[A510] [How-to] Flash stock ICS recovery and stock ICS rom on Acer A510

27th February 2014, 01:00 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 656

2,235 posts
More
Hello co-A510 users,

I've been lurking for quite a while and I repeatedly see questions about "how to get the JB bootloader?". Followed by the answer "Go back to stock ICS, then get the OTA.". Usually followed by the follow-up question "B-b-but... how?"

This post attempts to answer that follow-up question, for most folks, in the easiest way possible.

The Six Steps to Stock:

Step 1: Download the Stock Acer OS (rom zip)
- Go to http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/content/drivers
- Select Tablet >> Iconia A >> A510 in the product list
- On the new web portion that will appear, select the "O.S." tab, and download your appropriate build (mine is WW.GEN 1)

Step 2: Flash the OS (rom zip)
- Save the zip in your SD card
- Enter your custom recovery, and flash it
- After the successful flash, reboot your system
- CWM will ask you if you want to keep your custom recovery, say NO. Remember, you want to go back to stock. So let the zip do it's job

Step 3: Check your System Date and Time
- Once booted, make sure that your date and time (time zone included) is correct.

Step 4: Check for System Updates
- Go to Settings >> About Tablet >> System Update >> Check now

Step 5: Wait
- If a pop-up is saying that you're on the latest version, try again at a later time.
- If there's no pop-up saying you're on the latest version, wait. It's a 252MB JB rom downloading in the background.

Step 6: OTA Update
- Once the JB zip is downloaded, a pop-up will say "Install Later, More details, Install Now"
- Select Install Now
- After a few familiar windows, you will now be on the JB recovery, and the JB rom. Ready for the adventure ahead.
The Following User Says Thank You to salisbury_steak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2014, 05:40 AM   |  #2  
Flag Queretaro
Thanks Meter: 5

46 posts
More
This is nice, but a little info regarding why installing JB bootloader would be nice (if I remember correctly one of the things is to reduce the screen flicker, but that's what I THINK), and also how to root and get back in custom ROM road

Oh, and also, is there a way to know what verion of tab we have if we're already on custom ROM?
Last edited by Lusanagi; 27th February 2014 at 05:49 AM.
27th February 2014, 06:51 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manila

2,235 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusanagi

This is nice, but a little info regarding why installing JB bootloader would be nice (if I remember correctly one of the things is to reduce the screen flicker, but that's what I THINK), and also how to root and get back in custom ROM road

Oh, and also, is there a way to know what verion of tab we have if we're already on custom ROM?

The main reason that you would want to have the JB bootloader, is to fix the audio stutter bug of the ICS bootloader.

(If you're on the ICS bootloader, play some music files, then turn your screen off. The CPU throttles down to the point of slowing down your music player.)

About how to root JB, I think it should deserve it's own thread. I simply follow the one here, it's pretty complete already (I rooted my stock JB just an hour ago):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5#post35907925

And yes, whatever ROM you are on, you almost always have the settings >> about phone menu.
27th February 2014, 03:06 PM   |  #4  
Flag Queretaro
Thanks Meter: 5

46 posts
More
what I meant was get the appropriate build (either WW.GEN 1 or AAP.AU2); I did enter About Phone, but wasn't able to find any of that data (obviously)
The Following User Says Thank You to Lusanagi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2014, 03:53 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manila

2,235 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusanagi

what I meant was get the appropriate build (either WW.GEN 1 or AAP.AU2); I did enter About Phone, but wasn't able to find any of that data (obviously)

Ah... good point. What I personally did was to restore my nandroid back-up from my stock image.

As an alternative, I would say flash NoThrills' optimized WW Gen1 rom. However, I do admit that it is something that I never tried as base. And it's a "do it at your own risk" thing.
6th April 2014, 05:55 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 9

15 posts
Firmware version 1.073 A510 ICS
After flashing you will have stock firmware 1.73.00 WW GEN with closed bootloader.
Flash the fastboot mode (with unlock bootloader).
Run the restore.bat in the extracted archive folder.
After flashing tablet upgraded to firmware version AV051_A510_1.034.00_WW_GEN1 by OTA.
First post in 4PDA

Sorry for my english ..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
a510, recovery, rom, stock
Previous Thread Next Thread