Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,174 Members 36,319 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Considering the HTC one m8

Tip us?

MGSBigBoss
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default Considering the HTC one m8

I am on Verizon and considering this as the phone to get for my upgrade, I currently have a DNA which I love. However it doesn't seem like a substantial upgrade from the DNA.

Rumor has it that the Sony Xperia z2 is coming to Verizon, should I wait for that as it seems like a bigger upgrade.. my options are rather limited on Verizon. I dislike Samsung.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

MGSBigBoss
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Bump

njgsx96
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGSBigBoss View Post
I am on Verizon and considering this as the phone to get for my upgrade, I currently have a DNA which I love. However it doesn't seem like a substantial upgrade from the DNA.

Rumor has it that the Sony Xperia z2 is coming to Verizon, should I wait for that as it seems like a bigger upgrade.. my options are rather limited on Verizon. I dislike Samsung.

I was in the same boat. I had the DNA as well, which I loved until the last update which made my phone very sluggish overall. Text messaging became super slow and crashed often, even after a reset. So upgrading was as close to a no-brainer as you could get. Even still, I loved my DNA phone. I am not big on Samsung phones, they feel very cheap to me and I feel Samsung is the Apple equivalent in the Android world so I am against them as far as phones. So when the M8 was announced, I was pretty excited. Went to Verizon last week to test it out. I read about all the complaints. Phone is too big, camera sucks, too heavy, etc. Needless to say I wasn't expecting much so I was surprised when I got there.

My comparison to the DNA... Worth the upgrade. The DNA is pretty big already and so the size and weight is not noticed. The M8 actually feels lighter in the hand, maybe due to me finding it more comfortable to hold. Looks-wise, no caparison and build-wise, no comparison. The M8 is better in both. I think it takes great pictures, no difference I see from my DNA and I love the additional camera features. The M8 is blazing fast and so smooth. The DNA was nice, the M8 is awesome. My buddy has a GS4 and when he picked up my phone his first comment was "damn this this fast!". Also, SD card is available now, so bonus there. No removable battery, but not a deal breaker for me as battery life is easily 1.5x that on what I was getting on the DNA.

When I got the DNA, I loved it. Then the original HTC One came out and I was a little upset I didn't wait a touch to get that but after comparing them, I felt that it was an incremental upgrade and would not be worth the cost. The M8 is a major revision compared to the DNA and is worth it. If you are unsure, wait it out until the Z2 comes out and go to compare them all.

MGSBigBoss
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Thank you for this, now I'd feel better about the transition from the DNA to the m8, however the DNA is still running very smooth atm for me do it is hard to retire the phone. If Sony doesn't announce anything soon then I may just get the m8.

HTC doesn't do the whole 2 flagship phones a year like Sony right? There isn't gonna be a m8 max or something in near future? Also it's this phone water proof?

killerapl
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGSBigBoss View Post
Thank you for this, now I'd feel better about the transition from the DNA to the m8, however the DNA is still running very smooth atm for me do it is hard to retire the phone. If Sony doesn't announce anything soon then I may just get the m8.

HTC doesn't do the whole 2 flagship phones a year like Sony right? There isn't gonna be a m8 max or something in near future? Also it's this phone water proof?

I'm also considering making the switch. In my case I have the note 2. My note is still running smoothly with a custom rom but I am so attracted to the m8 aluminum build as well as the front speakers. I'm also curious about the new LG g3 (rumors say it might have an aluminum body). I also want to update before the loophole closes to keep my unlimited data with Verizon. I'm not attracted to the s5. I wonder if there will be a new m8 Max? Decisions, decisions!

Sent from my LG-V500 using xda app-developers app

Ghost
Old
Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,007
Thread closed,

This has been closed as phone comparison threads are against forum rules.

Ghost
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe