FORUMS

[Q] Is this phone still worth buying?

30 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By Descendent182, Member on 28th March 2014, 10:48 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi, someone is trying to sell my gf this phone for about 150 USD, Is it better than a moto g? Is it still worth buying?

28th March 2014, 11:08 PM |#2  
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 536

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descendent182

Hi, someone is trying to sell my gf this phone for about 150 USD, Is it better than a moto g? Is it still worth buying?

That's a pretty good price... but I wouldn't buy this phone for $150 (Way too many problems with it to fit in 1 post).
The main problems with it:
-Terrible performance in Samsung Jelly Bean (very slow, slightly laggy in scrolling, not enough RAM to keep 2 apps in memory at the same time)
-Appalling performance in AOSP firmwares (extremely fast, terribly laggy in scrolling) - that's Samsungs fault due to them not giving a rats ass about devs
-Black clipping with the screen
-A legacy phone now (No more official updates, fewer devs)

If your GF doesn't mind a small screen and probably an inferior camera to the Note's then she should get the Moto.
28th March 2014, 11:10 PM |#3  
Flag ಠ_ಠ
Thanks Meter: 186

More
Quote:

150 would be spot on for value, imho. If the N7000 is in peak condition. Is it better then a moto G? No. I would say the moto G is slightly better. But the note does have some things going for it: Bigger, Better screen (IMHO) and the stylus.

I would only recommend it with a custom rom. Stock firmware is not good.

I would not trade my N7000 for a moto G.
30th March 2014, 09:43 PM |#4  
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 401

More
It is a legacy device.. still pretty good with stock jellybean.. yes a bit slow but gb firmware can always come in handy! yet I suggest you to leave a 2.5 year old device and get the moto g with stock 4.4 latest update!
31st March 2014, 12:20 AM |#5  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,685

More
Go with the Moto G. You'll get official KitKat, future updates and a fresher community here at XDA. You're basically buying a "dead" device if you choose the Note.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2014, 05:23 PM |#6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up
Ok, I'll stick with moto g then, thanks!
31st March 2014, 10:30 PM |#7  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Descriptions above are generally correct, however there are things not to forget (from my personal experience, I still own the Note):

1. Much larger screen
2. SD card slot (mine was effectively 48 GB)
3. Replaceable battery (2 times already replaced for ~$15 a piece)
4. Better camera

If I was forced to choose between the two it'd be real hard for me.
2nd April 2014, 01:18 PM |#8  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 351

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatkovladko

Descriptions above are generally correct, however there are things not to forget (from my personal experience, I still own the Note):

1. Much larger screen
2. SD card slot (mine was effectively 48 GB)
3. Replaceable battery (2 times already replaced for ~$15 a piece)
4. Better camera

If I was forced to choose between the two it'd be real hard for me.

I would still go for the Note 2. Not to be bias, but since the Note 2 is getting cheaper now, it's a good choice due to it's screen size, performance and the support u can get here at XDA.

Sent from the fabulous N7105 running AOSB,
From a small country named Singapore,
PM me if u need help,
And "Thank" me if I helped you!
3rd April 2014, 11:40 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 575

More
Quote:

I would say it is worth buying for that price.
I haven't played with a Moto G so I don't know if it is better or not.
The Samsung Note is still a great phone is you run the right ROM.
I have had mine since it was released and can't see any great reason to upgrade as it does everything I need it to do.
I don't get my phones on contract, I tend to buy them outright and get a cheap SIM only deal.

There are lots of customised stock ROMs with the Samsung UI and apps for the S-Pen.
Or there are many awesome vanilla-esque tweaked KitKat ROMs such as Omni and Dirty Unicorns.

Watch out for a phone that won't charge.
Could be a damaged USB daughter board (about £35 in the UK at Samsung repair centre).
Or could be a knackered battery (about £30 from Samsung, good alternatives from Anser etc. for under £20)

Also...............
The camera is awesome.
You can slot anything up to 64Gb SD card into the Note, depending upon ROM/Kernel.
It is very well built.
But don't expect any further Samsung support, your support will be through Google and XDA.
Last edited by FabreFaction; 3rd April 2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: updated
6th April 2014, 11:31 PM |#10  
Note ftw
Having tried both phones (moto g has a friend of mine and i am a proud owner of a Note), i can assure you it is great value for money for the price you said. Here in greece it is sold around 230$ for a used one. You should consider buying it if you want a bigger and better screen (AMOLED = deeper blacks and more vibrant colours), a stylus, more cases, back covers, huge batteries(3000 mAh +) and generally more accessories . Also keep in mind that with a stock rom (many crapsung apps and stuff in it...) it is a bit sluggish and you better go custom (or else it is not worth it IMHO). Since it is a rather popular phone there are many custom roms with kitkat at the moment. I choose roms compiled with linaro or sabermod toolchains since they are a lot smoother(my note is more buttery smooth compared to my cousin's stock galaxy s4) and more battery friendly than other custom roms. I use the Slimsaber rom and never thought of changing to another phone since then
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)