Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 43,448 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Questions about dual boot win8 and android on w700p

Tip us?

StoneRyno
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default Questions about dual boot win8 and android on w700p

Is there any significant difference between going this route and using the emulator?
Will I be able to use all the apps and games I have on my galaxy S and S4 with either or both method?
Anything else I should be aware of I didn't think of to ask?

Thanks

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2642
Sigh... questions rightly belong in General, not D&H. Also, this (dual-booting with Android) has been asked, and discussed, a *lot* already.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

StoneRyno
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
Sigh... questions rightly belong in General, not D&H. Also, this (dual-booting with Android) has been asked, and discussed, a *lot* already.
Sorry this appeared to be the spot to ask since it is related to the subject of this section which contains the guide to doing the dual booting. And sorry I did not find the answers to my questions in searching otherwise I wouldn't have needed to post. I don't frequent the forums here enough to have known this topic has been beaten to death. Perhaps if you could please point me to relevant thread(s) that answer these questions or me. Thanks.

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
Sorry this appeared to be the spot to ask since it is related to the subject of this section which contains the guide to doing the dual booting. And sorry I did not find the answers to my questions in searching otherwise I wouldn't have needed to post. I don't frequent the forums here enough to have known this topic has been beaten to death. Perhaps if you could please point me to relevant thread(s) that answer these questions or me. Thanks.
Both of your questions have been answered in the android dual boot thread but I shall answer them again here.

There is a difference between dual boot and emulator. The emulator (I say *the*, there are a few) compatibility is poor at best and performance can only be described as absolutely abysmal.

Dual boot is running natively, it isn't fully hardware accelerated video but the performance of the w700p is so far above that a regular android tablet in the first place that this doesn't matter, its no biggy. But it is running on x86 whereas android is usually for ARM. Drivers for x86 builds are usually poor, although the w700p is pretty well off in that regard (I think bluetooth and GPS are missing, double check the original thread), on the w700p is pretty usable anyway. The google services framework and play store are not open source software though so custom android ROM's (including android-ia) cannot include them, these need sideloading from your device, again check the thread as details for how to do this are in there. After this you can use the play store fine, but some apps will not appear in the store and some may not work at all. Because the device is unrecognised, some apps which are limited to appearing for certain devices (which is one hell of alot) will not appear. Android apps are usually platform independent but some performance critical tasks can be done in a platform dependent way, a few popular 3d games do this, some apps doing this have both ARM and x86 versions of the app but most don't bother because x86 android devices are rare, as such they cannot run.

Danny2
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Also, keep in mind, that just because an app doesn't show up in google play, doesn't mean it will not run on your tablet. If you can't find it in Google play, back it up from your phone (using something like ESFile explorer to backup), transfer to your tablet, and try it. Some still won't function, or only partially function, but lots work fine.
I use Android on my W700, dualbooting, and spend almost no time at all in windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSevenSeven View Post
Both of your questions have been answered in the android dual boot thread but I shall answer them again here.

There is a difference between dual boot and emulator. The emulator (I say *the*, there are a few) compatibility is poor at best and performance can only be described as absolutely abysmal.

Dual boot is running natively, it isn't fully hardware accelerated video but the performance of the w700p is so far above that a regular android tablet in the first place that this doesn't matter, its no biggy. But it is running on x86 whereas android is usually for ARM. Drivers for x86 builds are usually poor, although the w700p is pretty well off in that regard (I think bluetooth and GPS are missing, double check the original thread), on the w700p is pretty usable anyway. The google services framework and play store are not open source software though so custom android ROM's (including android-ia) cannot include them, these need sideloading from your device, again check the thread as details for how to do this are in there. After this you can use the play store fine, but some apps will not appear in the store and some may not work at all. Because the device is unrecognised, some apps which are limited to appearing for certain devices (which is one hell of alot) will not appear. Android apps are usually platform independent but some performance critical tasks can be done in a platform dependent way, a few popular 3d games do this, some apps doing this have both ARM and x86 versions of the app but most don't bother because x86 android devices are rare, as such they cannot run.