1218
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well, I've done a bit more reading into the Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V5.0.0 SPRINT thread and it seems that might be the way to go. Mark mentions the KNOX update in his changelog. I don't have the necessary posts to post a question in that thread so hopefully someone sees this that's familiar with that method. Does this method apply to a phone that has already undergone the KNOX update?

From what I can understand, Mark has made a recovery as well as a root tool. I bought this phone second hand so any warranty issues (e.g. flash counts, etc.) don't really apply to me. I'm just looking to get the phone to a clean state where I can start fresh and then add TWRP and Root. As far as the version of TWRP, Billard412 says (in post #604) that "Version of twrp doesn't matter as far as I know."

My second question is, using the Unified Toolkit, will i be able to restore my phone to stock and then root it with the least amount of problems?

jambon58
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus1218 View Post
Well, I've done a bit more reading into the Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V5.0.0 SPRINT thread and it seems that might be the way to go. Mark mentions the KNOX update in his changelog. I don't have the necessary posts to post a question in that thread so hopefully someone sees this that's familiar with that method. Does this method apply to a phone that has already undergone the KNOX update?

From what I can understand, Mark has made a recovery as well as a root tool. I bought this phone second hand so any warranty issues (e.g. flash counts, etc.) don't really apply to me. I'm just looking to get the phone to a clean state where I can start fresh and then add TWRP and Root. As far as the version of TWRP, Billard412 says (in post #604) that "Version of twrp doesn't matter as far as I know."

My second question is, using the Unified Toolkit, will i be able to restore my phone to stock and then root it with the least amount of problems?
I belive your best option is billard412s thread. You are correct with your Odin steps. Flash TWRP and follow thread you should be golden

roofus1218
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Awesome thanks a bunch!