Default [Q] Exchange not working in PA 4.2 (beta 3) for HOXL?

Is the KitKat Exchange issue fixed in the AOSP 4.4.2. code base? Here is but one example of the problems that appears to persist through 4.4.2 in Nexus devices
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11...et-determined/

I just downloaded PA 4.2 (beta3) for the HOXL and the Exchange issue is there in full force. Can't set up an Exchange account, can't get the stock Email app to connect, and third party apps such as CloudMagic barf too. To troubleshoot I

a) Installed CM10.2 which runs off the Android 4.3 base. Exchange problems went away
b) Extracted Email.apk from the PA 4.2 (beta 3) download and replaced CM10.2's Email.apk with it. Exchange stopped working in the stock app only but continued working in third-party apps such as CloudMagic
c) Tested Exchange on a tablet running Android 4.4.2 (proprietary version for an unreleased device I am test driving, can't share more details). Exchange does not work there too - neither with the stock apps nor with third-party apps like CloudMagic, so this appears to be more than an app issue with 4.4.2

Samsung and HTC just shipped flagship devices with 4.4.2., I can't believe they and the carriers would let such a bug out the door, so they must have fixed it without waiting for Google to take their thumb out of their a*s. Any advice? I really like PA much better than CM, but Exchange is a must-have for me and PA 3.99 does not exist for my device (AT&T HOXL).