[PREVIEW] Galaxy S3 - MultiBoot project in progress

Search This thread

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
I've been getting reboots when I install anything to multi-boot and when I install certain zips to internal :C

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Hi Smash2Bash, did you check that your internal sdcard is not full ?
It could be also a filesystem problem, in this case, if you know how to use adb, you can try this :
- boot into recoery
- menu mount : uncheck everything
- with adb :
adb shell e2fsck -y /dev/block/mmcblk0p15
adb shell e2fsck -y /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
adb shell e2fsck -y /dev/block/mmcblk0p17

Philippe,

matrixzone

Mar 19, 2012
Phillipe, the problem is I can't write to external card and the app don't see the files. The picture gallery don't show the pictures from the external card. But I can browse to the external card with file explorer without problem.
Thanks

+1

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
Phillipe, the problem is I can't write to external card and the app don't see the files. The picture gallery don't show the pictures from the external card. But I can browse to the external card with file explorer without problem.
Thanks

Hi stanguay, v2.12 is online, can you check that this version solved access to external sdcard.
This quickfix is for roms in internal sdcard to acces read/write to external sdcard (for roms on external, it will need more analysis).

Philippe,

Reactions: stanguay
B

Bass_Man25

Off-topic: is there any way to get 2.12 working on d2tmo? I'm having the same issue where I cannot access the external SD card in any multi boot ROMs.

Can I just take the d2att recovery, amend the asserts, and then flash onto my d2tmo?

Thanks.

LegoFarmer

Nov 14, 2012
When I create a new rom on sd card, I go to set it and nothing shows... I tried setting on on internal and it worked, so what is up? I am on 2.11

EDIT: Got it to work, but booting into CM only shows the S3 logo and stays that way, nothing else happens... Any ideas? It says "Format and Mount System, Mount Data...". I can press them and it vibrates, but they don't get checked... Strange.

Last edited:

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
Off-topic: is there any way to get 2.12 working on d2tmo? I'm having the same issue where I cannot access the external SD card in any multi boot ROMs.

Can I just take the d2att recovery, amend the asserts, and then flash onto my d2tmo?

Thanks.

Hi Bass_Man25, yes just asserts to modify and repack to make it for d2tmo.
Usually, when I release a new multiboot version, I package one for each S3 variant (d2att, d2tmo, d2vzw and d2spr) but I forgot for the 2.12 version.

Philippe,

B

Bass_Man25

Hi Bass_Man25, yes just asserts to modify and repack to make it for d2tmo.
Usually, when I release a new multiboot version, I package one for each S3 variant (d2att, d2tmo, d2vzw and d2spr) but I forgot for the 2.12 version.

Philippe,

Merci, Philippe. I got it working in my d2tmo by changing the asserts and the external SD problem is gone. :)

BTW, sad to see the Canadiens down 2-0 (I'm originally from Toronto and saw my team's playoff chances collapse, so I'm hoping for the Habs to win it).

Richard14

Jun 2, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm kind of a newbie in playing with custom roms but I've been running CM10.2 (upgraded from 10.1) for a while now on my Verizon S3 (SCH‑I535). However, I'm gonna need my phone to run a normal Samsung/Verizon stock rom for testing new apps.

If I have both installed with multiboot, will the Samsung/Verizon stock rom behave exactly like all other non-rooted S3s?

Will I have to avoid the latest Verizon update?

Thanks,

Richard.

LegoFarmer

Nov 14, 2012
Is there 2.12 for Verizon? If not, how can I use the AT@T one like the guy who used it for D2tmo? I don't understand "asserts to modify"

Last edited:

LegoFarmer

Nov 14, 2012
When I set a new rom on external SD card, there is no place to flash a rom because it doesn't recognize anything in the internal sd card if that makes sense.

EDIT: Eventually I worked around it, but when I boot into the rom, I just get the GSIII logo and a pulsing blue LED (That would normally display as if the rom were booting up)... So this isn't working for me and I'm not sure why. I've tried multiple times. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For technical questions,
    Please use this thread now in dev subforum
    :
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2684052
    (new versions are published there)

[Updated 2014/03/10]
    version 1.2
    migration to twrp2.7.0.0
    sizing of system/data/cache now possible
    real internal/external sd mounted ( respectively in /storage/intsdcard and /storage/extsdcard )
    new way to boot roms​

[Updated 2014/02/07]
    version 1.1 to fix kernel injection bug ( Slimkat not starting ) - kload_hardboot

[Updated 2014/02/05]

- new version d2att-twrp-v2.6.3-mb-v1.0 :
    - Xposed fixed
    - new feature to reboot from android​

- new app multiboot.apk ( need d2att-twrp-v2.6.3-mb-v1.0 )

- add credits/reference at the end of message

- add zip version ( to be able to install without odin - only for d2att )​

Hi all,

I managed to make working multiboot feature on Galaxy S3.

Below are some videos preview that I did demonstrating the features ( don't look at sound, I removed it because my english is not fluent).

This project is at an early stage but already working with limitations.

If you want to try it, beware that it is dangerous (no risk to brick but if you make mistake you risk to install a zip into your internal rom), so to test it, please follow exactly the operations in videos examples.

Very important recommendations to test :

- BACKUP all your data first !
    - Use only your internal if you have at least 4G available ( 7GB recommended because I create sparsed img files but if you fill all the rom, it will take 7GB )
    - Use your external sd card only if :
    - you have at least 7 GB free
    - your filesystem is vfat or ext4 ( exfat,ntfs not supported for the moment )
    - Very very important : when you use "set rom" option, you have to see "command succeded" at the end of the output. If not, don't go further and reboot.
    - start by playing with recovery roms ( check video ) before testing full rom
    - creating rom on vfat can take about 15 minutes (to create img files). Be patient...

The method used is an adapted kexec-hardboot method created by mkasic (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1266827), but with a complete replacement of kexec by another userspace program ( kload-harboot ) and a very small kernel patch ( hardboot-reserve ).
    Note also that this adapted method is easily portable to any android devices.

If you are interested in this project ( to help for testing, to help dev, to add features etc..), I will open a thread in the developpement subforum, to published sources and explanations.

Booting multiples ROMs demo:

Playing with recovery roms:

Creating a new rom, installing gapps ( if not done at first stage ) :

New Multiboot android app

0993e0b6-1b6b-4421-a3f7-a246821f5afb_zpsb1fa4aa9.png

Attachements :

Odin : use d2att-twrp-v2.6.3-mb-v1.1.tar
    TWRP/CWM : d2att-twrp-v2.6.3-mb-v1.1.zip
    Android app : Multiboot.apk ( need to allow unknown sources )
    d2att-twrp2.7-mb-v1.2 : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407577797

References / Credits :
    mkasic : kexec-hardboot creator - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1266827
    Tassadar : MultiROM creator - best project - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2011403 - bbootimg used
    TWRP Team : http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2

Philippe,
    Hi All,

Just to give you progress. I'm actively working on improving functionalities especially to manage roms ( and mainly to improve sizing ).
    A very good step has been reach (just proof of concept).

Here are the improvements on which I'm working :

• Real internal and external sdcard mounted and accessible (root) ==> Done
    • New way to boot rom ( not visible but it was prerequisite for next feature below ) ==> Done
    • qcow2 support with qemu-img : This is a huge improvement.
      ==> Working (manually tested)
      => this open a lot of optimisations
      • thin provisioning even on non sparsable fs (vfat,exfat,...)
      • snapshots/rollback
      • compression
      • liveboot Android ( like linux liveCD distrib )
      • other backend format might be supported as well (raw,vmdk,vdi..)
    • Full LiveDroid ( all rom in memory, need small rom) ==> Working (manually tested)
    • Rom management from Multiboot ==> Not started
      • Rom creation
      • Rom Management(Sizing, cloning, snapshot, renaming)
      • Zip selection (installation done from recovery automaticaly)
    • New supported fs for sdcard ( exfat, ntfs ) ==> Not started ( but not too difficult )
    • Watchdog to monitor real space left ==> Not started
    • Unionsfs and fusecompress tested but overkilled by qcow2 ==> abandonned

Test with qcow2 format has been done an external vfat sdcard with slimkat. Without compression, all ROM (with some programs) takes only 1.2G and a compressed version, only 700MB.

Now I need to compile different kernels to start implementation and tests. The small difference is just to add ndb block devices support.
    So far, CM versions (3.4.66, 3.4.77, 3.4.80) are compiling well but could not make working TW4.3 kernel (from kt747 git sources, compilation well but not booting). Does anybody know where I can find TW4.3 kernel sources (3.0.31) to compile or have any clue to compile TW4.3 kernel ? I will try to contact devs as well, and to ask them to compile their kernel with nbd block devices included.

[edit] Succeed to compile TW kernels with NBD support (KT747 and DKP) . Implementation/tests of qcow2 can continue...

Thank's
    Philippe,
    Hi all,

Integration of qcow2 support is now finished.
    Multiboot v2.0RC1 is ready. This new release will be uploaded probably this week end.

qcow2 file format is a very famous in opensource virtualisation world ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qcow ).
    It will be very adapted to our external sdcard where thin provisionning is not possible ( vfat for example ).

With it, we can also :

- compress ROMs to save space on sdcard
    - create snapshot and boot on it.
    - liveboot ROMs ( all rom and filesystem in memory )

He are some video demo :

- cm11 creation, boot on it, compression, reboot : http://youtu.be/z8c8Ui2PvDs
    - light tw43 creation, boot on it, compression, reboot live (in memory) : http://youtu.be/Y_z2_Lz-KGw
    - multibooting randomly among ~15 roms on sdcard : http://youtu.be/LGoTb0u5oX0

At this time only dkp kernels are compatibles (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2226889). Big thanks to dkp to include nbd block devices.

Before release this new version, I have to prepare a manual and explanations about how to use it for optimal results.
    Maybe a dev thread in developpement subforum will fit better than in general section.

NB : some part of video are boring ( during compression ) but I wanted to let it go live to have an idea of processing times.

Philippe,
    Thanks for the update. If possible can you use the latest version of twrp i.e. 2.7.0.0?

Hi matrixzone, yes multiboot will use twrp2.7 version.

version 1.2 uploaded.

This version is based on twrp2.7 ( nice update, thank's to twrp team ! ) with few new features.

I will need beta testers for qcow2 version.
    Be aware that qcow2 is very nice but with side effects ( slow performances, hibernations problems, modified targeted kernels for ndb blocks ) that I tried to reduce with some constaints to accept... img files with loop devices are by far easier to manage but qcow2 could be an alternative especially for external sdcards. Also, I did not get a lot of answers to kernel devs to include nbd devices to their kernel so choice of kernels will be limited. On this subject big thanks to decimalman who answered very quickly to my request.

Philippe,
    That's fascinating....So actually the original rom stays UNTOUCHED and this "multiboot" rom is added onto it and within multiboot you can load others? I thought it was much more "intrusive" if you will, where you had to get rid of your rom and do an advanced fresh install of multiboot that supports 2 separate rom images....but what you explained is SO much more useful....so, no xposed but what are the other limitations?

Would the dev please answer this? Also, where do you see development headed and what are you currently facing? I'm super interested in this it would just be a pity for it to a) never get finished/die off or b) not enough interest or users....

I am considering using this so I can use touchwiz to watch youtube and stuff with my TV. However no xposed is kinda a stinker :( Makes sense though because if it's not a very dynamic image file w/ storage then it wouldn't save custom system stuff like xposed.

Hi berryman13,

Yes you are right, roms do not share data each other.

After checked, I confirm that Xposed is not working but I think I found a fix. Next version is almost ready and will include this fix. No need to reinstall roms, Xposed will work ( I hope so... )
    A new feature will also be added : ability to swap from one rom to another from android ( no need to boot to recovery and manual action to select rom ) with an android app.
    screenshots :

f5cfefb6-8ab3-433c-9852-a819c6050215_zpsc0db8bfc.png
    0993e0b6-1b6b-4421-a3f7-a246821f5afb_zpsb1fa4aa9.png

Good work on this project.

One ROM which is not booting with multiboot is Slim ROM latest release. Hope OP can nail down the issue soon..

Hi Matrixzone,

Can you point the thread ( just to be sure ), I will take a look.

Philippe,