Thinking of leaving sprint, would like some opinions.

Search This thread

Varekai

Mar 5, 2009
I have been with sprint for 8 years now. Just got the M8 for the new spark network that according to sprints coverage map, I was fully covered in. We'll, that's not the case. Been having a lot of problems, mainly if I drop to 3g, I actually have no data and no phone calls and can't send texts. Apparently this is a mass problem that could be a while to fix. I still have ten days to return it and reverse my contract. I would like to know from those of you on Verizon, how the service and speeds generally are. Sprint is so bad that if I'm somewhere I don't know where I'm at and try to pull up a route on maps, it will fail to pull anything up, or search for a route until it says no connection, even with 4 bars. It's hard for me to leave since I've been with them for 8 years, but I'm really getting tired of it. Also I would like some opinions on if I should get the phone through Verizon itself or best buy. Reason I ask is when I bought my original HTC one I went through 3 of them, all for different hardware issues. Each time it was a hassle. Had to go to different stores, call sprint, one store even said I was lying about my LTE not working on the phone and that I don't have LTE in my area, even tho the previous one got LTE.

ericerk

Jun 21, 2010
I have been with sprint for 8 years now. Just got the M8 for the new spark network that according to sprints coverage map, I was fully covered in. We'll, that's not the case. Been having a lot of problems, mainly if I drop to 3g, I actually have no data and no phone calls and can't send texts. Apparently this is a mass problem that could be a while to fix. I still have ten days to return it and reverse my contract. I would like to know from those of you on Verizon, how the service and speeds generally are. Sprint is so bad that if I'm somewhere I don't know where I'm at and try to pull up a route on maps, it will fail to pull anything up, or search for a route until it says no connection, even with 4 bars. It's hard for me to leave since I've been with them for 8 years, but I'm really getting tired of it. Also I would like some opinions on if I should get the phone through Verizon itself or best buy. Reason I ask is when I bought my original HTC one I went through 3 of them, all for different hardware issues. Each time it was a hassle. Had to go to different stores, call sprint, one store even said I was lying about my LTE not working on the phone and that I don't have LTE in my area, even tho the previous one got LTE.

Where are you located?

Karl

Nov 27, 2009
California
download open signal or sensorly from the market it should give you a idea of the coverage Verizon or hell even sprint offers in your area before you decide

dsEVOlve

Sep 2, 2010
I was in your exact position a week ago. I had been with Sprint for 12 years and it almost felt like cheating on my wife going into a Verizon store. I am in Austin, TX which has been one of the first markets to get network upgrades. When I first got the EVO LTE it was about 6 months before I saw my first LTE signal and it was at work. The speeds were GREAT....for a few months. Once everyone got an LTE capable phone it was all downhill and speeds went to crap. Anytime I traveled I had the same problem with getting maps to work, like you described. I had to pull into a Starbucks or McDonald's to get WiFi to figure out where I was going. I finally had it last weekend when both my wife (iPhone) and I couldn't get any data to find the nearest oil change place while sitting at an intersection of two major highways on a Sunday morning. We could have hoped for better service with the Spark network but it just seemed liked deja vu all over again.

I went into Verizon store that had the phone I wanted (M8) and they would give my wife $210 on her iPhone 4s trade in along with $100 per line activation. I switched over and even though its only been a week I am amazed. I am getting LTE on Verizon where I couldn't even get 3g on sprint. And the LTE speeds are about 3-5 times better than I got on Sprint. I don't have unlimited data anymore but having an unlimited amount of something that never works is worthless. I'm paying the same amount for a 4 GB plan now BUT IT WORKS! Based in the performance I've seen the past week I just feel stupid for not doing this sooner. All my favorite apps that require data just start working immediately (e.g. steaming music or video). I mistakenly thought there was only a subtle difference between carriers but I was wrong. Just check out rootmetrics.com (HUGE help). You won't be sorry you changed.

TLDR: Sprint sucks. Change carriers. Don't look back. M8 rocks.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda premium

Reactions: jax187

eighty1

Apr 8, 2009
Atlanta
I think we all know by now what carriers can deliver. If anyone is traveling in mostly rural areas Verizon or AT&T is your best option. For overall coverage Verizon wins hands down, but you pay more for it. I live in the city of Atlanta and every carriers has great coverage in the heart of the city. Which makes me want to switch T-Mobile because I would save about $40, but whenever I take a road trip I'm reminded why I pay for Verizon and deal with locked bootloaders, and of course my unlimited data. While I love Verizon, I also love flashing ROMS. Verizon doesn't help us at all in that regard and it's something to consider IMO. Most people don't know you get university discounts on carriers and it's usually 15%, which has me looking at AT&T also knowing I'd be giving up unlimited. [emoji30]

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

alexrud

Apr 18, 2007
Western NY
I was in the same boat you are. I am in Western NY and had Sprint for almost 12 years and was relatively happy with the service *for the price* until 4G/LTE was being rolled out by all of the carriers and they left Sprint in the dust (in my area). I've had THREE 4G capable phones in the last 5 years (Evo, Evo 3D, Evo 4G LTE) and didn't see any 4G service in my area until late last year. Just last week I started getting a 4G signal at my house - one bar and DL speeds were around 1 Mbps. Furthermore, I was paying the monthly $10 fee for the 'smartphone experience' and never saw any real ROI.

I went to Verizon yesterday and picked up an M8 on the $60/1GB plan. For me, 1GB is just fine as i'm on WiFi 80% of the time and i'm good at monitoring my data usage. Service-wise I get a full signal at my house and 30Mbps DL speeds. I'm not looking back.

Last edited:

Varekai

Mar 5, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I downloaded the apps and will check them out. Bootloader being locked down was mentioned, does this mean you can't unlock it with HTC Dec unlock to s-off and root? I don't know if I can live without rooting. Also does Verizon give a hard time about exchanging a rooted device? I know people at sprint store have always given me a hard time with it.

Varekai

Mar 5, 2009
Well according to those two apps, sprint actually has better 4g from where I live to where I work.

sofla2

Jul 11, 2011
Naples, FL
I was with Sprint for 10 years. I live in Naples Florida. About 2 years ago the big news was all the 4G LTE towers that were going up. When they lit ours up, it was spotty at best. My service was always terrible with Sprint. I had the EVO 4G lte when the service went live, but it wouldn't hold a 4g signal. I was due for an upgrade when the M7 came out, so I got one. Same crap. When Verizon came out with the M7, I decided to give Verizon a try. I think I had the phone for about 10 minutes when I decided to cancel my contract with Sprint and go with Verizon. To this day I still cant get over how much better the service, especially the data is. What good is unlimited data if it hardly works?

Dec 26, 2010
I also left Sprint for similar reason. It has all been hope and not much to show in the end. I live is the greater Los Angeles area. When I first switch to Sprint was because their family plans were actually priced well and the discount I was getting made my 2-line family plan with unlimited everything for $110 a month, compare to other carriers.

As to.e went by and policies have changed, being that their data plans are $30, I now only get discount on the data (Verizon does the same). I was barely getting a $3 discount.

Their 4G WiMax was good but spotty. Their 4G LTE now was also ok but spotty. And I really didn't want to hope that their spark will be any better in terms of coverage.

My company gives me a Verizon Android base phone. In which it has work so damn great and that's what it made me switch to Verizon now on my personal line.

Sprint 2 lines - employee discount = $155 a month

Verizon 2 lines - employee discount = $147

I do get 22% discount because of my employer.

buddahj

Dec 8, 2012
Walton, KY
I've had Sprint for the past 10 years & finally gave them the boot. Well almost, I'm still stuck with them for another week or so since I'm waiting for my M8 to come in. I went thru best buy and they had to order the phone. My wife & kids are on Verizon now and absolutely love it. On Sprint, we have to use an airave just to make calls in the house. On Verizon, they have full bars on 4g lte. Without the airave, I'm lucky to to have 1 bar. It's the same at my work. In fact, I'm better off setting my phone to roam. I get Verizon 3g because of the PRL I use. On Sprints network, maybe a bar. I've complained numerous times to Sprint, and they don't really care. All they kept saying was that lte is right around the corner. They've been saying that for a few years now. If I'm going to spend this kind of money for 4 smartphones I'd like to be able to use them to their fullest.

I loved Sprint when I first had my original EVO. But the WiMax was virtually nonexistent, and when I bought my first LTE phone it was nonexistent for a year but I still had to pay for it. That was the first major strike, and as of the last year with them the LTE coverage was terrible, and due to that and their crappy 3G I couldn't even stream music the whole way home from work, it would drop out. Sooo, me and the wife decided it was time to go. Contracts up this year, and when the M8 was announced we got new phones that day. I'll never look back. LTE all the time with like two exceptions, and I get about 25 Mbs in downtown St Louis. Plus, we paid about $200-210 per month on Sprint and now we pay about $160-170 on Verizon. Well worth it.

Stickboy46

Aug 31, 2007
Maps rarely tell the store. Why don't you purchase a new verizon line and try it. Don't port your number just yet. All carriers have a 14 day return policy and a 3 day zero cost guarantee. If you cancel within 3 days you pay nothing, between 3 and 14 you only pay for the partial month service and activation fee. If you go through a 3rd party like Best Buy Mobile, there are no restocking fees either.

This way you can see for yourself how it works. If you decided to keep the carrier, call them up and have them port your old number over the top of the new temporary number.

Flip35

Oct 20, 2010
florida
Google Pixel 5a
Google Pixel 6a
I'm at Ocala Fl, had Sprint for ten yrs no matter how much I tried to ignore the network,it's just too slow. Any emergency I need like us I g Google maps quick, it just took for ever. I've been in Verizon 3 yrs and love it, I hate that they are more strict with rooting and unlocking but their 4g???? Solid every where I go. I have the Dish Network app that I can watch cable anywhere I go and because of 4G, the quality it's awesome

LPChris

Jul 14, 2007

I had the exact same problems as you with my Sprint HTC One M7 and switched to Verizon late last year. It's been a WORLD of difference. I too was sick and tired of hearing Sprint talking about launching 14 different 4G networks and getting charged for them only to never receive the service. Verizon's coverage is so much better, I don't drop any calls anymore and my connection is actually usable. Even when I only have a bar or two of service I can still access the data network which I sometimes couldn't do when I had 4 bars on Sprint. It was also a bit cheaper for me to switch as I had two unlimited my way plans on Sprint costing around $180 a month whereas with Verizon I can have two lines with 4G of data (more than enough considering I was used to always connecting to WiFi because Sprint's network was so bad) for $150/mo.

Seriously, make the switch. Sprint is awful.

P.S. I paid TWO large ETFs to get away from Sprint. That's how bad I wanted to get away from them.

Last edited:

JasonJoel

Apr 23, 2008
The 3 different times I tried Sprint, in 3 different parts of the country, it was so slow I couldn't stand it.

Both AT&T and Verizon are light years ahead of Sprint, based on my experiences.

Varekai

Mar 5, 2009
I had the exact same problems as you with my Sprint HTC One M7 and switched to Verizon late last year. It's been a WORLD of difference. I too was sick and tired of hearing Sprint talking about launching 14 different 4G networks and getting charged for them only to never receive the service. Verizon's coverage is so much better, I don't drop any calls anymore and my connection is actually usable. Even when I only have a bar or two of service I can still access the data network which I sometimes couldn't do when I had 4 bars on Sprint. It was also a bit cheaper for me to switch as I had two unlimited my way plans on Sprint costing around $180 a month whereas with Verizon I can have two lines with 4G of data (more than enough considering I was used to always connecting to WiFi because Sprint's network was so bad) for $150/mo.

Seriously, make the switch. Sprint is awful.

P.S. I paid TWO large ETFs to get away from Sprint. That's how bad I wanted to get away from them.

I did this morning. Went from .03mb to 223mb on speed test at work. Unfortunately I'm having a problem with the phone locking up. Twice I hit the power button abd screen wouldn't turn on I had to hold power ablnd vol buttons to reboot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was in your exact position a week ago. I had been with Sprint for 12 years and it almost felt like cheating on my wife going into a Verizon store. I am in Austin, TX which has been one of the first markets to get network upgrades. When I first got the EVO LTE it was about 6 months before I saw my first LTE signal and it was at work. The speeds were GREAT....for a few months. Once everyone got an LTE capable phone it was all downhill and speeds went to crap. Anytime I traveled I had the same problem with getting maps to work, like you described. I had to pull into a Starbucks or McDonald's to get WiFi to figure out where I was going. I finally had it last weekend when both my wife (iPhone) and I couldn't get any data to find the nearest oil change place while sitting at an intersection of two major highways on a Sunday morning. We could have hoped for better service with the Spark network but it just seemed liked deja vu all over again.

I went into Verizon store that had the phone I wanted (M8) and they would give my wife $210 on her iPhone 4s trade in along with $100 per line activation. I switched over and even though its only been a week I am amazed. I am getting LTE on Verizon where I couldn't even get 3g on sprint. And the LTE speeds are about 3-5 times better than I got on Sprint. I don't have unlimited data anymore but having an unlimited amount of something that never works is worthless. I'm paying the same amount for a 4 GB plan now BUT IT WORKS! Based in the performance I've seen the past week I just feel stupid for not doing this sooner. All my favorite apps that require data just start working immediately (e.g. steaming music or video). I mistakenly thought there was only a subtle difference between carriers but I was wrong. Just check out rootmetrics.com (HUGE help). You won't be sorry you changed.

TLDR: Sprint sucks. Change carriers. Don't look back. M8 rocks.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda premium